BloodBoal

Did anyone here seriously think John Williams had a chance of winning his sixth Academy Award for the seventh installment in an almost 40 year-old franchise he already won an Oscar for in 1978? It's the Oscars, you know.

That being said, congratulations to Ennio Morricone. He's had to wait for that little golden statue a lot longer than Leonardo DiCaprio. And The Hateful Eight has fantastic music!

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Most JW fanboys did!

Proudly! With ravenous desire! Whew! I am sure glad I am not one of those.

Token Oscar, over-deserved and overdue. Screw TFA, if Hateful Eight was boring, so is TFA. 

What's really disgusting though is that James Bond won two Oscars in a row in the worst era for Bond songs in the whole series.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Fuck you!

TFA is not any less derivative of the composer's earlier opus than Hateful Eight. And even though Morricone is not a composer I can warm up to entirely, and as a pure listening experience I would prefer TFA, as an original (!) score, Morricone has the edge over Williams.

9 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Morricone comments on his victory (article in Italian: http://www.repubblica.it/spettacoli/cinema/2016/02/29/news/morricone_dentro_di_me_pensavo_stavolta_me_lo_porto_a_casa_-134519799/?ref=HREC1-20)

Here's a translation of an interesting short bit:

Lovely old chap :)

Nice! Thanks for the translation Maurizio!

It's great I get to see him in concert at the end of this month!

On 29 February 2016 at 8:05 AM, Stefancos said:

Later today a black sedan will appear in front of Morricone's hotel, several Newman's will get out and make Ennio an offer he can't refuse.

"He's got a date with fate, in a black sedan". :D

While we're in a Morricone fever... I just remembered that Charles Aznavour, seduced by the first italian albums of Morricone, asked him an arrangement for his phare song "Sa jeunesse". This recording directed by Morricone himself was only published on a single, in 1963.