Hans Zimmer and Tom Holkenborg's Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Sharkissimo

I see that reviews for this soundtrack are coming out already.

Look, I know it's common practice , including around here, but personally I don't think a review of a soundtrack by someone who hasn't seen the movie means much. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable weighing in on the effectiveness of a score without hearing it in its intended context.

19 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Look, I know it's common practice , including around here, but personally I don't think a review of a soundtrack by someone who hasn't seen the movie means much. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable weighing in on the effectiveness of a score without hearing it in its intended context.

Depends on how you qualify the music. We all love scores to films we've never seen.

I suppose that's true although it's a pretty small list for me and if I do like an OST for a movie I haven't seen I always try to see it.

I dunno, I understand both sides of the debate.

I try to meet it somewhere in the middle. I do believe scores should be evaluated on what they were written for, but score albums are meant to be listened away from the film so if it's bad music to listen to on its own, that's a valid point to make.

46 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Is anyone here weighing in on the effectiveness of the score?  I see only discussion of music.

6 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Is anyone here weighing in on the effectiveness of the score?  I see only discussion of music.

Oh I'm not talking about the discussion in the forum. I just personally don't think it makes sense to write a formal review with a score until you've seen the movie.

I know there have been many times I was not overly impressed with a score until I saw it in context.  I listened to 10 Cloverfield Lane many times before seeing the movie and it wasn't really grabbing me, but after seeing the movie I love it.  Sometimes a character's theme won't seem memorable until you've seen the movie and maybe really fallen for that character; definitely the case with me and McCreary's theme for Michelle.

Obviously a great score can be great out of context, but if I was a music critic I wouldn't feel comfortable publishing a negative review without having seen the movie.

11 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I try to meet it somewhere in the middle. I do believe scores should be evaluated on what they were written for, but score albums are meant to be listened away from the film so if it's bad music to listen to on its own, that's a valid point to make.

Exactly. A soundtrack album is released under that principle. That you listen to the music outside of the film. If that were not the case, they would not even release it.

Yes, but that being said, the music was written first and foremost for a film, and watching it can help you understand better the decisions the composer made regarding the music, why he wrote it in such a way, etc. and thus can lead to a better appreciation of it.

53 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Yes, but that being said, the music was written first and foremost for a film, and watching it can help you understand better the decisions the composer made regarding the music, why he wrote it in such a way, etc. and thus can lead to a better appreciation of it.

And then there are cases where the score might outshine the film in such a way it is better enjoyed separated from the images entirely.

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

And then there are cases where the score might outshine the film in such a way it is better enjoyed separated from the images entirely.

Yeah, I agree with that.  Like I said, I'm just kind of uneasy about critics publishing really negative reviews of soundtracks for movies they haven't seen.  I'm not saying they should never do it, just that it's a little iffy I guess.

I'm not even inclined to like the BvS soundtrack, but I've seen some formally published reviews slamming it brutally and it's just weird to me to make harsh judgments like that out of context.

People have been going off the assumption that Holkenborg handled all Batman material and Zimmer everything else. I'm not sure how accurate that is but I agree the credits should be a lot more clear.

But do you expect the same clarity from a Floyd album's credits as to who wrote what?  That kind of thing can be hard to quantify when you're all jamming with the same material. 

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

People have been going off the assumption that Holkenborg handled all Batman material and Zimmer everything else. I'm not sure how accurate that is but I agree the credits should be a lot more clear.

It's not an assumption. Hans said it himself when he announced that he was scoring the film years ago. 

1 hour ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

But do you expect the same clarity from a Floyd album's credits as to who wrote what?  That kind of thing can be hard to quantify when you're all jamming with the same material. 

This is true. Age of Ultron could credit like that because the composers worked completely separately from each other.  This one was clearly more collaborative.

2 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

It's not an assumption. Hans said it himself when he announced that he was scoring the film years ago. 

Ah, I didn't know that was official.

Batman vs Superman vs people who know good film music vs Hanz Zimmer fanz.

When it comes to these DC Comics movies, it seems you have to be either Hans Zimmer, James Newton Howard or someone connected with them in order to do the music. I'm sick of this shit.

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

And in a recent interview he confirmed that that was no longer the case. They collaborated on it.

3 hours ago, Drax said:

But my DSOTM album does day who wrote what in the tracklist.

Sure, but if Gilmour writes a tune and some chords and maybe a riff, it's still up to the rest to actually make some music out of it.  They're not playing from scores, it's a jam. 

15 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

The score or the Batman material? I'm sure Holkenborg worked on all aspects of the music.

The Batman material.

Around 3:55

Certainly better than wasting time complaining about something you were never gonna like in the first place. 

Don't be a Joey, ET!  You're better than that. 

4 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Sure, but if Gilmour writes a tune and some chords and maybe a riff, it's still up to the rest to actually make some music out of it.  They're not playing from scores, it's a jam. 

So are we talking about film scores or old bands jamming now? I'm confused.

22 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

We're talking about film scores that are produced by bands jamming.

So Hands Zimmer is a band?

22 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

We're talking about film scores that are produced by bands jamming.

So Hands Zimmer is a band?