Williams attends performance of his 'Violin Concerto' in Boston

Ricard

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the end, however, Williams’s work seemed like highly inventive music that didn’t stray too far from its models, like a violin concerto composed for a movie about a violinist.
Having read in the program notes that the idea to write this piece had come from the composer’s wife, and that she had died unexpectedly that same year, one listened for reverberations of this life-altering event in the music. If they were there, they were buried too deep to hear.

Blume!  Someone, anyone, restore some sense to the world!

I wonder what such an experience must be like for Williams? Is he able to enjoy such an event solely listening to his own music or does he sit there thinking about things he should have tweaked or altered when writing the piece? 

That review is such bullshit.  "highly inventive" yet conservative.  and, dear Lord, the part about his late wife?  None of it should be dignified with a response--although insults are okay.

What's he doing in Boston???? Shouldn't he be writing theme songs for the next couple of Star Wars, Indy and Spielberg films??? :/// Hurry up, they can just edit the music to the scenes afterwards

"While I enjoyed the last movement, I did have a thought that it went on a little too long for what it had to say—in one of the slower passages, I suddenly asked myself if it was another slow movement (I’ll return to this thought below). But it eventually hurtled to a determined and exciting conclusion."

from the clip that was posted on the BSO facebook page, they played the last movement painfully slow, I can see why this guy was confused. It's too bad because this guy will probably only hear it once

Boston Pops laureate conductor John Williams was at Symphony Hall on Friday to hear his Violin Concerto performed by Gil Shaham . The performance, conducted by Stéphane Denève , was part of the BSO’s Casual Friday Series, which allowed for casual attire, included post-concert receptions, and featured low ticket prices. There were three Casual Friday shows from January to March. Williams, who sported a tie to the event, took a stage bow after the audience heard his piece.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/names/2016/03/20/pops-visit-john-williams-shows-more-than-casual-interest/PmHkkmlq6dOCrN6nNLPzhK/story.html

Violinist Gil Shaham with Boston Pops Laureate Conductor John Williams and conductor Stéphane Denève (Hilary Scott).jpg