10 CLOVERFIELD LANE-Bear McCreary

buysoundtrax

21 minutes ago, buysoundtrax said:

Has a lot of issues.

Oh come on, if you start a post with my name in fat bolded text centered above, then you clearly have something you need to get of you chest!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the review Karol. Which reminds me that I need to take a listen to the score.

It's one that really wormed it's way into my regular rotation and still won't let go.  It probably helps that I loved the movie so much (my definite favorite of 2016 so far).

• 3 months later...

I listened to this OST again today and liked it quite a bit.  One of the best opening tracks on a film score album in a while!  Really hooks you in (it was very effective in the movie as well).

Has anybody compared the album to the film to see how much unreleased music there might be, or if anything on album wasn't used in the film?

I checked

nearly everything important was released

all we are missing is a few 10-15 second inserts (which may be drawn from other tracks anyway)

and about 90 seconds during the Hazmat making scene which replaces part of the album Hazmat track

Just seen the film tonight finally! Never got to see it in theatres. Enjoyed it hugely. McCreary's Score was very effective and threatening. I thought the film was 100% perfect, with absolutely nothing wrong with it, up until the ending. I thought it was easily strong enough on its own without any connection to Cloverfield. It wasn't needed at all. It's a shame that they didn't go with the original concept for the ending, before they changed it to fit into the spirit of a semi Cloverfield sequel. The performances were unbelievable though. Winstead and Goodman were bloody brilliant. And like I said, a completely perfect film in my eyes up until that ending. But even though I disagreed with the ending, I still enjoyed the last 10 minutes well enough and would give the film a solid 9/10. 

She left the bunker, was pursued by Goodman, and she shoots him in the leg. He lies there immobile and tells her about how he lost his wife and daughter, and it sheds some light on why he was so protective of Winstead. She takes the car and leaves, still with her gas mask on because she doesn't know what to believe. She drives through the night, and she sees a bright light over the brow of a hill, it is Chicago. She sees Chicago faintly in the distance and it is seemingly been attacked and is decimated. The final shot is her taking her gas mask off.

Hmm, how is that less of a Cloverfield sequel than what we have now? Either way, the connection isn't explicit.

Was that ending shot or only written?

47 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Just seen the film tonight finally! Never got to see it in theatres. Enjoyed it hugely. McCreary's Score was very effective and threatening. I thought the film was 100% perfect, with absolutely nothing wrong with it, up until the ending. I thought it was easily strong enough on its own without any connection to Cloverfield. It wasn't needed at all. It's a shame that they didn't go with the original concept for the ending, before they changed it to fit into the spirit of a semi Cloverfield sequel. The performances were unbelievable though. Winstead and Goodman were bloody brilliant. And like I said, a completely perfect film in my eyes up until that ending. But even though I disagreed with the ending, I still enjoyed the last 10 minutes well enough and would give the film a solid 9/10. 

Yes!  This film is brilliant.  Goodman deserves a Supporting Actor nom!!

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Hmm, how is that less of a Cloverfield sequel than what we have now? Either way, the connection isn't explicit.

Was that ending shot or only written?

Because the original ending was completely open. It doesn't reveal whether it is aliens or just a disaster or just an attack on Chicago, etc. Having a city looking destroyed doesn't mean aliens. I just felt that the big confrontation was unnecessary and robbed the film slightly of the incredible job it did up to that point to make you uncertain and unnerved.

I haven't heard much about whether it was shot. I just read an interview with the director. I think he implied it was all planned, but changed when they wanted a Cloverfield connection, which in the end they didn't really anyway, so apart from a marketing tool, calling it a cloverfield spiritual sequel was a lie and robbed the film of its brilliance as a completely stand alone subject.

The problem with connecting it to Cloverfield is that it either means it takes place around the same time as that film, which makes no sense because that film was a pre-Smart Phone world and in Cloverfield Lane she had a modern iPhone, or set it 8 years later since that's when it came out, but no one seems to talk about the giant monster that attacked NYC 8 years ago... I dunno.

The score is quite impressive.

Has anyone here listened to Bear's scores to "The Forest" or "The Boy"?

My physical copy is packed away in the basement somewhere.  I've just listened on Spotify so far

I've not heard his latest horror scores, but am looking forward to 'Animal Cracker,' which is apparently an animated film he's doing for next year. It'll be welcomed to finally hear him tackle a much lighter and more colourful subject matter, instead of the mostly dark stuff he scores for.

I hope he explodes onto the film scene asap and everyone wants to snap him up. He deserves enormous success in film, as he has been achieving in tv. Who else has written something as extraordinary and ground-breaking as Battlestar in their early 20's? Most composers don't even reach that level in their entire careers and those that do so had been composing for decades and are in their 40's/50's at the time.

3 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

I've not heard his latest horror scores, but am looking forward to 'Animal Cracker,' which is apparently an animated film he's doing for next year. It'll be welcomed to finally hear him tackle a much lighter and more colourful subject matter, instead of the mostly dark stuff he scores for.

Ditto, can't wait!

4 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Who else has written something as extraordinary and ground-breaking as Battlestar in their early 20's? Most composers don't even reach that level in their entire careers and those that do so had been composing for decades and are in their 40's/50's at the time.

Oh come now, BSG's score is great, but its not THAT great.

I never found anything to like with  album I listened to on youtube.

I never found anything to like with the LOST album I listened to on youtube.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to a taping of the excellent podcast Doug Loves Movies in LA last night and Dan Trachtenberg, writer/director of 10 Cloverfield Lane, was one of the guests.  He was a genial presence on stage, obviously not as entertaining as the comedians.  Unsurprisingly, he was very good at the movie trivia games.  He talked a bit about directing an episode of Black Mirror but didn't give anything away.

He's second from the left (next to Doug), wearing a "Cannibal Airlines" t-shirt, which was a fake VHS movie featured in 10 Cloverfield Lane.

IMAG0256.jpg

Heh, I listen to that podcast, downloaded that ep this morning buthavent heard it yet.

That reminds me, I was listening to it sometime within the past year ish, and heard some guest talk about something interesting / relevant / newsworthy about something that I was gonna post here, but now I forget what it was :P

They play Robin Williams for Last Man Stanton.  In the part where the audience tells the guests what they missed, if you hear someone yell out The World According to Garp and Fisher King loudly a couple of times, that's me!

EDIT: I just skipped to that part of the recording and confirmed you can hear me loudly and clearly yell out Garp :D

• 3 months later...