Harry Potter - Live to Projection Concerts

bollemanneke

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Anyway...

Booked me a ticket for Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone live to screen concert in Rotterdam, November 3.

Looking forward.

I'm hoping to see it in London next year. 

Karol

I'm hoping it comes to New England eventually!

Seems like I should have made the effort to go down to Philadelphia in June for it.  Oh well.

While not my favourite 21st century score, it is probably the most perfect candidate for this kind of a performance. The music is very prominent and very upfront, and it flows nicely. Definitely something to witness.

Karol

Yes, out of all posible live to projection concerts, this one really has it in the cards to be the most sucessful one, for all the reasons you mentioned plus the popularity of the movie.  My wife really wants to go, for example

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Will you report back on unused/tracked music/whatever changes they made?

I'm more interested to see if they do that for Chamber of Secrets when the time comes. The tracked cues in that film are crazy!

2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

They can hardly leave those scenes unscored...

Of course, but some of the tracked cues - especially the one when Harry enters the chamber - have so many layers that it would be a better performance overall if they used one or two long selections.

The first four films (and their scores) are much more loved by general audiences than the latter four.  I suspect the concerts for the latter four will make considerably less money than those of the original four.

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I'd rather he re-wrote HP5 and 6 in that case. How in the world can you make these interesting in concert?

In general Hooper's work was boring, but they weren't terrible. There are a few very good cues in HP6 that stand out when looking at the series's music as a whole.

4 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Sure, but as a concert experience, they're so unchallenging.

Indeed. You could quietly replace a lot of Hooper's music and no one would notice.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

The first four films (and their scores) are much more loved by general audiences than the latter four.  I suspect the concerts for the latter four will make considerably less money than those of the original four.

I think there'll be a steady drop in general after the first one. Well, I could see Azkaban and/or Goblet getting more attendance than Chamber of Secrets.

But I agree that the first four scores would obviously generate more interest for a big concert experience. As far as the films go, from what I can tell Deathly Hallows: Part 2 is also one of the most well-received by audiences so I think purely as a film re-release people would be interested in seeing the finale again, but I don't imagine that many people especially rushing to hear the music live. I guess a little more than 5-7, but even for Harry Potter fans who love Dragon Flight and Statues/Courtyard Apocalypse the biggest incentive would probably still be the chance to hear Leaving Hogwarts at the end.

What I would be interested for the Yates films is if they fill them out more with unused material, alternates (like the slightly more "concert-friendly" OST version of Ron Leaves), or even if Hooper or Desplat write additional music for things like Dumbledore vs Voldemort or the King's Cross afterlife.

In general these live concerts seem to match the final film edits very closely.

The Two Towers is the only one I've seen that really featured a lot of unused stuff put back in

The Return of the King as well. The music almost never stops in this one. It's great for us fans but felt a bit too much for the film.

They often seem to change bits and pieces. The Matrix ending being restored and having an end credits medley instead of songs. 

Karol

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!  The concert has an official site now:

http://www.aliens-live.com/tour-dates/

They're labeling your Dublin shows as a "Preview", and are still calling the London shows in November the "World Premiere"

• 3 weeks later...

Great! I went to the Sportpaleis for the LOTR Symphony years ago though, and it's one of my least fav concert experiences. 

Make sure you aren't positioned right in front of a large and slightly malfunctioning Bose speaker!