BloodBoal

I've always liked her as well, but I don't get the "too good to be a Bond girl" thing.

Ursula Andress was a Bond girl. As was Jane Seymour, Grace Jones, Michelle Yeoh, Sophie Marceau, Halle Berry, Monica Bellucci, and Eva Green.  Not to mention Barbara Bach, who was very much an equal of Bond in her turn as a Bond girl. And you could argue that Judi Dench was the Bond Girl of Skyfall.

Nothing wrong at all with being Bond girl, especially if the writers give her some substance.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I'll stick by my choice of Aiden Turner for Bond.

I can see it!

2ef38103fc8b604e677ef52740cba644.jpg1515604309-aidan-turner-bond.jpg?resize=plom15tux-main.png

34 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Ursula Andress was a Bond girl. As was Jane Seymour, Grace Jones, Michelle Yeoh, Sophie Marceau, Halle Berry and Eva Green.  Not to mention Barbara Bach, who was very much an equal of Bond in her turn as a Bond girl. And you could argue that Judi Dench was the Bond Girl of Skyfall.

Ursula Andress is known as a woman in a white bikini.  Not an actress.

I also don't consider Yeoh the "Bond girl" of TND.  That's Teri Hatcher (I know I'm splitting hairs).  Yeoh is also the last time they did anything remotely good with the concept.  The whole Bond Girl thing is one of the traditional Bond tropes I don't really care about.  They can feel free to change that as much as they want to make it good.

Edit: I ACKNOWLEDGE THIS WAS TOO DEFENSIVE OF MY INITIAL HARSHNESS

Well, perhaps, but I think the "too good to be a Bond girl" is sort of an insult to some of the many talented women (or just great women in general) who have played that part.

I certainly meant it most as an insult to the writers.  But I'll take your interpretation too.  Many of the women you listed are not good actors at all.

Barbara Bach is a terribly awkward performer and all of her line readings in that movie were wooden and kinda funny.  Part of the fun of course with the Moore Bonds.  That's me insulting her, for those keeping score.

She's great at being Lady Starkey though.

Edit: GOSH I REALLY LEANED INTO THE WHOLE DEFENSIVENESS THING DIDN'T I

7 hours ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

I want to see Bond smoke again. He doesn't even smoke cigars anymore like Roger Moore did. The character was written as a smoker.

Bond 3.jpg

The character was also written to hold 1950's upper class British ideas about race and homosexuality and women. What's your point?

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

The character was also written to hold 1950's upper class British ideas about race and homosexuality and women.

A very good reason for why Tarantino should direct the next one, and set it in the 60s!

A Bond shot in 70MM Panavision but that rarely leaves M's office, and is almost 3 hours long with a story way too insubstantial to justify that running time! GREAT!  

Fuck, what a waste of my time The Hateful Eight was. 

7 hours ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

I mean, the guy kills people. Why can't he smoke?

Sigh ...because in order to do his job well he needs to be healthy.

15 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

A very good reason for why Tarantino should direct the next one, and set it in the 60s!

It definitely would be different but that's exactly why most people would have a problem with it. Not me though, I like different.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Sigh ...because in order to do his job well he needs to be healthy.

Perhaps he could vape?

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Bonds alcohol and smoking addictions are addressed in the novels. Can’t remember which novel it was, but M straight up sends him to rehab. 

That's THUNDERBALL...I think...

11 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

And I know smokers who think it is not. And who themselves vape.

Well, they are not gonna think of themselves as being sissies, of course. 

23 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

You're not masculine unless you're actively killing yourself really slowly.

Vapers need a new manly role model, like the Marlboro man. 

2 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Well, they are not gonna think of themselves as being sissies, of course. 

People who smoke in this country tend not to give a shit about what other people think about them smoking. Or else they would stop.

I think smoking in 2018 is a dumb thing to do, btw.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

People who smoke in this country tend not to give a shit about what other people think about them smoking. Or else they would stop.

I think smoking in 2018 is a dumb thing to do, btw.

Smoking in 1918 was a dumb thing to do.

It's just even dumber now b/c people know it's dumb, and have no excuse.