Harry Potter - Suite question

Bespin

Is it me or the recorded versions of Harry Potter music vs the partitions that where published... is the worst nightmare on earth?

The suites that were published by Hal Leonard seems to have never been recorded that exact way, by nobody.

Voldemort (2:30), The Sorcerer's Stone (3:30), Nimbus 2000 (2:25), Witches, Wands and Wizards (4:40), Quidditch (2:15)

How to reproduce that using the available recordings?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

Is it me or the recorded versions of Harry Potter music vs the paritions that where published... is the worst nightmare on earth?

The suites that were published by Hal Leonard seems to have never been recorded that exact way, by nobody.

Voldemort (2:30), The Sorcerer's Stone (3:30), Nimbus 2000 (2:25), Witches, Wands and Wizards (4:40), Quidditch (2:15)

How to reproduce that using the available recordings?

John Williams recorded the originals at the recording sessions. Parts of the original suite have been included by Williams on the HPPS soundtrack album mostly combined with film cues.The revised suite done for Hal Leonard has never been fully recorded. And Witches, Wands and Wizards from Prisoner of Azkaban has been recorded at least by the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra as is avaialble on few of their compilation albums.

Sorceror's Stone is originally named Three Note Loop, an actual film cue, which later found its way to concerts but has not been released officially or indeed re-recorded. Nimbus 2000 has been released e.g. on the Naxos John Williams compilation, performed by a wind orchestra (which is fitting since it showcases woodwinds). Quidditch or Voldemort alas have not been re-recorded while The Family Portrait can be found on a Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra film music compilation.

You can find some additional info HERE.

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

(...) The revised suite done for Hal Leonard has never been fully recorded. (...)

This is what I understood.

So there is a gap.

Is it that these arrangements are too "weak" comparing to the film cues? Why nobody recorded these suites the way they were written?

I'm very sad that JW don't re-record his own music anymore on albums. Harry Potter scores are perhaps the ones who suffered the most of this situation.

Can you by example, imagine a life without the wonderful Hook pieces re-recorded in 1995 by JW?

On 27.2.2016 at 8:15 PM, Bespin said:

This is what I understood.

So there is a gap.

Is it that these arrangements are too "weak" comparing to the film cues? Why nobody recorded these suites the way they were written?

I'm very sad that JW don't re-record his own music anymore on albums. Harry Potter scores are perhaps the ones who suffered the most of this situation.

Can you by example, imagine a life without the wonderful Hook pieces re-recorded in 1995 by JW?

The suite in its entirety or in parts has been played by Williams in numerous concerts. Revisions done to the original 9 piece suite which was conceived at the time of the writing of the actual film score and recorded during the sessions were probably quite a natural progression, artist making readjustments to his work when he finds there are things he likes to improve in them. E.g. Diagon Alley and Harry's Wondrous World received embellishments. Williams included the more celebratory fanfarish finish for Harry's Wondrous World on the Chamber of Secrets soundtrack album.

As to why hasn't the entire suite been recorded is indeed a good question as Harry Potter compilations were dime a dozen during the period when new films in the series were coming out. Hedwig's Theme and Harry Wondrous World were usually thought sufficient summation of the first score by the orchestras doing the re-recordings. Perhaps licensing the entire suite would have been cost prohibitive. Who knows.

I think Williams not re-recording any of his newer music these days has more to do with his retirement from the Boston Pops than his reluctance to do it. Occasionally we are blessed with one of these concertized pieces like the magnificent Suite for Cello and Orchestra from Memoirs of a Geisha but it is a shame these things are so few and far between. As for the Harry Potter scores, The Chamber of Secrets album is full of concert suites from Fawkes the Phoenix to Dobby the House Elf and performed by LSO no less. Can you really ask for more? And these migrated onto compilations as well. :)

The Prisoner of Azkaban yielded several suites like Double Trouble, Aunt Marge's Waltz, The Knight Bus, A Window to the Past and Witches, Wands and Wizards which have also made their way on the compilation albums.

So we are not quite deprived of Harry Potter concert suite material. Of course one could wish for re-recordings conducted by the Maestro himself.

45 minutes ago, Incanus said:

So we are not quite deprived of Harry Potter concert suite material. Of course one could wish for re-recordings conducted by the Maestro himself.

Anyway, I want these expanded recordings sessions now. :P

• 1 year later...