'Lush' strings writing from John Williams (none 'Broadway')

Quintus

Does any of it even really exist? I'm talking about gentler melodic stuff he may have written which doesn't fall into his general 'broadway' sound, and certainly doesn't swell up for the big smaltzy finish which 99% of his more romantic motif writing tends to do. I can't think of a single good example.

The Face of Pan gets quite close, but then again that's a rip off of Agnes of God and even then it swells up a fair bit at the end.  

Can You Read My Mind is about as 'in the style of Broadway' as it gets. Marion's theme is guilty of it too, as is Han & Leia. Even Princess Leia's theme has the big full blown finish. 

I'm wondering if JW ever wrote anything in that loose vein which didn't sound like it was merely the instrumental version of broadway/musical song. I accept that Leia's music doesn't really fit into that description, but you get my point. 

Can you give examples of what you are after?

Born on the Fourth of July and Angela's Ashes spring to mind.

None of these mean Broadway to me as much as they sound Hollywood.

Luke & Leia doesnt finish in a big crescendo, if that's what you mean.

As for lush Williams string writing. How about Angela's Prayer?

4 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Can you give examples of what you are after?

Born on the Fourth of July and Angela's Ashes spring to mind.

I haven't heard Angela's Ashes mate. Maybe I should have a listen. I can't think of anything in Born On the Fourth of July. Which cue did you mean? 

I'm thinking along the lines of softer, melodic writing which doesn't go for the big signature climax. Strings and flutes etc. 

6 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I haven't heard Angela's Ashes mate. Maybe I should have a listen. I can't think of anything in Born On the Fourth of July. Which cue did you mean? 

I'm thinking along the lines of softer, melodic writing which doesn't go for the big signature climax. Strings and flutes etc. 

I would suggest Stepmom, Angela's Ashes, The Accidental Tourist, Stanley & Iris, The Book Thief. Perhaps parts of The River and Always.

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

None of these mean Broadway to me as much as they sound Hollywood.

As for lush Williams string writing. How about Angela's Prayer?

That's quite pastoral, like War Horse, and about as vague. I don't mind it, but I'm looking for something melodically and harmonically warmer. 

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Is this for the wedding? Or are you broadening your musical perspective when it comes to Williams?

Wedding. I can't think think of anything suitable from the Maestro. It's disappointing me. 

7 minutes ago, Incanus said:

I would suggest Stepmom, Angela's Ashes, The Accidental Tourist, Stanley & Iris, The Book Thief. Perhaps parts of The River.

I've got those in the car but haven't listened for years to The Accidental Tourist, although it is possibly a sound place to have another look. 

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Ok, so something strongly melodic, but doesnt sound like it was chosen from a homosexual's showtunes collection?

Yeah. The melody is secondary really, but stunning orchestral music does tend to have strong luscious themes. 

1 minute ago, Quintus said:

I've got those in the car but haven't listened for years to The Accidental Tourist, although it is possibly a sound place to have another look. 

Could you be a bit more specific? Any examples from say other composers on the general style?

Ann and Gabriel from The Patriot style of material?

5 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Could you be a bit more specific? Any examples from say other composers on the general style?

John Barry, John Barry and John Barry. 

Also, Ennio Morricone. I'd say Thomas Newman but melodic writing isn't his strong point. He has the right tone, though. Even Alan Silvestri has written soft, understated strings which have good melody on occasion. Williams seems to go all out grand finale mode whenever he knows he's onto a good hook. 

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

This wedding and marriage is doomed if you cannot even find a proper Williams piece to accompany it.

While Barry wafts around on his silky strings for ages ol' Johnny goes for a quick explosive climax.

How about the more atmospheric but romantic pieces like Pete in Heaven from Always or Inside the Mansion from Far and Away or the Fountain Scene from The Terminal?

I actually encountered this same conundrum when a friend asked for advice on some film music for their wedding. Williams pieces usually are not especially good for pure atmopshere minutes and minutes at a time, they make a bit too much of a statement in most cases. Most of his scores do not fit as just the general purely polite level romantic background music.

1 minute ago, Incanus said:

But that's not Williams music is it.

3 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Williams pieces usually are not especially good for pure atmopshere minutes and minutes at a time, they make a bit too much of a statement in most cases. Most of his scores do not fit as just the general purely polite level romantic background music.

Well I was hoping you would find something I might have overlooked in JW's romantic ouvre.

Melange, thanks for the link - it's actually already one I've thought of because I've always loved it, but my gf reckoned it was perhaps a tad much. I appreciate where she's coming from. I'd probably go with it though, because it's the ideal length and the swell at the end is just about within the limits of what's acceptable. 

My main reason for asking about JW stuff is because I'd like to use him if possible, simply because I'm a fan of his more than the others. 

So it should be sort of dignified romantic music for the important occasion which is not too bold but still gives off a romantic feel.

Ooooh, oooh, oohh! Jane Eyre concert suite 3rd movement The Return! At least the opening part is somewhat reserved but romantic.

How about a smaller ensemble (string quartet, oboe, piano and harp) renditions from Keisuke Wakao Plays the Music of John Williams

Gah, what a shame about the Potter part, because that sort of strings performance is what I'm searching for. Definitely going to show it though. 

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Nah, I couldn't be arsed to RSVP.

This is something only women and homosexual men bother to do I believe. Congratulations - you finally proved to me you're not gay! 

7 minutes ago, Incanus said:

How about a smaller ensemble (string quartet, oboe, piano and harp) renditions from Keisuke Wakao Plays the Music of John Williams

Hmm I hadn't considered alternative arrangements actually. Either of these would be suitable. 

15 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Gah, what a shame about the Potter part, because that sort of strings performance is what I'm searching for.

Hmm, at risk of a 'fracas' breaking out, it's possible to sensitively blend 1:02  with 1:20 onwards, with some software,  ommiting that pesky 'muggle' bit :D

Hmm, Personally, I feel that the early parts of that track carry a sort of tragic waltz / discord about it.

I don't know the scene that it scores, but I'd pick up on that if it was played at someone's wedding.

I don't think I'd call any of Williams "Broadway," at least not the Broadway I know, but that's pointless semantics I guess. 

Anyway, I know this may be a shocking suggestion to some, but would you be open to... some of his concert music?

Not that these would be good suggestions for a wedding, but just in terms of that kind of writing Anakin's Theme and With Malice Toward None are maybe the closest I can think of for simply a nice lush string piece, especially as far as the theme stuff goes. Even when Ani's Theme goes big toward the middle, it's not really BIG.

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Really?

'Broadway' was how pub defined it to me one time, which was exactly the term I was looking for while I was still calling it 'music hall'. 

3 hours ago, Melange said:

Hmm, at risk of a 'fracas' breaking out, it's possible to sensitively blend 1:02  with 1:20 onwards, with some software,  ommiting that pesky 'muggle' bit :D

Be my guest :P

It's generally tough to find film music that seems genuinely suited to a wedding. I don't think I used much at all.  

But if we're talking about lasting love over the ages, there *is* an obvious Williams choice....

This could be nice. 

2 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

It's generally tough to find film music that seems genuinely suited to a wedding. I don't think I used much at all.  

But if we're talking about lasting love over the ages, there *is* an obvious Williams choice....

Lasting love over the ages. You could say for always couldn't you really?

I reckon I know what features Lee is zoning in on. A slow but regular harmonic rhythm, minimal melodic ornamentation and a bit of mode mixture, but basically tonal. With all due respect to Grey, you're not going to find that kind of thing (at least consistently) in his concert music, which works on a more abstract plane, but you know that already.

This isn't WIlliams, but this is the kind of thing you're looking for, right?

This isn't Williams, but this is the kind of thing we're looking for ;):

That cue is currently the front runner. I'm happy to go with it if I can't find a better alternative from Williams, who I'd ultimately prefer *if possible*. 

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys, it's appreciated. 

Sharky, those cues are pretty and I definitely think the Lalo one is suitable once the intro is out of the way. The Nixon one would have been fine actually, if only the trumpet was on a fiddle ;)

GreyPilgrim, the AI one... stunning. Now I need to search YouTube for a version which jettisons the voice and replaces it with silky strings, because that melody... I'd forgotten how lush it is. 

I expected you'd find the vocal thing over the top - naturally there are purely instrumental renditions in the score but none as fleshed out as that.  There may be some covers out there that will work. 

The concert arrangement is gorgeous but might be a bit too strong in the middle

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

GreyPilgrim, the AI one... stunning. Now I need to search YouTube for a version which jettisons the voice and replaces it with silky strings, because that melody... I'd forgotten how lush it is. 

Like Grey said, the renditions without the voice are generally pretty short on development. Here's the closest it gets to what you want I think, but even then its brief. But it has some lovely progressions.

How about this?