The Time I (almost) Met John Williams

BernieTheDog

So I thought that I would share this story with everyone about the time I almost meet John Williams. I have always wanted to meet John Williams.(and I'm sure a lot of people here on this site would like to as well) And seem to never be able to catch him at his performances. Yes, I know that there is an address that I can use to mail to him. But that wouldn't be the same as meet Mr.Williams in person. I had to do a lot of interneting but I found my golden ticket. Now finding him was all figured out. The main reason I had this idea to find him was because I was going to California for Spring Break, and Mr Williams just so happens to live in Los Angeles. After sitting 2 hours in traffic the big moment had arrived. I pulled up next to his house, got out, and walked up to the door. With me was a letter and a copy of The Force Awakens I was hoping he would sign. I pushed the door bell and waited about five minutes. When the door finally opened a sweet little old lady opened the door just enough so she could see me.(as we talked she opened the door gradually) She eventually told me that Mr.Williams was at his house in Santa Barbra and that she could not give him my letter. So I was very bummed that I didn't meet him. But I kind of knew that in the back of my mind. But I got to go to his house, and that's probably the only Star Tour I would want to go on.   *picture is of Mr.Williams house*

IMG_4227.jpeg

Wow. Certainly took guts to do something like that. I would never have dared it (nor really wanted to) -- I would rather try to arrange an interview through his entourage/agent/assistant. But knowing how impossible that is these days, perhaps the only hope is borderline 'intrusions' like this. 

At least you got an adventure out of it and something to tell your grandchildren. Thanks for sharing!

Please post his address!

5 minutes ago, Richard said:

That's JW's house? Aren't you infringing some sort of privacy rules?

Richard, please let the Moderators do the moderating. If you think any of the rules were broken send a PM to Jason, Inky or Andreas and they will deal with it.

Actually, I remember there was a thread awhile back about Williams' LA address (which I believe is available to the public through some registry). So someone (not me!) used Google Earth to get the picture in the first post. I remember that picture.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

That's JW's house? Aren't you infringing some sort of privacy rules? Are you that desperate to meet him? What are you, 10 years old?

14 actually, so yeah....

Seriously, and no disrespect intended, that was a creepy thing to do. At least, I know that would have made me pretty uncomfortable, were I John Williams. You all remember the guy who broke into Spielberg's house?

Yeah, I mean, I might have done the lookyloo thing and driven past his house once or twice, since I used to live near there, but actually going up to his door...way too far. Let's give the man his privacy.

15 hours ago, Stefancos said:

image.jpeg

That's Robin Williams not John Williams!

7 minutes ago, crumbs said:

"Joanne Williams."

A distant Irish cousin who does a bit of light housework and cooking around JW's place.

Im sure Williams has security guard at his place. I Think Ive seen his house on Google Map. [LOL] Not sure if its the same or the one at Santa Barbara. But 3 years ago i approached his agency at GSA for autographed pictures and simultaneously sent the same request  for sign off at multiple address such as his office rep at Dreamworks, and one marked to his home address. I got All the three items responded. 2 were signed and routed to me via Jamie Richardson (GSA) and the other was routed back via Boston Pops..So I have these 3 different autographed pictures and with one dedicated by name to me. So I guess that is enough for a lifetime. But it sure DOESNT beat 'meeting him in person' That's a privilege for the chosen ones only. 

I would certainly hope he hired security; it's not like he can't afford it.

But in this day and age you can never be too careful. I was really put off by that video of Morricone being hounded at the airport; all he appeared to have was family and airport security to protect him.

5 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I was really put off by that video of Morricone being hounded at the airport; all he appeared to have was family and airport security to protect him.

That was really repugnant, to see autograph hunters gather around him as carrion fowl to a fresh cadaver!

• 11 months later...

I thought this would be an OK thread to mention this.

So I was just thinking recently about how, even though I rarely think about it, Williams must be filthy rich by this point (and probably has been for a while). I assume he's making several million a year most years, based on the limited info available about high profile composer salaries. 

Anyway, I was just thinking about his house and how it seems rather modest for a man of his means. However, this thread seems to indicate that he has at least two houses. Also, I don't know LA well and his house pictured in this thread might be in a really expensive area, I don't know. So he might actually be spending tons of money on houses.

Didn't I also read once about him taking a limo to Symphony Center in Boston?

Maybe he's a member of a really exclusive golf course too. 

Maybe he subscribes to a really expensive tree magazine. ;)

Anyway, to continue our mission of JW stalking, do we have any info to suggest that JW lives or lived A) a very expensive lifestyle or B) lives a somewhat modest - although, obviously, quite comfortable! - lifestyle?

6 hours ago, Will said:

Anyway, I was just thinking about his house and how it seems rather modest for a man of his means. However, this thread seems to indicate that he has at least two houses. Also, I don't know LA well and his house pictured in this thread might be in a really expensive area, I don't know. So he might actually be spending tons of money on houses.

Williams has several houses. I think I've heard the mention of at least 3 or 4 different ones over the years (LA, New York, Boston and one up in the Berkshire mountains). The LA one seems to have been his main house for decades. It's in the same general area he's lived since his adolescent years (Glendale/Westwood).

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Williams has several houses. I think I've heard the mention of at least 3 or 4 different ones over the years (LA, New York, Boston and one up in the Berkshire mountains). The LA one seems to have been his main house for decades. It's in the same general area he's lived since his adolescent years (Glendale/Westwood).

Also has/had one in Telluride, I recall from an oldish interview. Up in the mountains somewhere.

1 hour ago, LampPost said:

Also has/had one in Telluride, I recall from an oldish interview. Up in the mountains somewhere.

That's actually something his wife built. She also built one in Santa Fe (not she, personally, but you know what I mean). So combined, I guess you could say they have some 6-7 houses!

59 minutes ago, Thor said:

That's actually something his wife built. She also built one in Santa Fe (not she, personally, but you know what I mean). So combined, I guess you could say they have some 6-7 houses!

When you say "his wife," do you mean Samantha Winslow or Barbara Ruick?

In other news, I just realized from some quick research that I'd been thinking Williams' daughter was his wife. Hmm. His wife doesn't appear in public anymore, does she?

2 hours ago, LampPost said:

That's probably where he went to write the Starkiller Base music. And then he went back to LA or Sante Fe for Jakku, before heading to Tanglewood for Takodana. ;)

Wow, anyway, sounds like he does indeed make good use of his vast fortune! I assume besides houses he must also be a member of a nice LA golf course. 

@Thor, I never realized he had houses in Massachusetts. I always figured he just stayed in a hotel or something!

Here's a question: Sometimes he talks about writing music at Tanglewood. Where would he do this? Is his Berkshires house right in Lenox? Is there some special lodge for important guests? 

It's rather funny how with many celebrities their houses are covered to death, but with Williams we only know stuff vaguely, and the general public would probably get the impression that Williams isn't even rich at all. 

1 hour ago, Will said:

When you say "his wife," do you mean Samantha Winslow or Barbara Ruick?

Samantha.

In other news, I just realized from some quick research that I'd been thinking Williams' daughter was his wife. Hmm. His wife doesn't appear in public anymore, does she?

No, very rarely.  She never appeared much to begin with. It's his daughter Jennifer who has been his accompaniment for most of the events. 

, I never realized he had houses in Massachusetts. I always figured he just stayed in a hotel or something!

Here's a question: Sometimes he talks about writing music at Tanglewood. Where would he do this? Is his Berkshires house right in Lenox? Is there some special lodge for important guests? 

I'm guessing both. He's accomodated near Lenox for the concerts, but then he might make an extended stay out of it and buzz up to his mountain cabin/house for a few extra days.

On 20.2.2017 at 4:08 AM, Will said:

Maybe he's a member of a really exclusive golf course too.

Perhaps he OWNS the golf course.

One thing he doesn't own for sure is a transatlantic airline.

2 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Perhaps he OWNS the golf course.

One thing he doesn't own for sure is a transatlantic airline.

That's what YOU think:

https://airlinepilotgateway.com/author/john-williams/

I love how the ubiquitous name 'John Williams' can be used for anything. ;)