• Announcements

    • Jay

      Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

      Hello!

      We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sharky

Hans Zimmer and Tom Holkenborg's Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

193 posts in this topic

Let's accelerate the process!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Alex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Predictions on when Tom Holkenborg will drop the "aka Junkie XL" from his screen credits? I bet his first credit of 2017 will be as just 'Tom Holkenborg'.

 

I only ask the important questions, people!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He should drop the "Tom Holkenborg" from his screen credits, and have all his papers ( ID card, passport, driving license, etc.) be changed to replace his name with Junkie XL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A little less conversation, a little more action if you please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

He should drop the "Tom Holkenborg" from his screen credits, and have all his papers ( ID card, passport, driving license, etc.) be changed to replace his name with Junkie XL.

 

That would make for interesting trips through airport security when your legal name is 'Junkie'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Quintus said:

Does the lovely Krypton theme return in this one? 

 

You mean the Love theme? Only in its compressed form, heard after Jor El's death and in the brief romantic moments between Kal and Lois.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Predictions on when Tom Holkenborg will drop the "aka Junkie XL" from his screen credits? I bet his first credit of 2017 will be as just 'Tom Holkenborg'.

 

I only ask the important questions, people!

He actually did Black Mass as Tom Holkenborg. I was surprised to see that he brought back "JXL" for BVS.

Disco Stu likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

He actually did Black Mass as Tom Holkenborg. I was surprised to see that he brought back "JXL" for BVS.

 

Ahhh I didn't know that. That's the first and, presumably only, time my not bothering to see Black Mass will matter at all :)

Mr. Who likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

 

Ahhh I didn't know that. That's the first and, presumably only, time my not bothering to see Black Mass will matter at all :)

The movie was all right :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sharky said:

 

You mean the Love theme? Only in its compressed form, heard after Jor El's death and in the brief romantic moments between Kal and Lois.

 

 

 

Or does he mean Lara's lullaby?  The return of that is quite haunting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he's referring to the full lullaby melody, which does have one nice reprisal in the new score.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Right, so, after a few listens this is starting to come together.  There's less "needless noise" than it seems at first.

So it's a "grower"?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see that reviews for this soundtrack are coming out already.

 

Look, I know it's common practice , including around here, but personally I don't think a review of a soundtrack by someone who hasn't seen the movie means much. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable weighing in on the effectiveness of a score without hearing it in its intended context.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe it was Jerry Goldsmith that said a great score is able to stand alone outside of the film. I would not presume to debate him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I see that reviews for this soundtrack are coming out already.

 

Look, I know it's common practice , including around here, but personally I don't think a review of a soundtrack by someone who hasn't seen the movie means much. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable weighing in on the effectiveness of a score without hearing it in its intended context.

Depends on how you qualify the music. We all love scores to films we've never seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose that's true although it's a pretty small list for me and if I do like an OST for a movie I haven't seen I always try to see it.

 

I dunno, I understand both sides of the debate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I try to meet it somewhere in the middle. I do believe scores should be evaluated on what they were written for, but score albums are meant to be listened away from the film so if it's bad music to listen to on its own, that's a valid point to make.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I see that reviews for this soundtrack are coming out already.

 

Look, I know it's common practice , including around here, but personally I don't think a review of a soundtrack by someone who hasn't seen the movie means much. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable weighing in on the effectiveness of a score without hearing it in its intended context.

 

Is anyone here weighing in on the effectiveness of the score?  I see only discussion of music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

 

Is anyone here weighing in on the effectiveness of the score?  I see only discussion of music.

 

Oh I'm not talking about the discussion in the forum. I just personally don't think it makes sense to write a formal review with a score until you've seen the movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

I believe it was Jerry Goldsmith that said a great score is able to stand alone outside of the film. I would not presume to debate him.

 

The operative word is "great."

Disco Stu and Bofur01 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know there have been many times I was not overly impressed with a score until I saw it in context.  I listened to 10 Cloverfield Lane many times before seeing the movie and it wasn't really grabbing me, but after seeing the movie I love it.  Sometimes a character's theme won't seem memorable until you've seen the movie and maybe really fallen for that character; definitely the case with me and McCreary's theme for Michelle.

 

Obviously a great score can be great out of context, but if I was a music critic I wouldn't feel comfortable publishing a negative review without having seen the movie.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I try to meet it somewhere in the middle. I do believe scores should be evaluated on what they were written for, but score albums are meant to be listened away from the film so if it's bad music to listen to on its own, that's a valid point to make.

 

Exactly. A soundtrack album is released under that principle. That you listen to the music outside of the film. If that were not the case, they would not even release it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, but that being said, the music was written first and foremost for a film, and watching it can help you understand better the decisions the composer made regarding the music, why he wrote it in such a way, etc. and thus can lead to a better appreciation of it.

Disco Stu likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Yes, but that being said, the music was written first and foremost for a film, and watching it can help you understand better the decisions the composer made regarding the music, why he wrote it in such a way, etc. and thus can lead to a better appreciation of it.

And then there are cases where the score might outshine the film in such a way it is better enjoyed separated from the images entirely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Incanus said:

And then there are cases where the score might outshine the film in such a way it is better enjoyed separated from the images entirely.

 

Yeah, I agree with that.  Like I said, I'm just kind of uneasy about critics publishing really negative reviews of soundtracks for movies they haven't seen.  I'm not saying they should never do it, just that it's a little iffy I guess.

 

I'm not even inclined to like the BvS soundtrack, but I've seen some formally published reviews slamming it brutally and it's just weird to me to make harsh judgments like that out of context.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Artistic criticism should be abolished anyway. 

 

Wait, what?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0