2010's will be Williams' best decade?

Joni Wiljami

I find it so amazing that there exists a man like Williams who has been so consistent in producing music of quality that some can argue he was at his height in the 50s and some can argue he is producing his best music 65 years later. 

I would enjoy The Book Thief a lot more if Angela's Ashes didn't exist. I just hear too many similarities between the two. I am due for a relisten though, so my opinion may change.

War Horse, Tintin, Lincoln and The Force Awakens are all 5 star scores for me.

6 minutes ago, dfenton85 said:

I would enjoy The Book Thief a lot more if Angela's Ashes didn't exist. I just hear too many similarities between the two. I am due for a relisten though, so my opinion may change.

The Book Thief is the only score from the group that I don't consider to be great.  It's well-written as always but seems to lack any real spark.  

Hmmm...let's see:

War Horse -  solid score, a couple of great tracks, but an otherwise good but unremarkable score.

Lincoln - I love this score! Pretty simple, delicate, and beautiful. 

Tintin - fun but not much else.

TFA - Amazing!

Book Thief -  solid, some beautiful passages, but also fairly unremarkable.

So overall, nah, not his best decade in my book. 

The 2010s have produced some very fine works, with only The Book Thief falling among the unremarkable.

But the the heights of the 2000s are just too great for the '10s to compete.

3 hours ago, Mr. Big said:

The Book Thief is the only score from the group that I don't consider to be great.  It's well-written as always but seems to lack any real spark.  

I'd say the same for the film itself too. 

11 hours ago, artguy360 said:

Hmmm...let's see:

War Horse -  solid score, a couple of great tracks, but an otherwise good but unremarkable score.

Lincoln - I love this score! Pretty simple, delicate, and beautiful. 

Tintin - fun but not much else.

TFA - Amazing!

Book Thief -  solid, some beautiful passages, but also fairly unremarkable.

So overall, nah, not his best decade in my book. 

Not yet but my point is that this decade has some possibilities to become one of the greatest. Still many imaginative films coming and Johnny is still on the top of his game...

13 hours ago, dfenton85 said:

In this era of otherwise second rate shite, yes. 

I hadn't realised it was defined as being of Aussie origin in that link. It's also very much scouse slang. Then again the two dialects aren't really a world apart. 

I like The Adventures of Tintin, but it doesn't seem as well-structured overall as some of Williams' other scores, so it doesn't get as much play as some of his other works.

I also quite liked The Book Thief, but it quickly falls in that music-for-a-rainy-afternoon category that Angela's AshesThe Accidental Tourist and Catch Me If You Can have already claimed. I am curious to see the film and find out how the score plays with the images and if that will have an effect on my appreciation of The Book Thief.

I love The Force Awakens. It has that brassy boldness of an old-fashioned eighties film score that I just love. And Rey's Theme is gorgeous.

War Horse and Lincoln both didn't do much for me.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

I like The Adventures of Tintin, but it doesn't seem as well-structured overall as some of Williams' other scores, so it doesn't get as much play as some of his other works.

I also quite liked The Book Thief, but it quickly falls in that music-for-a-rainy-afternoon category that Angela's AshesThe Accidental Tourist and Catch Me If You Can have already claimed. I am curious to see the film and find out how the score plays with the images and if that will have an effect on my appreciation of The Book Thief.

I love The Force Awakens. It has that brassy boldness of an old-fashioned eighties film score that I just love. And Rey's Theme is gorgeous.

War Horse and Lincoln both didn't do much for me.

Dutchies agree!

Marc, I'm surprised you haven't been able to connect to War Horse.  How many chances did you give it?

I'm surprised so many of you have a lukewarm relationship to WAR HORSE. To me, it towers high, high above anything else he's done in the 2010's, his best score since MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA, IMO.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Marc, I'm surprised you haven't been able to connect to War Horse.  How many chances did you give it?

I've listened to the promo about four times and saw the film once. I didn't bother getting the OST. I couldn't tell you what the score sounds like or hum the theme.

Then again, apart from Kaminski's gorgeous photography, the movie did nothing for me either (even moreso with Lincoln - what a snoozefest that was).

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

I'm surprised so many of you have a lukewarm relationship to WAR HORSE. To me, it towers high, high above anything else he's done in the 2010's, his best score since MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA, IMO.

Completely agreed!

1 minute ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

I've listened to the promo about four times and saw the film once. I didn't bother getting the OST. I couldn't tell you what the score sounds like or hum the theme.

The promo is definitely not as good as the OST, especially if you got the pressing of the promo where all the tracks play in reverse order!

Then again, apart from Kaminski's gorgeous photography, the movie did nothing for me either (even moreso with Lincoln - what a snoozefest that was).

Yea, the film isn't very good, but that never hampered my enjoyment of the music.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

The [War Horse] promo is definitely not as good as the OST, especially if you got the pressing of the promo where all the tracks play in reverse order!

Is there anything on the OST that's not on the promo?

I don't know if it's JW best decade, but it's definitively mine!

Honnestly, since 2008, I buy each and single JW score that comes out and I love all of them.

And as you can see in other threads, i'm constantly trying to fill some gaps in my collection!

Outside of the gorgeous and underutilised theme I didn't like War Horse. I wrote here at the time that I think it's a remarkably bad score actually, coming from John Williams. 

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

What?  No, don't edit anything.  Just listen to the War Horse OST as Williams intended you to listen to it!

But I want my scores chronologically and as complete as possible, dammit.

That comes LATER, after you've decided you already like the score and want to go through the effort!

Just listen to the OST to start!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

That come LATER, after you've decided you already like the score and want to go through the effort!

Just listen to the OST to start!

I agree with Jason!

First learn to love the music before you sort it out!

22 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I agree with Jason!

First learn to love the music before you sort it out!

Or just learn to love the music, period.

20 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

When I feel I have no more love left, I just go to the grocery store to buy some more.

Last time I checked, they were out. I think the world is in short supply of that crap.