No Time To Die (James Bond #25)

Jay

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The plot of QOS isn't the problem, the biggest problems lies in the directing and editing choices.  Well, that and the writer's strike made them unable to change the script any further once they started filming

To which directing and editing choices are you referring? It's fine to me.

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes, they tried to imitate the Bourne style.  A lot of the action scenes are hard to follow as a result

37 minutes ago, dougie said:

It's cut like a toddler had a tantrum with the editing machine!

Its also the influence of the Michael Bay aesthetic.

Another victim was MI: III.

21 hours ago, Richard said:

Yes.

After 1941 had wrapped, Lucas asked Spielberg what he'd like to do next. Spielberg said "James Bond", to which Lucas replied: "I've got something  better than that; Indiana Smith". The rest, as they say...

I think Spielberg went as far as contacting Broccoli and Saltzman about the possibility of directing a Bond, but at the time they had a small 'clique' of directors for them that they didn't stray outside of.

22 hours ago, Stefancos said:

No, not really. Lucas conceived Indiana Jones, not Spielberg.

I should hope not! If Lucas had have conceived Spielberg, it would have made both men remarkable.

42 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I think Spielberg went as far as contacting Broccoli and Saltzman about the possibility of directing a Bond, but at the time they had a small 'clique' of directors for them that they didn't stray outside of.

All the better for it...except, since Saltzman sold his share of the Bond franchise, in 1976, Spielberg would have dealt with Broccoli, and, possibly, Wilson.

My favourite Bond villains are the ones that take part in the story actively, instead of being a looming presence.

For example; Mads Mikkelsen's Le Chiffre. Not Christoph Waltz's Blofeld.

I sometimes can also love the eccentric ones, like Jonathan Pryce's Elliot Carver. He was just so damn fun. 

Be nice if Craig got a decent mano-a-mano climactic punch-up with a main villain before he goes (it's only happened in QOS so far, and it wasn't all that).

Although rumour has it Malek's character will be blind ... would they have 007 beatin' on someone with an impairment (even though he'll have done terrible things in the course of the movie) in these ultra-sensitive times?

32 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Be nice if Craig got a decent mano-a-mano climactic punch-up with a main villain before he goes (it's only happened in QOS so far, and it wasn't all that).

Although rumour has it Malek's character will be blind ... would they have 007 beatin' on someone with an impairment (even though he'll have done terrible things in the course of the movie) in these ultra-sensitive times?

Blind or not Malek would certainly not be much of a match against Craig in a mano-a-mano of any kind.

11 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Blind or not Malek would certainly not be much of a match against Craig in a mano-a-mano of any kind.

Neither was Hitler and yet nobody challenged him.

22 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Another crowd-pleasing casting rather than focusing on someone who's right for the role.

I think the same thing happened after Chiwitel Ejiofor won for 12 Years a Slave and suddenly he was being eyed for Bond.

44 minutes ago, Richard said:

He seems to have approximately the same physique as Dominic Greene, a man whom Bond should have pummeled within three seconds.

Greene is the only main villain who's actually fought Craig's 007 hand to hand.

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently one of the reasons he walked was wanting to have Bond die at the movie's end and being told that wouldn't be happening.

I thought Boyle had more sense than to believe that stupid 'James Bond is just the codename given to whoever MI6's top agent happens to be' thing, but perhaps not.

Stumbled upon this:

“Bond 25,” which started shooting this week in Norway, will be the first James Bond film shot in large-format, with Oscar-winning cinematographer Linus Sandgren (“La La Land”) using both Panavision and IMAX 65mm cameras.[...]“Bond 25” (now with the working title “Eclipse”) will be shot primarily in Panavision but with action sequences reserved for the special IMAX treatment. 

Neat.