2010's will be Williams' best decade?

Joni Wiljami

Johnny's output in this decade has been outstanding. Not a single bad score, they are all brilliant! And if his health will be good,

we will have many more, BFG, SW8 and Player One etc,,,

Of course the quality of the performance(and the recording) is helping my brave opinion. Brilliant LA players, Chicago Symphony...

2000's is also very good, 90's so much overrated(it is a childhood of the most JWFanners)

And if we would count 1975-1985 as a decade it would certainly win but we won't!

Am I right(drunk) again?

Edit: sorry this came to General Discussion

19 minutes ago, hornist said:

Johnny's output in this decade has been outstanding. Not a single bad score, they are all brilliant!

True, not a single bad score (I think Williams is incapable of writing a 'bad score' at this point in his career), but except for WAR HORSE, none have been truly brilliant either. So in my opinion, this is the weakest decade in his career so far. But hey -- we're only halfway through. Plenty more potential in the years to come.

I still think the 70s was his main decade in terms of a more 'objective' artistic brilliance, while my own personal favourite decade is the 90s.

I knew I will be alone with this opinion. This thread was a little bit provocative, I know the consensus here is against Williams' modern output.

But you are wrong!   90's has couple of good scores, Schindler and Hook but in the end of the day they are annoying...

'Annoying' is a weird adjective to use in this context, but hey -- you're entitled to your opinion. I'm glad you feel so passionately about his 2010's output.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Williams 2010s output has been simply outstanding!

Yes!

It might be different than the previous decades but I love these metamorphosis...

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Excessive drinking kills brain cells!

But I have so much there to kill!!

Well said, Jason!!

I'm not alone with my love for his recent scores.

I just found out that The Book Thief is on Netflix. I checked out the quality(of course I have it on blu)

but I couldn't because the music is too strong with the film. I cried like a kid.

Admittedly I haven't listened to The Book Thief as much as the others, but I've spun all the others many, many times.  far more than any other 2010s score by other composers outside of the Hobbit scores.

I like all of Williams' 2010 scores, but we're talking Williams here, so it's a level of evaluation all on its own. It's not really a question of 'good' or 'bad', but more about 'good' and 'slightly less good' or engaging. The only of his 2010 scores I can't really get into, despite multiple efforts, is THE BOOK THIEF.

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

Admittedly I haven't listened to The Book Thief as much as the others, but I've spun all the others many, many times.  far more than any other 2010s score by other composers outside of the Hobbit scores.

The Book Thief = most underrated score in JWFan.com

11 minutes ago, Thor said:

I like all of Williams' 2010 scores, but we're talking Williams here, so it's a level of evaluation all on its own. It's not really a question of 'good' or 'bad', but more about 'good' and 'slightly less good' or engaging. The only of his 2010 scores I can't really get into, despite multiple efforts, is THE BOOK THIEF.

We have so different taste in music Thor! But I'm so thankful for you!!  Why? Story: You saw TFA before me and you didn't fall in love with the music. So I went to the

cinema (without hearing anything of the sore before)  with no great expectations but it turned out my probably GREATEST musical experience in my long(49) life. And I have had many!! Thank you.

5 hours ago, hornist said:

I knew I will be alone with this opinion. This thread was a little bit provocative, I know the consensus here is against Williams' modern output.

But you are wrong!   90's has couple of good scores, Schindler and Hook but in the end of the day they are annoying...

You are not alone.  I agree completely.  

9 minutes ago, Romão said:

We really like ranking stuff over here, don't we?

So is there somsthing wrong about it?

The great idea of this thread is to defend Johnny's 2010's scores which to my ear sound

brilliant but are all the time bashed here in the

so called JWfan.com!!

I don't think the highs of the 2010s have reached the highs of the last several decades for Williams.  And of course this will be his least prolific decade, with hopefully 10 scores.

On a similar note though, I agree that the lows have been nowhere near the lows of previous decades either.  No boring Stanley & Iris or nonstop War of the Worlds scores in the mix.  It's been a great decade for him, and hopefully The BFG turns out to be classic Williams fantasy.

I have to admit that I misread this a bit - the 2000's I would certainly call Williams' best decade.  The 2010's are another matter, not necessarily reaching the same heights in my estimation despite some masterworks.

Nice! I even lost my only supporter...

What next?? I will run out of beer...!!! Damn.

But I'm sure if this site still will exists in 2030 everybody will talk like "hey that drunken idiot hornist was right, JW's output was brilliant in that decade!"

There