Simon Franglen / James Horner's "The Magnificent Seven" (2016)

Matt C

According to Film Score Monthly, Simon Franglen is recording his score for Antoine Fuqua's The Magnificent Seven, based on themes by the late James Horner. Franglen worked with Horner on several films as arranger, score producer and synth programmer for The Amazing Spider-Man, Avatar, The Karate Kid, Wolf Totem and The 33.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2016/03/11/simon-franglen-scoring-antoine-fuquas-the-magnificent-seven/

This should be an interesting score to watch when it comes out fall 2016.

I wonder if we will eventually find out how much Horner wrote before he died.

Im extremely sceptical about the directors story that Horner wrote a complete score just based on the script. Especially since he did so on his own without telling the director. 

There's not a chance of that happening

Avatar is a billion dollar movie.  It will get a big name composer.

This is great news. A nice way to keep Horner's score. I'm guessing it'll be like the process in Chamber of Secrets.

They could probably do almost the same with Avatar, considering Horner probably wrote many more hours of music that was never heard in the film. So it can be adapted. Because a big name composer like Newton Howard or Silvestri (who I think are the best choices) wont want to score it out of respect to Horner, and if they are convinced, they will want to do their own thing, so we'll lose all of Horner's music.

Just now, Stefancos said:

Why would Cameron recycle unused music from the first Avatar? It's quite a different situation when compared to The Magnificent Seven, where Horner actually wrote new material.

Of course, but we don't know how much and of what relation his unused music had. He may have written a multitude of themes that were unused because of script changed. I don't know. I'm just worried that those who are great for the job will turn it down out of respect, which I understand, but Cameron is then forced to find a lesser composer.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Again, why would Cameron need to recycle unused music from Avatar?

Why wouldnt he hire a big name composer to create an original score, which possible contains some of Horner's themes?

Again, because the big name composers that are right for the job may turn it down. 

Ok, so you are saying, because JNH or Silvestri etc may turn it down, so it's better to just get someone to adapt whatever Horner wrote and wasnt used in the film?

I'm not being an ass, I just don't follow your logic.

I'm saying that considering the amount of music Horner most likely wrote, that they could adapt it for use. I didn't say they should. And a Composer like Newton Howard and Silvestri wont want to wipe out Horner's stuff, nor would they want to carry it on because they like doing their own thing, so it would be easier and logical for them to turn it down if offered.

Ah. Speculation time again?

It's unlikely that they'll use unused AVATAR music for the sequel. It's more likely that the new composer -- whoever that is -- will use a couple of Horner's themes in his own compositions. Or maybe not; maybe just tap into Horner's style. I don't think they will be abandoning Horner's musical vernacular altogether.

Time will tell.

Would have been more interesting to translate the material to another time and setting like the original western was to Seven Samurai .  The iconic theme will loom large over this for score-lovers, but I'm curious to see what the outcome is nonetheless.

16 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Im extremely sceptical about the directors story that Horner wrote a complete score just based on the script. Especially since he did so on his own without telling the director. 

He probably just wrote a few suites with his main ideas. These ideas will probably be expanded upon by Franglen in Horner's style, which I assume he's quite familiar with.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Brian Tyler it is then!

Oh God no! :folder:

19 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I'm thinking Horner wrote several themes and a demo suite for the film, and that was it. I think Fuqua was overstating things when Horner's music team called him about the material he pre-wrote for the movie.

As for the Avatar sequels, Horner talked about revisiting the world and reprising some of his previous themes from the first film. So whoever Cameron hires for the three movies will be mandated to use Horner's material in his/her scores.

11 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

I'm saying that considering the amount of music Horner most likely wrote, that they could adapt it for use. I didn't say they should. And a Composer like Newton Howard and Silvestri wont want to wipe out Horner's stuff, nor would they want to carry it on because they like doing their own thing, so it would be easier and logical for them to turn it down if offered.

I don't understand this insistence that JNH/Silvestri or any other big names would decline to do it. Yes, the circumstances are different, but it's still a movie that need a score, and probably one of the more interesting big budget canvases.

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, Matt C said:

Sony Classical is releasing the soundtrack. Horner and Franglen share composing credit, BTW.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2016/06/21/sony-classical-to-release-james-horners-simon-franglens-the-magnificent-seven-soundtrack/

Great, I'm very much looking forward to this!

I still haven't been able to listen to The 33 or Southpaw, the loss is still too raw.  This one will join those as "some day" when I'm ready for it....

Southpaw is a very un-Horner score. You might be really surprised by it.

I bought Pas De Deux just about a week before his death so now it forms a sort of an elegy for him in my mind.

Karol

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Richard said:

So...that's it for JH, then, is it? No more new music?

There's stuff he wrote prior to this that never had a release and only a select few have heard, like his score to the 2013 Romeo and Juliet film that was rejected.

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

But Richard is essentially correct.

Thanks. :(

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Well obviously.

Let's hope that there will be lots of complete score rereleases, to look forward to.

Top of my list:

BRAINSTORM

WILLOW

*batteries not included

APOLLO 13

and, of course, the aforementioned SPECTRAL SHIMMERS.

Willow and Titanic top my list (along with Romeo and Juliet)

Apollo 13 can be found online if you don't want to wait for an official release Richard.

Hopefully we get a clear picture soon of what exactly the situation was on this, through the liner notes or interviews with Fuqua/Franglen or whatever. Would be nice to know if there's anything in the score that is 100% Horner, or if it's all pretty much just Franglen using a couple themes and Horner's credit is more of a tribute. Hope it's a good score, regardless, and all pretty seamless.