The Force Theme Concert version (The Force Awakens)

On Dutchy TV right now there's a film music concert, dedicated to Williams, and in its Star Wars suite there's Whats essentially a concert version of the Force Theme. Sounds like its kind of based on the TFA trailer music version of the theme. It's played to images from that film too.

About 7 minutes in length, and by the sound of it NOT an arrangement made by Williams. 

Anyone encountered this arrangement before?

After listening to that, I'm not sure the force theme should have a concert arrangement. It's weird. 

Very disappointing. Too bad they didn't bother to play Rey's Theme or something new from The Force Awakens, instead playing some hideous arrangement of Force Theme mixed with material that was not even in Star Wars.

Thank you for posting!

4 minutes ago, zaddini said:

Very disappointing. Too bad they didn't bother to play Rey's Theme or something new from The Force Awakens, instead playing some hideous arrangement of Force Theme mixed with material that was not even in Star Wars.

Thank you for posting!

The actual TFA music isn't nearly epic enough so they had to write something from scratch.  

So yeah, that arrangement has convinced me that the Force Theme should never get a concert arrangement. I like that JW has always kept it a motif, it carries more impact that way. Whatever this arrangement was going for just sounds off, especially with all that non-JW supporting music. 

I'm sure Williams could write a great concert arrangement of the Force Theme

That video is kind of like those Final Fantasy concerts loosely based on the themes

I wonder if Williams has to "approve" it

Can anybody else here hint's at Rey's Theme in some of the background?

1 hour ago, artguy360 said:

So yeah, that arrangement has convinced me that the Force Theme should never get a concert arrangement. I like that JW has always kept it a motif, it carries more impact that way. Whatever this arrangement was going for just sounds off, especially with all that non-JW supporting music. 

Hearing a bad arrangement only makes me want a true Force Theme concert suite even more (although I personally see ROTS as one giant exploration of the Force Theme).

9 minutes ago, king mark said:

I'm sure Williams could write a great concert arrangement of the Force Theme

That video is kind of like those Final Fantasy concerts loosely based on the themes

I wonder if Williams has to "approve" it

Based on this and the plethora of really crappy band arrangements, I'm going with, no, he does not have to approve it.  Some of those band arrangements are nightmarishly bad.

A concert version would be inappropriate because like others say, it IS infact a motif. It is short and has just 4 phrases, there is no interlude or bridge so to say and a new one would have to be written to play it at any great length. 

5 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

A concert version would be inappropriate because like others say, it IS infact a motif. It is short and has just 4 phrases, there is no interlude or bridge so to say and a new one would have to be written to play it at any great length. 

It's just a motif?

What?

This was weird. Boring trailerish arrangement.

It also came out of nowhere, starting right after a performance of The Imperial March. It was the only piece not to get an introduction.

If they wanted to include something from TFA, they should have played Rey's Theme!

The rest of the concert was quite good though.

42 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Isn't the Indiana Jones theme just 4 phrases? A lot of themes are?

It of course has an interlude/bridge.

You COULD do a concert version of a "theme" let's say just 4 phrases but say it takes only 20 seconds, how would you fill 3 minutes with just that identity. You would need a bridge or interlude to prop it up (I am using these words as a layman, I dunno what the musical terms for these things are). Otherwise its just repeating the 4 phrases again and again.

Like the famous Shire theme. It cannot have a stand alone concert suite (atleast I haven't heard one)  in its original form because there's not enough material to fill out the length of a concert suite.

Before you kick in your disdain, let me say that I am not in the least musically educated and am only a listener.

2 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Like the famous Shire theme. It cannot have a stand alone concert suite (atleast I haven't heard one)  in its original form because there's not enough material to fill out the length of a concert suite.

Concerning Hobbits is basically a concert suite of the theme (even if technically, yes, it's a film cue, it can definitely be seen as a concert version of the theme).

Indeed!

Williams, if he wanted could probably whip up a brilliant 4 minute concert version of The Force Theme which would kick this "trailerized" version's ass back to Hoth!

I've never had any particular need to have a concert version of The Force Theme though. Williams has had loads of versions of it over the years. Pretty sure it's his most used theme.

This arrangement has all the hallmarks of trailer arrangements. The thick orchestration, the clunky percussion hits, nothing to suggest anything of complexity. It's an odd choice to play this. If you're going to devote half your concert to Williams and half of that to Star Wars, because you like it so much, at least play Williams...

I think Williams intends the extended throne room piece to be the concert version of the force theme.  It is over four minutes longs, has bridges, interludes, etc, and it awesome.   

The Force Theme can't handle a concert arrangement not because it's a motif (it's not), but because it doesn't have a B section. There's no contrasting material, no exposition. So one has to generate that, as this arranger has.

I actually first thought they were playing one of the trailer cues.

The problem with this type of music is that it doesn't really translate well to a live orchestra performance. Especially a highly talented, but small ensemble like the Metropole Orchestra.

For this type of arrangement to work it needs amplified drums a big sampled orchestra sound and most of all the EPIC Choir Of The Apocalypse.

What I find strange is that they couldn't even get the notes of the Force Theme right! (FD FD D instead of FD AF D, as an example) I don't think Williams will be happy...

I've just got the signature edition score book and The Jedi Steps (Concert Version) doesn't have the Force Theme in it from first look anyway. 

Meh....

It seems to have too many bells and whistles in ROTS, which is a score full of all kinds of patina.

For me the Force Theme works better in simpler, more direct renditions. Without being smothered in piccolo runs or xylophone hits.

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Meh....

It seems to have too many bells and whistles in ROTS, which is a score full of all kinds of patina.

For me the Force Theme works better in simpler, more direct renditions. Without being smothered in piccolo runs or xylophone hits.

I think you are unduly connecting the bells and whistles on display throughout the score with the renditions of the Force Theme, which is actually very inventively used throughout the score and given great variety which revivifies it immensely.

I think people here are generally confused, addled and befuddled.

I like it.