How many of you have already played JW music in an orchestra?

Gurkensalat

I am just curious, because yesterday I had the chance to actually participated in a first rehearsal of Superman March, Olympic Fanfare, Flying Theme and Jurassic Park Theme. It was great, but man, those parts are difficult to play!! I see some study time ahead over Easter...

Wish I'd played an instrument properly, but alas....would have been fun to play JW -- if only in a marching band or whatever.

Is the crying flautist in that picture desperately trying to perform The Mine Car Chase and failing miserably with the tricky flurries of notes?

No. The crying piccolo girl's basketball team lost a tournament game last March. She's not playing anything remotely difficult at the moment. But the media exposure did make her a short-lived meme and get her on Jimmy Fallon's show. 

I have played some. French horn is the instrument, naturally.

The Cowboys Overture, Jaws theme, Excerpts from CE3K, Main title+ Princess Leia+ Throne Room from SW, Superman March, 1941, Raiders March, Imperial March, E.T., Home Alone suite, Three pieces from Schindler's List, Anakin's theme, Scorserer's Stone suite, Fanfare for Fenway, Tuba Concerto.

I probably missed some...

I have played a variety of his pieces. But in concert band we played Duel of the Fates which was really hard once we brought it up to tempo. This being said I was fairly new to the trumpet at this time.But it sounded awesome. I also have a few books of his work that are fun to play in some down time. 

A few years ago i played some pieces from Phantom Menace on the viola, which was not too difficult. But now in the 1st violin some passages are extreme, e.g. the fast scales in Superman march or the very high notes in Flying theme.

7 hours ago, loert423 said:

I wish. :(

But I have an evil plan, which is to become conductor of my local school symphony orchestra, and make them learn "The Mine Car Chase" from Temple of Doom. Mwahahaha!!! 

Im0IQKi.jpg

is that the young flutist who cried playing the concert premiere of Warhorse? 

A Harry Potter suite, the Jurassic Park Theme and Olympic Fanfare and Theme. The first two ones didn't have great arrangements though...and regretfully our conductor at the time wasn't much of a Williams fan.

I was lucky enough to play some. Trumpet is my instrument. Over the years my orchestra played the Signature versions of Adventures on Earth, The Cowboys, Superman March and the Star Wars suite. Next year we'll be performing the suite from TFA at a sci fi concert, then later in the season adventures on earth and SW suite again. Part of a space concert with astronaut Chris Hadfield. He'll play his stuff as well, and surely Bowie's Space oddity. On that concert we'll be playing a suite from Apollo 13. Looking forward to perform the trumpet solo. 

Also played arrangements of HP, JP, Jaws and Olympic fanfare. Probably forgetting some. 

I played suites from Empire Strikes Back and Jurassic Park in high school orchestra. I played viola, the red headed step child of the string section. 

Olympic fanfare and theme, Harry Potter suite, swing swing swing (in jazz band), Cowboys overture, summon the heroes, and a suite of JW music including Star Wars main title, Cadillac of the skies, jaws theme and Fhe Land Race.  

20 hours ago, ricsim88 said:

I was lucky enough to play some. Trumpet is my instrument. Over the years my orchestra played the Signature versions of Adventures on Earth, The Cowboys, Superman March and the Star Wars suite. Next year we'll be performing the suite from TFA at a sci fi concert, then later in the season adventures on earth and SW suite again. Part of a space concert with astronaut Chris Hadfield. He'll play his stuff as well, and surely Bowie's Space oddity. On that concert we'll be playing a suite from Apollo 13. Looking forward to perform the trumpet solo. 

Also played arrangements of HP, JP, Jaws and Olympic fanfare. Probably forgetting some. 

May I ask which orchestra are playing with?

Played the signature edition of the Raiders March once, in an orchestra that I auditioned for with Schindler's List. Had a lot of string arrangements of the classics (SW, JP, etc.) in high school as well and made my own, but I'll hang on to that performance of signature Raiders for the rest of my life! :)

5 hours ago, ricsim88 said:

I play principal trumpet with Symphony Nova Scotia in Halifax, Canada

https://symphonynovascotia.ca

That's cool.

I've actually visited to your beatiful city in 1997. ;)

p.s. I think I have seen the picture of you before, maybe it once was your profile picture...

I forgot the mention that we played the Signature edition versions. As far as I know they are the "original" versions by Williams, no adaptations. Might explain the technical difficulties.

On March 21, 2016 at 2:57 AM, hornist said:

That's cool.

I've actually visited to your beatiful city in 1997. ;)

p.s. I think I have seen the picture of you before, maybe it once was your profile picture...

Very nice. What brought you to Halifax? In 1997 I was either finishing my first season or starting my 2nd. Finishing 20th in 6 weeks. Time flies. 

• 3 weeks later...

Back from rehearsal weekend. Doesn´t sound bad at all after some work. Even the devillish scales in Superman and the fast violin passage in the middle section of the Olympic fanfare start to look manageable now.

I've played the signature edition of the Raiders March on oboe, I did the piano/oboe arrangement of the The Days Between (From Stepmom), and a few educational arrangements of some other standard works (Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Imperial March, etc.).

By far the best group I played with that did film music in that same style was a suite of themes from "The Sea Hawk" by Korngold. Not Williams, but very similar... Just amazing being with an orchestra that can keep up with with the rep.

On 17/3/2016 at 3:52 PM, hornist said:

I have played some. French horn is the instrument, naturally.

The Cowboys Overture, Jaws theme, Excerpts from CE3K, Main title+ Princess Leia+ Throne Room from SW, Superman March, 1941, Raiders March, Imperial March, E.T., Home Alone suite, Three pieces from Schindler's List, Anakin's theme, Scorserer's Stone suite, Fanfare for Fenway, Tuba Concerto.

I probably missed some...

Wow I pretty much have the same list !

Just never played the Fanfare for Fenway and Tuba Concerto