Williams wins "Film Score Of The Year" + two others in the IMFCA Awards

Jay

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Yeah, but nobody besides film music fans remembers The Force Awakens score either. As great as it is, it made little or no impact on the film music landscape. I don't they sold that many albums or that kids are humming new themes. It's all in our tiny community. Fair or not, but true.

Karol

The popularity of Rey's theme extends well beyond here.  I don't have stats on how many kids "hum it," but all sorts of musicians I know have worked up there own covers with their pet instruments.  Check back in 10 years, I guarantee Rey's theme and likely the march will still be performed in concerts around the world. 

Doubt it. The last Star Wars piece that really made some sort of an impact was Duel of the Fates.

You say musicians like it. I can see why. But will it inspire a new generation of kids to become musicians?

Karol

50 minutes ago, Tom said:

I don't know, I just saw the Star Wars medley on the Disney special currently airing.  Rey's theme was glorious and the audience seemed into it. 

What is this and where can I watch it?

Wow! I had no idea that was going on. Amazing!

Edit: That brief concert further cements how awesome the new music is and how Star Wars it all sounds. When the music transitioned to Kylo Ren's motif, man it was a classic Star Wars music moment!

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I don't know, I just saw the Star Wars medley on the Disney special currently airing.  Rey's theme was glorious and the audience seemed into it. 

But were they inspired to become musicians?

6 hours ago, Tom said:

How could you tell? You don't see or hear the audience react to the theme.

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

He probably doesn't know who composed the music.

Obviously it is the Composer who composed the music.

No no no. THE Composer. Isn't he the one who composes all the scores?

And in Williams' case Ford didn't have to mention him by name. We all know him. The Composer.

He has done everything from Back to the Future to Legend of Zelda to Star Wars.

6 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

How could you tell? You don't see or hear the audience react to the theme.

I meant their reaction after it concluded (which was shown more on the live broadcast).  Yes, you could make the case the enthusiasm was only for the non-TFA themes, but my point is that Rey's theme flawlessly combines with the other great SW themes and people reacted as such. 

A discussion I had with 2 of my room-mates.

Room-mate 1: I was watching Interstellar, Hans Zimmer is sooooooo awesome.

Room-mate 2: Hans Zimmer's scores are my favorite for sure. Like POTC, just wow.

Me: Hans Zimmer is absolute and utter shit. His scores are horrible.

Room-mate 1: (traumatized) What????? Are you kidding????? He's the most famous composer in the world.

Room-mate 2: Who do YOU like?

Me: John Williams.

Room-mate 1 and 2: Who???

At that moment, I felt the earth should split open and swallow me.

----

This might sound absolutely terrible but Hans Zimmer's scores today are far more influential and widely heard than anything Williams writes. My room-mates who don't know anything about music have often played Zimmer scores at home. They could not even name Williams.

I have many friends who I have asked to name a Hollywood composer and most can name only one - Hans Zimmer. If they can name 2, the second is James Horner (that Titanic guy). 

--

So TFA score will have ZERO cultural impact and zero influence on film-scoring. Why? For the former, the music is too complex for general audiences to appreciate. Only music enthusiasts can appreciate a score like TFA, it is too refined for general audiences. For the latter? Carter Burwell said it, there is NOBOBY in Hollywood, save maybe Shore and a few others, who can even dream about writing music as orchestrally and sonically complex. Williams style cannot be adopted by other composers because frankly nobody can even do it.

So late Williams will remain in a bubble, loved and appreciated only by his fans and enthusiasts, it has zero relevance beyond that.

Indeed. You could probably fill an evening on Youtube listening to people who have done there own versions of Rey's Theme or The Resistance March.

I actually think TFA, like Star Wars, Jurassic Park or The Philosophers Stone will be responsible for a new generation of Williams fans.

2 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Room-mate 2: Hans Zimmer's scores are my favorite for sure. Like POTC, just wow.

Room-mate 1: (traumatized) What????? Are you kidding????? He's the most famous composer in the world.

Room-mate 2: Who do YOU like?

Me: John Williams.

Room-mate 1 and 2: Who???

At that moment, I felt the earth should split open and swallow me.

----

This might sound absolutely terrible but Hans Zimmer's scores today are far more influential and widely heard than anything Williams writes. My room-mates who don't know anything about music have often played Zimmer scores at home. They could not even name Williams.

I have many friends who I have asked to name a Hollywood composer and most can name only one - Hans Zimmer. If they can name 2, the second is James Horner (that Titanic guy). 

--

So TFA score will have ZERO cultural impact and zero influence on film-scoring. Why? For the former, the music is too complex for general audiences to appreciate. Only music enthusiasts can appreciate a score like TFA, it is too refined for general audiences. For the latter? Carter Burwell said it, there is NOBOBY in Hollywood, save maybe Shore and a few others, who can even dream about writing music as orchestrally and sonically complex. Williams style cannot be adopted by other composers because frankly nobody can even do it.

So late Williams will remain in a bubble, loved and appreciated only by his fans and enthusiasts, it has zero relevance beyond that.

Do you honestly think two people make for a random sample of the population--particularly for the claim that anything "will have ZERO impact"?  If so, add yourself into the mix: 33% of the population love John Williams. 

4 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

4d16a702b639d272bb82e755cb211d3e82c9a18c

I don't see why one should be so worked up about that. If anything, one should be grateful that "regular" people have some kind of relationship to film music at all, and if it needs a Zimmer for that to happen, then so be it.

There are also some of us -- me included -- who are able to enjoy BOTH on an immense level. If I entered into that discussion above, I would gladly jump in with more celebratory words about Zimmer, and then leave Williams at the door. There's a time and place for everything.

LONG LIVE ZIMMER --- AND WILLIAMS TOO!

3 hours ago, Jay said:

The amount of covers of various tracks on YouTube already say otherwise.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Indeed. You could probably fill an evening on Youtube listening to people who have done there own versions of Rey's Theme or The Resistance March.

I actually think TFA, like Star Wars, Jurassic Park or The Philosophers Stone will be responsible for a new generation of Williams fans.

But wouldn't talented musicians who can play an instrument well count among music enthusiasts? I would think so. I think they could appreciate Williams. But not the general populace.

I think what I am saying is just in the recognition of the fact that in a way Williams has changed and evolved. The era of those really catchy tunes has passed for him I think. His last period is marked by often complex music that might be beyond the ken of most casual film-goers to appreciate,

Also his elaborately and densely orchestrated music might seem old fashioned to people who are now used to Zimmer like simplistic power anthems scores which are just loud.

I love Williams and am not denying his greatness. Just saying he's probably reaching the position of .. let's say great European arthouse directors... appreciated by those "in the know" but not by a huge mass. His music is heard by a great many of course due to the success of the film but it is not as appreciated as it might have been. He's like lets say late Eastwood in directing, people are probably aware of his work but don't see greatness in it anymore, but his fans do.

5 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Also his elaborately and densely orchestrated music might seem old fashioned to people who are now used to Zimmer like simplistic power anthems scores which are just loud.

The 90s called, they want you back! ;)

Seriously, Zimmer hasn't done anything like that since the PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN scores, what, 15 years ago?

Seriously, Zimmer has not done any densely orchestrated music in 15 years.

We are having an Oscar party here at my house(me and my lovely wife) even if the live show will be from 03.00 to 07,00 a.m. here

in Finland. Lots of Cava, redwine and beer, that will do. This is still one of the last changes to see live John to win this award.

And I'm pretty sure he will. This is the award for the best score for the film. No politics or other shit. If you want you can join us.

Is the chatroom still working? That would be nice.

8 minutes ago, hornist said:

Seriously, Zimmer has not done any densely orchestrated music in 15 years.

Thank God! He's not about that at all. Never has been. The 'density' is found elsewhere.