Harry Potter - Live to Projection Concerts

bollemanneke

Yes I'm really interested in possible changes they've made. What I've never understood is why they always go on about performing the score as heard in the film. This is THE moment to restore unused music, right?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Williams wrote music for the whole Blue Forest sequence, but most of it was completely dropped in the final film

When Quirrel says "Troll in the Dungeon", Williams wrote music for that but it wasn't used in the final cut

And of course, the introduction to Diagon Alley was supposed to be a fun jaunty melody, but in the final film it was replaced by music tracked in from the Great Hall cue

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

I doubt they would restore the latter.

Karol

It's not. So far I haven't noticed anything really different from the film's actual score.

The orchestra does not have a choir, but it can be heard in the mix.

Yeah, they often do that. I learned earlier today there won't be a live choir used for Jurassic Park this weekend. Shame, but it won't hurt it that much.

Karol

So you suggest the film should just stop cold?

In a concert you need something to close with. The music really just underscores the black screen and title card saying "intermission" anyway.

here is the forest scene. 

On 11/3/2016 at 5:35 PM, Stefancos said:

Works fine. Where would you place the intermission?

This is how part 2 starts.

Sounds great! Hope I can go to this some time. 

On 11/3/2016 at 3:23 PM, Stefancos said:

The orchestra does not have a choir, but it can be heard in the mix.

Hmmm...

Well, there's a women's choir part so I hope when the CSO does this they use it. 

@bollemanneke, I agree with @Stefancos. I really like when they use "random" music for going into the intermission and the entr'acte. Whether or not it fits with the film. It is our only chance to hear newly composed JW music. I wouldn't for the life of me want to miss a big newly composed statement of, say, the Raiders March, even if the segue is awkward. 

A fifth concert has been added at the Royal Albert Hall in London, this one on Sunday 14th May 2017 at 2 p.m.  Tickets went on sale today and there is still good availability in most sections and at more reasonable prices for anyone who missed out when tickets for the first four concerts went like hot cakes.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

I note that the blurb mentions a choir, although none is listed at present as far as I can see.

:wizard:

It's a great score, but my least favourite of the Harry Potter films, which is a put off. Give me Azkaban or Deathly Hallows Parts 1 or 2 for a synthesis of film and score quality!

1 hour ago, Miz said:

It's a great score, but my least favourite of the Harry Potter films, which is a put off. Give me Azkaban or Deathly Hallows Parts 1 or 2 for a synthesis of film and score quality!

Deathly Hallows Part 2 is the worst Potter film!  The use of music in both of those films is pretty drab and uneventful (apart from a couple of nice highlights)