• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sharky

Hans Zimmer and Tom Holkenborg's Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

193 posts in this topic

It'd be handy if the booklet stated who composed what in this soundtrack.

At least the Avengers: Age of Ultron CD was convenient in providing that information.

Disco Stu likes this

People have been going off the assumption that Holkenborg handled all Batman material and Zimmer everything else. I'm not sure how accurate that is but I agree the credits should be a lot more clear.

But do you expect the same clarity from a Floyd album's credits as to who wrote what?  That kind of thing can be hard to quantify when you're all jamming with the same material. 

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

People have been going off the assumption that Holkenborg handled all Batman material and Zimmer everything else. I'm not sure how accurate that is but I agree the credits should be a lot more clear.

It's not an assumption. Hans said it himself when he announced that he was scoring the film years ago. 

1 hour ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

But do you expect the same clarity from a Floyd album's credits as to who wrote what?  That kind of thing can be hard to quantify when you're all jamming with the same material. 

This is true. Age of Ultron could credit like that because the composers worked completely separately from each other.  This one was clearly more collaborative.

2 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

It's not an assumption. Hans said it himself when he announced that he was scoring the film years ago. 

Ah, I didn't know that was official.

And why is this soundtrack so frightening? If I didn't know it was a score to a superhero movie, I'd have thought it was music from a horror movie.

Matt C likes this

Batman vs Superman vs people who know good film music vs Hanz Zimmer fanz.

When it comes to these DC Comics movies, it seems you have to be either Hans Zimmer, James Newton Howard or someone connected with them in order to do the music. I'm sick of this shit.

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

And in a recent interview he confirmed that that was no longer the case. They collaborated on it.

3 hours ago, Drax said:

But my DSOTM album does day who wrote what in the tracklist.

Sure, but if Gilmour writes a tune and some chords and maybe a riff, it's still up to the rest to actually make some music out of it.  They're not playing from scores, it's a jam. 

15 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

The score or the Batman material? I'm sure Holkenborg worked on all aspects of the music.

The Batman material.

Around 3:55

Certainly better than wasting time complaining about something you were never gonna like in the first place. 

Don't be a Joey, ET!  You're better than that. 

4 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Sure, but if Gilmour writes a tune and some chords and maybe a riff, it's still up to the rest to actually make some music out of it.  They're not playing from scores, it's a jam. 

So are we talking about film scores or old bands jamming now? I'm confused.

3 hours ago, Sharky said:

ElPelegrinoGris!

lol.png

That's actually Brazilian Portuguese, not Spanish

22 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

We're talking about film scores that are produced by bands jamming.

So Hands Zimmer is a band?

22 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

We're talking about film scores that are produced by bands jamming.

So Hands Zimmer is a band?

FFS, all this superiority. I just want to know who wrote what!

FFS, all this superiority. I just want to know who wrote what!

Came back from the film now. The first 2/3rds are quite good, the last third is rather poor -- interchangeable with any given Marvel extravaganza of the last decade. Throughout the film, there are weaknesses and strenghts. The strenghts are where Snyder is allowed room to really do his stuff -- like the gorgeous dream sequences. The weaknesses are in predictable plotting, over-acting by Jesse Eisenberg and some of the run-of-mill, grating 'noise' (both visually and aurally).

Unlike most others, I like several elements in the score -- especially the references to MAN OF STEEL, the guitar stuff for Wonder Woman and the SHERLOCK HOLMES-like theme for Lex Luthor, which pans out as the chord progressions underlying a slow 90s power anthem. Also some of the Wagnerian choral music is fine. But the intense drumming was done much better in MAD MAX and the onslaught of action music is also "standard" and nothing to write home about.

Overall, a very uneven experience. 3 out of 6.

PROMETHEUS was fantastic; the best film that year. So yeah -- a far cry from that.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

PROMETHEUS was fantastic; the best film that year.

LOL