Hans Zimmer and Tom Holkenborg's Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Sharkissimo

Same.

So it begins. JWFan2225 will dismantle this place one thread at a time!

I think he sent an earlier PM but I didn't get the chance to open it. Now it seems to have disappeared.

"Hi! Do you have the Batman v Superman soundtrack? Will trade for iTunes giftcards!"

4 minutes ago, KK. said:

Same.

So it begins. JWFan2225 will dismantle this place one thread at a time!

I think he sent an earlier PM but I didn't get the chance to open it. Now it seems to have disappeared.

The PM notice only appears when I acces this particular thread though. Which isn't how the PM system normally works.

I haven't yet put my thoughts totally in order, but for now my general feeling is that this is exactly what I expected plus some very welcome surprises.  I wouldn't at this point put it above MOS but that could change with familiarity.

Naturally there will be the expected negative overreactions from people you'd think wouldn't bother in the first place.  Puzzling, that.  I wonder if they go to heavy metal concerts and complain that the amps are too big and noisy.

2 hours ago, Sharky said:

That's really the Clark Kent theme, associated with his wholesome Midwestern upbringing and his essential humanity--explaining the quasi-gospel harmonisation.

There's a number themes, motifs, cells and chords from MOS that carried over and developed, usually rotated in a cyclic pattern. The names are my own.

Clark Kent - 0:00-1:04 in Day of the Dead. 4:31-5:29 in This is My World, 3:30-4:30 in Men Are Still Gods

Love - 3:34-4:07 in Is She With You?

Krypton Cluster - 1:07-37 in Day of the Dead, 5:28-38 in This is My World, 0:00-22 in Men Are Still Gods, 3:27 to the end in Blood of My Blood, 3:02 to the end in May I Help You, Mr. Wayne?

Kal El - 1:13-37 in Day of the Dead, 0:58-1:17, 0:58-1:17 in Problems Up Here, 2:24-2:48, 3:08-20 and 06:38-58 in Black and Blue, 3:13-25 and 4:05 to the end in Blood of My Blood,

Semitone Waver - 2:04-34 in Tuesday, 2:23-48 and 6:34-7:07 in Black and Blue, 03:39 to the end in Blood of My Blood

Superman in Ascent - 1:37-58 in Day of the Dead, 5:38-6:01 in This is My World, 0:22-42 in Men Are Still Gods,

Superman's Heroics - 6:01 to the end in This is My World, 0:42-1:04 in Men Are Still Gods

Superman in Peril - 1:58 to the end in Day of the Dead

Lara's Lullaby - 2:57-3:15 in Problems Up Here

Metropolis Threnody 0:31-1:58 in This is My World

Zod B Ostinato - 1:28-2:22 in Their War Here, 3:08-20 in Black and Blue

Zod Impeded - 2:04-22 in Their War Here

Zod Passacaglia - 1:43-49 and 3:28 to the end in Their War Here

Zod's Wrath - 1:21-28 and 2:34-42 in Their War Here and 3:26-43 and 4:10-13 in Black and Blue

In it's standard form, Superman in Ascent is capped by Superman's Heroics (Ab/Eb > F in block voicing)--which combines with the preceding Krypton Cluster and Kal El to form the "Superman Cycle", heard in significant moments throughout MOS. In Day of the Dead for example, it's replaced by Superman in Peril, its minor moded flip side. Generally, the Kal El and the Krypton Cluster are connected the more "alien" side to Supes, neither threatening nor benign.

Zod's Wrath represents a single sonority and its derived harmonies--Cm with an added ninth and/or flat sixth.

Great stuff.  What do you think of it all?

17 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Great stuff.  What do you think of it all?

The new score? I like the refashioning of old material and there are some promising new ideas (the Bruce Wayne piano theme, Luthor's triple-dotted note theme, the eerie 3 note trumpet call, the Goldenthal/Kronos Quartet style string figures), but the action is just senseless Sturm und Drang... Oil Rig x 10. Maybe I'll come around to it.

Yeah the action doesn't really have any of the catchy elements that MOS had going for it.

I am already fond of the Batman theme though.  Holkenborg has a really distinctive voice, much to his credit.

And I'll be damned if those obviously Whitacre choral parts aren't really moving.  This Is My World, I mean, finally, this guy is in Hollywood.  And is that soloist Hila Plitmann?  Certainly sounds like her.  Or Grace Davidson?

Gotta say though, I wish Whitacre were credited up front along with Holkenborg.  I bet that passage is something a lot of folks will like, and I want them to know who's responsible, damn it!

Bruce Wayne's piano theme is nice. But Batman's main thematic identity is a real mixed bag. I like elements of it (the trumpet line, for one), but the bulk of it is, as Sharky mentions above, sturm-und-drang, beating you to death... Holkenborg certainly has a distinctive voice, its just not a very interesting one I'm afraid.

The MoS material gets some nice development, but I wish there was more of it. Lex Luther's violin idea has potential, but seems to be underrepresented on album. The action material is clearly the weakest part of the score, which is a shame since it makes up the majority of it. Superman's theme has more warmth and life to it here than I remembered it having in MoS, but that could just be because its grown on me over time.

And this personal message comes up only on page 2 for me.

Sweet maybe it will go away when we get to page 3.

I might have time to investigate when I'm on desktop tomorrow, I've been on mobile all day

9 hours ago, Drax said:

It's just fuckin' background music in movies. Who cares?

While you are being cynical, it's actually true. I don't think it wants to be anything more than music that is meant to enhance the story and the images. Maybe Junkie will one day write a symphony or a concerto for us to purely listen to?

So somebody has given JWfan a virus?

Alex

15 hours ago, Stefancos said:

This is obviously the result of poor leadership and I think that the situations calls for the immediate dismissal of Jason and Incanus as moderators!

I say Bloodboal and KK should take over!

Oh Steffie! You and your Mod-envy!

It appears even when you are not signed on. Some kind of glitch.

Predictions on when Tom Holkenborg will drop the "aka Junkie XL" from his screen credits? I bet his first credit of 2017 will be as just 'Tom Holkenborg'.

I only ask the important questions, people!

8 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

He should drop the "Tom Holkenborg" from his screen credits, and have all his papers ( ID card, passport, driving license, etc.) be changed to replace his name with Junkie XL.

That would make for interesting trips through airport security when your legal name is 'Junkie'.

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

Does the lovely Krypton theme return in this one? 

You mean the Love theme? Only in its compressed form, heard after Jor El's death and in the brief romantic moments between Kal and Lois.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Predictions on when Tom Holkenborg will drop the "aka Junkie XL" from his screen credits? I bet his first credit of 2017 will be as just 'Tom Holkenborg'.

I only ask the important questions, people!

He actually did Black Mass as Tom Holkenborg. I was surprised to see that he brought back "JXL" for BVS.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

He actually did Black Mass as Tom Holkenborg. I was surprised to see that he brought back "JXL" for BVS.

Ahhh I didn't know that. That's the first and, presumably only, time my not bothering to see Black Mass will matter at all :)

12 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Ahhh I didn't know that. That's the first and, presumably only, time my not bothering to see Black Mass will matter at all :)

The movie was all right :)

1 hour ago, Sharky said:

You mean the Love theme? Only in its compressed form, heard after Jor El's death and in the brief romantic moments between Kal and Lois.

Or does he mean Lara's lullaby?  The return of that is quite haunting. 

I think he's referring to the full lullaby melody, which does have one nice reprisal in the new score.