2010's will be Williams' best decade?

Joni Wiljami

What are you going to do to her? Drown her in JW music? She'd only like that!

I wasn't a big fan of The Book Thief soundtrack when it was released, but I gave it place in my playlist and then, after some time, in my heart. Now I would say I like it alot! It has amazing main theme, few great secondary themes and gorgeous bitter-sweet writing all over it.

I could use a couple more lengthy concert works in this decade.  The 00s brought us Soundings, the Horn, Viola, and Harp Concertos, the Memoirs Suite, etc.  So far in the 10s we have the piano scherzo, for which I retain the hope it is part of a larger concerto, and the oboe concerto.  More please. 

On February 29, 2016 at 8:47 AM, hornist said:

Not necessarily annoying but all of those are worse than any of his 2010's score!!!

But I understand your love for the 90's because you are so young

and actually two of those are annoying ;) 

Richard is probably the oldest member here.

The Book Thief sucks! Live with it!

25 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

The Book Thief sucks! Live with it!

???

???

Can't quite tell if you are being serious, but if you are please do tell me why those examples suck.

15 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

http://www.filmmusicmedia.com/reviews/thebookthiefbyjohnwilliamsreview

Don't expect much from it, Stiff. Instead of 1-3 words, you just get 1-3 paragraphs from Koko here!

I agree with his general consensus (other than the criticisms of Lincoln and Tintin, which are both great).

3 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

http://www.filmmusicmedia.com/reviews/thebookthiefbyjohnwilliamsreview

Don't expect much from it, Stiff. Instead of 1-3 words, you just get 1-3 paragraphs from Koko here!

So according to Koray, 2,5 stars means that something sucks?

10 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I did a full review at the time of release. 

Is like you and your brother's usual reviews which spend 2 paragraphs talking about the film and/or the director or composer's prior work, and then the third briefly talks about the score before the whole thing is over?

The Book Thief is disappointing in Williams' canon, but to say it sucks, especially given the general state of Hollywood scoring at the moment, is painfully hyperbolic.

3 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

The Book Thief is disappointing in Williams' canon, but to say it sucks, especially given the general state of Hollywood scoring at the moment, is painfully hyperbolic.

Obviously. 

Out of all scores released in 2013, The Book Thief is one of the best - one of the few from that year I'll return to regularly.

Out of all scores written by John Williams, well it probably won't even be in my top 30 most played when all is said and done.  But that's not a knock against when the man has written over 100 scores and a huge portion are among the best film scores ever made

Well, I suppose that is up to individual taste, but I find it one of Williams' least thematically interesting scores as all the themes are more or less regurgitations of other, better themes(see: Angela's Ashes.)  Beyond that, I just find the score too light for Williams, lacking in much emotional impact aside from the opening and closing tracks on the album.  I haven't seen the film, however, so I cannot speak to how functional it is in the context.  I really like the score, I should make clear, but it's one of my least favorite Williams scores.  I was just disappointed with it, given how un-prolific Williams has been this decade.

See the film first and then come back. Please. We are talking about FILMmusic here.

3 hours ago, publicist said:

Williams scores never suck. They are - worst case - just sucking boring.

And you suck. Plus you are boring. Winner!!!!

And for Koray. You can have Le Big Mac(generic Zimmer) or delicious meal with best red wine(book thief). Life is short.

2 stars for that score is just funny. Rap music must be better.

My impression of Book Thief has grown the more I listen to it. It's still not top-tier for me, and will never be, but it has some wonderful quiet passages and some beautiful harp and piano stuff going on. Some of the string writing is kind of boring, when everyone is playing the same thing in a kind of monolithic way, but otherwise I think the score offers a lot of subtly, outside of the Snow Fight and Foot Race of course. 

Edit: Wow, that "review" of Book Thief is ridiculous. 

Tintin, is, I don't know, just big and brassy but kind of boring. 

If only Williams would find more interesting directors in his dotage...BOOK THIEF is in a way symptomatic for the fainthearted light entertainment with big production values he's been doing after 2005 and the scores show. It's a bit like Sir Laurence Olivier turning up in 'The Wild Geese II' - you still like to see him but wish he would have found more relevant roles and movies. But now he's been tied to Star Wars again, we probably can forget about that.

10 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Ugh, the damn food analogies....

Well, whatever I write it is Ugh from you

9 hours ago, Lhokne Mulb said:

Hornist, I think you're on to something. I think Tin Tin is probably the weakest link, and even that is good. 

If nothing else, this has been his most consistent decade in terms of quality. 

Exactly! Fantastic quality and its getting better all the time, since Williams is not anymore doing like four big films in one year.

I don't think this decade has even come close to being his best so far, but I do like most of his (limited) work. Tintin had fun moments...War Horse is breathtaking...Lincoln surprised me by quietly winning me over, months after my initial viewing...and I've relistened to TFA more times than any score in recent memory. I'm afraid The Book Thief is easily the weakest of these for me, mainly because it's so homogenous. I'm a sucker for variety within a score - I need a little more drama, a little more dynamism. It's a pleasant and well-crafted score, and although I've never seen the film, I'm sure the score serves it well. But that's about it.

'75-'85 will always be Williams' strongest "decade", or probably just the 80s if I had to pick an actual decade decade.

9 hours ago, Mr. Big said:

Any specific directors you have in mind?  

I would love to have him on a Stephen Frears, Jacques Audiard, Stone again or even Morricone's Tornatore: directors of a certain age who aren't afraid of film music like so many of the younger ones but also make movies about something.