Fawkes The Phoenix music error

Dev Ahuja

1 hour ago, Dev Ahuja said:

I am a 5th grader and I am playing Fawkes The Phoenix in band class. We have noticed that the time signature is 3/4 and the first note is a pickup note. But, in the last measure, there are 3 beats!!! This is an error!

19370574.jpg

"Thank you for pointing this out to me, Mr. Ahuja. I'll order the immediate withdrawal of all my piano sheet music from print. You're welcome"

- JTW

IYo3moH.gif

It's the fault of the arrangers listed. Doesn't affect the music at all, but I imagine it's the kind of mistake that would make the difference between an A+ grade and a regular A grade. 

Looks like Michael Story and Robert W. Smith have some explaining to do.

16 hours ago, Stefancos said:

So now what?

16 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Now we sue Williams!

16 hours ago, Alexander said:

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSS!

12 hours ago, loert423 said:

cnWkdXR.gif

As you can see, Williams is absolutely horrified by this terrible news.

5-year-old kind-of responses to a 10-year-old kid? Not fair!

Agreed. That somehow didn't sit right with me. Joking around is 95% of what this place is about, I get that, but perhaps look at who you're talking to first.

I want to salute Dev for coming here and posting about his discovery. I don't know anything about music in a technical sense, but awesome that you play the bass clarinet! Keep it up!

Thanks for posting, Dev! This is probably the arranger or engraver's doing, since the piece doesn't normally start that way. But there is a tendency in film music to sometimes ignore conventions like these. One of the things you'll find about music (and life in general) as you continue to grow is that a lot of "rules" are actually more like guidelines. It's important to understand them and be able to follow them, but from time to time, there's a good reason to break them. :)

Welcome to the forum, and good luck! This is a pretty silly place. :P

1 hour ago, hornist said:

And technically this kid is right. There should be only one quarter rest in the last bar.

As far as I've ever experienced, that would only be the case if you were meant to return to the start of the piece when you reached the end, like a hymn or something.  Otherwise, what difference does it make?

But... how?

If a piece begins within a bar, so be it.  And if it ends within a bar, so be it.  Why should those correspond unless, again, it's a melodic line that repeats itself?

I've never heard of this notation convention before, at least not applied to large-scale pieces like this.  What sense does it make that I'm missing?

I don't quite see the error myself to be honest. The end of the piece is indicated in the last bar without any repeat, so there is no reason it should account for the pickup beat at the beginning of the piece.

With that, welcome to JWFan Dev! Hope you stick around, even though it can be really crazy around here.

The last bar should have 2 crotchet rests, not 3. This is so that the first and last bar add together to create a whole bar.

It's actually something I remember quite vividly from when we had whole-class music lessons in primary school, because of how weird I think it is. If a pickup bar in a 4/4 piece has 1 beat, does that mean that a soloist playing the piece can get up and bow after three beats on the final bar? Or if the pickup bar has three beats, is one beat enough? Or 5 beats? Surely the audience would just assume the last bar would have 4 beats since the piece is in that meter?

And although it would make sense if there's a repeat sign there, it still doesn't solve this "problem" when the repeat is used up...you still end up with a cut-off final bar.

I'm glad I'm not the only one on here who doesn't see much an issue with the score...

Oh, btw, welcome to the forum Dev. :up:

Dev is right.  Though a minor detail and considered archaic and superfluous, it is part of the rules and the ABRSM royal college music theory test that the beats should add up so a pick up is borrowing a beat from the end.  

"If there is a pickup measure, the final measure of the piece should be shortened by the length of the pickup measure (although this rule is sometimes ignored in less formal written music). " from the Art of Music Engraving (Music Prep guideline reference).

So it can be ignored but you were right.  Good job.

I think it's awesome he's doing JW Harry Potter music in the 5th grade. I was in band around that age playing clarinet and before I dropped out because my canker sores were exploding, I kept getting pissed we weren't doing any Williams or Star Trek music. Fuckin' teacher hated me. "Can we do the TIE Fighter Attack?"