BloodBoal

25 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

As always, everyone is pretending they don't care about the Oscars anymore, but as always, everyone will watch them!

Except me. I don't even remember when I last watched that show. Must have been when Billy Crystal was the host. 

I imagined Williams would try to catch up with Ennio while he visited L.A., so these photos are very cool to see. I imagine the two have a huge respect for one another's work and would gladly see the other take home gold tomorrow.

Does Williams speak a bit of Italian or can I assume that's Ennio's translator sitting next to him? And who is the elderly woman?

Mystery solved:

At Saturday afternoon’s event, every nominee was a winner. Each was called to a podium by SCL president Ashley Irwin, presented with a conductor’s baton, and invited to say a few words. Williams, 84, drew laughs when he noted that he “especially wanted to congratulate a gentleman who has been such an inspiration to all of us younger composers,” calling out the 87-year old Morricone.  The two maestros enjoyed a convivial conversation, with the aid of Morricone’s interpreter, on the restaurant’s patio before the presentations began.

Williams’ The Force Awakens is his 50th Oscar nomination overall, a statistic that even he finds incredulous. “It’s a thrill that never wanes,” he told Billboard. “I feel so happy that my colleagues think enough of me to continue to put up with me.”

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6890509/diane-warren-john-williams-ennio-morricone-at-scl-nominees-pre-oscars-party-2016

Would be nice if there were a video of Williams' speech. He certainly hasn't lost his modesty or sense of humour!

13 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Mystery solved:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6890509/diane-warren-john-williams-ennio-morricone-at-scl-nominees-pre-oscars-party-2016

Would be nice if there were a video of Williams' speech. He certainly hasn't lost his modesty or sense of humour!

43 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Does Williams speak a bit of Italian or can I assume that's Ennio's translator sitting next to him? And who is the elderly woman?

I am pretty sure that the woman is Ennio's wife, Maria.

34 minutes ago, Omen II said:

I am pretty sure that the woman is Ennio's wife, Maria.

Yes, it is. And it's Morricone's son (not Andrea, but the other one) next to his father, crouching.

This is so nice! The two greatest living film composers, both in their 80's, meeting and chatting together after a lifetime of music and success, achieved with completely different styles and personalities. I don't know if Williams has ever talked about Morricone before, but I know that Morricone has stated in one occasion that Williams is a "really good musician", although he did not like the musical language adopted for Star Wars (although he specified that "even in those circumstances, Williams is very clever"). This was probably mentioned also in some threads here, a few years ago.

I don't care who wins the Oscar, as long as it is one of these two gentlemen. In my opinion, the right thing would be to give it to Morricone, he has deserved it so many times and never got it.   

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

I imagined Williams would try to catch up with Ennio while he visited L.A., so these photos are very cool to see. I imagine the two have a huge respect for one another's work and would gladly see the other take home gold tomorrow.

I am not sure that Ennio would be glad to lose to a Star Wars score... :lol:

4 minutes ago, Score said:

I don't care who wins the Oscar, as long as it is one of these two gentlemen. In my opinion, the right thing would be to give it to Morricone, he has deserved it so many times and never got it.   

This will be Newman's day, at last ;)

I didn't listen to the Morricone score. Is it a good score, or is it a pastiche of his old far-west scores? Does Morricone reinvent himself in it? Does he surpass himself?

Because The Force Awakens is not just another Star Wars. JW dazzled us with it.

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Does Williams reinvent himself in TFA? Does he surpass himself?

Yes. Rey's Theme and Jedi Steps are Grand Art.

It's not 70's williams' music. It's John Williams in 2015.

I do greatly prefer TFA to any of the nominees and I know that's supposed to be the only consideration etc, most years I hope to see him deservedly up there but I have to admit I would feel slightly embarrassed if Williams were to win this year lol. He's got 5 of them already plus the #1 movie in America, presumably more Star Wars to come, more Spielberg, lifetime achievement awards out the wazoo. There's so much coming his way lately, it's truly amazing, but for him to also get to collect a second Star Wars trophy while leaving that little genius Italian man sitting there....if anybody deserves the hooplah, it's Williams, but it'd probably look a bit "Mommy and Daddy only love Johnny Baby!" ;)

But damn, how gratifying is it that there's still so much excitement and attention around John Williams at this stage in the game? The man's on fire!

I can watch it live in my local cinema for free and even get a breakfast thrown in. But honestly a few hours sleep is far more appealing then hours upon hours of overhyped Hollywood BS.

If the show lasted an hour, 90 minutes tops and be on at a reasonable hour, sure. But not like this.

I have honestly not gotten around to listening to The Hateful Eight yet but I certainly love the great Morricone scores of the past and I have no issue with Morricone winning for the "we missed up never giving you one of these before" reason.

I'm just glad Tarantino finally hired the real deal to compose original music instead of making a Morricone mixtape :-/

My wife and I always have a lot of fun watching the Oscars eating junk food and drinking beer and wine!

It's always been a joke when people say; well this person has deserved an Oscar for a long time so, even though their work for this year may not be their best or even the best of the fellow nominees, they should get the Oscar to make up for past losses.

If the best score of the nominees is The Force Awakens, then regardless of whether Williams has 850 Oscars, it doesn't matter, he deserves it.