'Fifth Beatle', Sir George Martin Dies At Age 90

A24

Martin is a legendary producer who was great for The Beatles in particular because of his vast knowledge of classical repertoire. But the way Radio 2 is going on and on and on about his passing this morning it's like Princess Diana all over again as far as the Beeb is concerned. They over report on these things so much that it gets to the point you get sick of hearing about it. And it ain't even lunchtime yet. 

Everyone is falling over themselves to call Martin "the fifth Beatle", which is probably news to a lot of people - since before today that was widely accepted as being Brian Epstein, even by Paul McCartney. 

Live And Let Die is my favorite ancient Bond movie. Yaphet Kotto ( who portrays a surprisingly contemporary villain a la Tarantino), Jane Seymour, Voodoo, ... 

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Noticed what?

That if you take the RR out of George RR Martin, its the same name as that Beatles guy

... the string quartet in "Yesterday", the string ensemble in "Eleanor Rigby", the clarinets in "When I'm 64", the orchestral chaos of "A Day in the Life", the trumpet solo in "Penny Lane", the potpourri of quotes from famous pieces in "All You Need is Love", the Baroque keyboard solo in "In My Life", the cellos (and the rest) in "Strawberry Fields"... what would these pieces be without those "signature" elements?

Wherever George Martin was involved as an arranger, he always left a very important, distinctive sign. The most beautiful "colours" of the Beatles' songs are due to him. The Beatles were really five. 

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

2016 is horrible for taking people away from us. :(

It's really abnormal this year. I have a feeling I will die too.

One of the key figures behind some of the best stuff of the Beatles. RIP :(

:music: Eleanor Rigby

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

I like Bond movies, but to me they're Bank Holiday movies at the end of the day. Like The Great Escape. 

Or 'Where Eagles Dare'. Or 'Ice Station Zebra'.

RIP Sir George. LALD is one of the grooviest greeting cards from the 70's.