No Time To Die (James Bond #25)

Jay

9 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

Whether or not that's true, I haven't a clue. He's very "dark" in that film, drowning himself in booze and murdering for no good reason. I like it.

Very similar to your favorite "mode" of The Doctor as well.  You prefer your heroes callous and damaged, no?

16 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

Whether or not that's true, I haven't a clue. He's very "dark" in that film, drowning himself in booze and murdering for no good reason. I like it.

Very Battfleck, right?

7 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

I prefer 9 and 12. They're cold and grouchy and stuck on women. Like Bond in QOS and Batman in Batman Returns.

Keaton and Pfeiffer, one of the great screen couples

• 3 weeks later...

Daniel Craig confirms his return for one final James Bond movie

Hollywood’s worst kept secret is finally official: Daniel Craig will return as James Bond for one final hurrah.

After over a year of rampant speculation and a litany of casting rumors, the actor confirmed his participation in next Bond film during his appearance on Tuesday night’s Late Show with Stephen Colbert.

Craig added that it will be his final Bond film, telling Colbert, “I just want to go out on a high note, and I can’t wait.”

For me (although still enjoyable), its main misjudgment was reintroducing Blofeld ... and then having him be Bond's half-brother. The Craig films are obsessed with making elements of the missions 'personal' to Bond ... granted, Craig has said he 'wouldn't know how to play' the type of Bond where he's exactly the same at the end of the movie as he was at the start, unaffected by what has happened. But sometimes, I miss those days.      

1 minute ago, Sweeping Strings said:

For me (although still enjoyable), its main misjudgment was reintroducing Blofeld ... and then having him be Bond's half-brother. The Craig films are obsessed with making elements of the missions 'personal' to Bond ... granted, Craig has said he 'wouldn't know how to play' the type of Bond where he's exactly the same at the end of the movie as he was at the start, unaffected by what has happened. But sometimes, I miss those days.      

Me too.  I grew up with Bond movies that were silly, fun diversions that were really into cool stunts.  The Craig era has been marked with too much self-seriousness.  I mean they're still really silly sometimes, but the movies don't seem "in on the joke" like the older eras.

I mean ... I'm not asking for the return of the double-taking pigeon sort of stuff *shudders*, or even of what Roger Moore cited as his main reason for finding it impossible to play 100% seriously - 'The guy's a spy, a secret agent ... and yet whichever bar he walks into anywhere in the world, the barman knows him by name and how he likes his Martinis mixed'. 

But there's surely 'room for manoeuvre'. Admittedly, some of what I'd call more traditional Bondian humour has crept back into the last 2 movies. 

10 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I thought the first two Brosnan came fairly close to the right balance of actual pathos and utter silliness.

But even those couldn't resist a) having the villain be an old colleague and friend of Bond's and b) having the villain's wife be an ex-girlfriend of his. 

I guess this stuff really started with Licence To Kill, with the entire plot driven by Bond's desire for vengeance for Sanchez' attempted murder and murder of Felix Leiter and his new bride respectively.   

44 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

44 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Its aged horribly. 

How? By this logic, I may as well stop watching movies made in 2017 because I know they'll be "horribly aged" by 2040.

43 minutes ago, Woj said:

Is today opposite day? 

Burton Batmans are heightened gothic dramas.  Nolan Batmans are boring slogs.

I should say I have never much cared for the actual character of Wayne/Batman so I like the movies/shows that either downplay him or don't take him seriously.  Therefore I really like the 60s show and the Burtons.

6 hours ago, Sally Spectra said:

How? By this logic, I may as well stop watching movies made in 2017 because I know they'll be "horribly aged" by 2040.

Because the effects and sets haven't held up and it's a bit camp in general. Some of the designs are great but it looks cheep. 

Both Terminator films or Jurassic Park, for example, are films which I don't think have aged a day. 

2 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Because the effects and sets haven't held up and it's a bit camp in general. Some of the designs are great but it looks cheep. 

Both Terminator films or Jurassic Park, for example, are films which I don't think have aged a day. 

Jurassic Park seems to get better with age. It's more highly regarded now than when it was released.

33 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

Jurassic Park seems to get better with age. It's more highly regarded now than when it was released.

Saw it again in the cinema recently. It's magnificent.