BloodBoal

It is strange how the Oscars are considered the ultimate award. Hell, it should be far more prestigious to receive an MTV movie award, because at least it's voted for by people who actually pay to see the films, aren't voting in order to kiss people's asses, and they aren't bought for their vote.

Bah, is this another thread filled with Oscar bashing? Don't you guys ever tire of that?

Sure, they don't always get it right, but the awards do more or less recognize the finer work in the industry. And believe it or not, its still an incredible honour for any of the artists working now to receive one. And I'm sure all of you that are going "I don't care about the Oscars" are secretly praying at your JWFan altars for Williams to win.

Hate to break it you though, Morricone has this in the bag.

I'll be watching the ceremony tonight, as usual. Not ashamed to admit that Hollywood glam makes a fun night. Although the last "great" ceremony was back in 2008. And honestly, I don't have high hopes for Chris Rock as the host.

No, I wouldn't. And I understand why the Europeans don't bother.

But going on about how "irrelevant" the Oscars to make up for that seems a bit much.

Ooh yes, 2004 was a classic. I remember watching it as a kid and still remembering the energy, despite the fact that I had never seen most of the films at that point.

But coming off the height of the recession, Ledger's death, and a bunch of pop culture hits, the 2008 ceremony was actually quite entertaining for its wieldy time. And Hugh Jackman was the best host in years. None of his successors matched his energy and charisma.

Love that opening number!

7 minutes ago, KK. said:

Ooh yes, 2004 was a classic. I remember watching it as a kid and still remembering the energy, despite the fact that I had never seen most of the films at that point.

But coming off the height of the recession, Ledger's death, and a bunch of pop culture hits, the 2008 ceremony was actually quite entertaining for its wieldy time. And Hugh Jackman was the best host in years. None of his successors matched his energy and charisma.

The Hugh Jackman-hosted ceremony is probably my favorite. It was only years later I discovered the head writer for that one was Dan Harmon, of Community and Rick & Morty fame, so it all made sense.  He even won an Emmy for that Oscars ceremony!

1 hour ago, KK. said:

Bah, is this another thread filled with Oscar bashing? Don't you guys ever tire of that?

Sure, they don't always get it right, but the awards do more or less recognize the finer work in the industry. And believe it or not, its still an incredible honour for any of the artists working now to receive one. And I'm sure all of you that are going "I don't care about the Oscars" are secretly praying at your JWFan altars for Williams to win.

Given the politics involved, it doesn't feel like an honour if it's a more obscure technical category. This ceremony has lately felt like it's hiding the biggest elephant in the room. Everyone's applauding that you won, but everyone also knows you won because your film won't get anything else.

Of course I'm being hypocritical - I'd watch the ceremony and stay up if it were on free to air TV, or streamed somewhere (without using a VPN, before anyone says).

So is this the official oscar-thread where people will post their comments during the show?

I am definitely going stay awake(it will be 03.00-07.00 here in finland) and watch live when Johnny will have the statuette. And I really hope that BB will go to sleep, what a party pooper. And I hope I got enough alcohol in my house!

FYI, Ennio and Johnny already contended four times against each other for a Best Score Academy Award: in 1978 (Days of Heaven vs. Superman The Movie), 1987 (The Untouchables vs. The Witches of Eastwick and Empire of the Sun), 1991 (Bugsy vs. JFK) and 2000 (Malena vs. The Patriot). In all four cases, both lost to another score.

This year, I'm pretty sure Morricone will finally get his overdue statuette for Best Original Music. And Johnny will be one of the first to applaud and cheer for him :)

5 hours ago, Bespin said:

I didn't listen to the Morricone score. Is it a good score, or is it a pastiche of his old far-west scores? Does Morricone reinvent himself in it? Does he surpass himself?

Because The Force Awakens is not just another Star Wars. JW dazzled us with it.

In a way, they're very similar works, i.e. the product of two great venerable artists working within a very familiar framework which helped to form their own respective specific and unique identities and that gave them fortune and glory. It's like they both did a recollection of themselves, though written and executed with the peaceful wisdom of the Third Age of life, but at the same time trying to give a fresh approach to the material. They're not pastiche, nor just a well-executed bag of old tricks. Both The Force Awakens and The Hateful Eight are sublime synthesis of a life's work within a certain genre. Do they reinvent the wheel? No, but that's not what they were requested to do. But both Williams and Morricone did what they do best, i.e. writing great music to accompany a film's narrative. It's not just good "film music" (like the other three candidates are, or at least 98% of what is produced today is).

2 hours ago, KK. said:

Although the last "great" ceremony was back in 2008.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

No. 2004!

First Oscar ceremony I remember watching was 2001/2 and I think it was actually the first time that I saw John Williams conducting. Then I watched the next year and Michael Moore yelled at the President and Adrien Brody made out with Halle Berry. Then the next year Return of the King won everything. I've had to keep watching ever since but those are hard to top.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

I would be surprised if either one has heard his colleague's nominated score.

I highly doubt Morricone has listened to TFA, but I'm practically sure that Williams has heard Hateful. He seems to keep track of the Oscar nominated scores.

5 hours ago, KK. said:

And honestly, I don't have high hopes for Chris Rock as the host.

Me neither. Aside from Hugh JACKMAN (who was a surprisingly talented and classy showman), I haven't really enjoyed a host since the golden days of Crystal.

4 hours ago, hornist said:

So is this the official oscar-thread where people will post their comments during the show?

That's my question too. Actually, one of the best parts of watching the ceremonies over the past few years has been the live commentary we do here. Makes it a more tolerable experience. 

6 hours ago, KK. said:

Jackman was a good host but I think this was the year they started doing that awful "let's read about the best actor performances for 20 mins each" bullshit. It's an acting award, show the performances that were nominated.

Yeah, that was atrocious.

Btw Hollywood Reporter did a "Brutally Honest Oscar Ballots" series where voters posted their ballots anonymously. Original Score thoughts:

#1 abstained w/ no comment

Eliminate Carol. Star Wars is the obvious one — obvious, in that I've seen it. I did not see The Hateful Eight. Sicario was good. I liked the score of Bridge of Spies a lot.

My vote: Bridge of Spies

I don't know, I thought Star Wars: [The Force Awakens] was very loud. Carol was a nice score. I voted for Bridge of Spies. This is a category where I wouldn't mind if just the people from the category [the music branch] voted for it because I think they know more about it than I do.

My vote: Bridge of Spies

I couldn't vote for Star Wars: [The Force Awakens] again. Carol didn't do anything for me. The mood music in The Hateful Eight was a little heavy. Spotlight had the best score of the ones I heard. But I haven't seen Sicario so I didn't vote.

My vote: I abstain.

Lol

I couldn't vote for Star Wars: [The Force Awakens] again. Carol didn't do anything for me. The mood music in The Hateful Eight was a little heavy. Spotlight had the best score of the ones I heard. But I haven't seen Sicario so I didn't vote.

My vote: I abstain.

But I voted for Ex Machina because it was a totally original and powerful and surprising script. I did not expect the ending — having the hero defeated is a pretty bold way to go.

lol.  Ex Machina is like the Super 8 of its genre, minus the self-awareness and plus loads of pretension.

6 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Who's even nominated?

Bridge of Spies – Thomas Newman
Carol – Carter Burwell
The Hateful Eight – Ennio Morricone
Sicario – Jóhann Jóhannsson
Star Wars: The Force Awakens – John Williams

More like best original SNORE, am I right?  Morricone should have brought his statue over to Williams and presented it to him, as if his little acknowledgement were enough.  :(

:(:(

:(