Lord of the Rings Orchestration / Instrumentation questions

Sharkissimo

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I understand that there are strings (Celli) and the percussion, I am wondering what the wind instrument/instruments are/is could it be a bassoon?

Doug's book mentions Celli, contrabass and percussion.

• 1 year later...

Not sure this is the right thread to ask, but I've got a couple of questions about "Caras Galadhon."  Here's a quote from Shore's DVD commentary that coincides with Gandalf's Lament: "And then there was instrumental soloists of the ney flutes, the African flutes, and the rhaita, and there was an Indian instrument called a sarangi, which was a solo instrument used in Lothlórien."

1.  I don't hear any of the mentioned instruments.  Maybe I'm just not picking up the flutes, but there's no way there's a rhaita in there (I have a rhaita - it's an instrument with two dynamics: "fortissimo" and "not playing it.")  Is there a version of Gandalf's Lament with additional instruments besides the sarangi?  If so, are they restored in the LTP?

2.  What specific "African flutes?"  Unless I missed it, there's no mention of them in the annotated scores or Doug's book.

37 minutes ago, Gnome in Plaid said:

Not sure this is the right thread to ask, but I've got a couple of questions about "Caras Galadhon."  Here's a quote from Shore's DVD commentary that coincides with Gandalf's Lament: "And then there was instrumental soloists of the ney flutes, the African flutes, and the rhaita, and there was an Indian instrument called a sarangi, which was a solo instrument used in Lothlórien."

1.  I don't hear any of the mentioned instruments.  Maybe I'm just not picking up the flutes, but there's no way there's a rhaita in there (I have a rhaita - it's an instrument with two dynamics: "fortissimo" and "not playing it.")  Is there a version of Gandalf's Lament with additional instruments besides the sarangi?  If so, are they restored in the LTP?

2.  What specific "African flutes?"  Unless I missed it, there's no mention of them in the annotated scores or Doug's book.

I think Shore is speaking on general level, not scene specficially when he lists the instruments there in the commentary meaning the whole score not Gandalf's Lament.

Reading the full quote

I wanted the score to have a feeling of a cast and certain people were cast for certain scenes. Elizabeth Fraser has such a wonderful voice and Fran suggested her and I thought she would be a wonderful singer for Gandalf's Lament. Gandalf’s Lament is a song that the Elves sing and you wanted that to feel as if that was being sung in Lothlórien. You wanted to feel that was real and that the Elves were singing this piece. And it’s in a two part counterpoint, Gandalf’s Lament. It’s the choir, it’s somewhat of a call and answer type of form. And then there was instrumental soloists of the ney flutes, the African flutes, and the rhaita, and there was an Indian instrument called a sarangi, which was a solo instrument used in Lothlórien.

I'm not sure it rules out Lothlorien having a rhaita.  The African flutes are still a mystery though.

I am certain we would have heard if rhaita had been involved. It's not one to hide its beautiful voice in the textures. ;)

I still maintain that Shore is jumping from one thought to the next and refering to the film as a whole with the last sentence, mentioning sarangi last and connecting only that with Lothlorien.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Scholars will be debating those points for centuries to come. Great forums will be organised to establish a doctrine according to the words and teachings of The Shore.

Or they just release the sheet music and we'll have look at it this ourselves. BAM! End of story and debate!

Sorry Gnome but you're wrong and not understanding what he's saying properly.

He's not saying there's a rhaita in Lothlorien. He's talking about the whole score.