Favorite Golden Age Composer? (Poll)

Disco Stu

Favorite Golden Age Composer? (Poll)  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Who among these choices is your favorite composer from Hollywood's Golden Age?

• Bernard Herrmann
    • Erich Wolfgang Korngold
    • Alfred Newman
    • Alex North
    • Miklós Rózsa
    • Max Steiner
    • Dimitri Tiomkin
    • Franz Waxman
    • Victor Young

I was listening to a few soundtracks from the 40s this morning and thought I'd put this poll up for some fun.

Apologies if your favorite composer from the 1930s - 1950s is not listed.

It was a tough choice between Benny, Erich, Franz and Miklós but I had to go with Miklós in the end. My appreciation for his music and talent has rapidly grown in the past few years as the more I listen the more impressed I am.

I had a hard time picking between Bernard Herrmann and Dimitri Tiomkin.  Herrmann is probably my favorite film composer ever after Williams, but I adore Tiomkin's scores for Westerns.  I came this close to putting Richard Hageman on the list simply for his 4 or 5 classic scores for John Ford Westerns.

I ultimately went with Tiomkin because my favorite Herrmann scores I'd consider "Silver" age, being from the late-1950s onward (basically Vertigo and after).

1 minute ago, Sharky said:

North's more of a Silver Age composer, since his film debut was in 51 with Streetcar. 

Yeah he's definitely one of those that straddles that invisible border.  I decided to put him on there because I figured people might yell at me if I didn't :P

16 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I knew it!

That's nice!

Sometimes I feel like the only one here who doesn't listen to any golden age scores at all.

Out of all the guys in the list, I only own a score from Alex North (Dragonslayer) and that's from the 80s. Is he considered a golden age composer?

Hermann because he did Psycho which is a score I'm aware of and like (although the version I own is from 1998).  The only Golden Age score I own is FSM's Ben Hur, and I don't really care too much for it TBH.  I bought it out of a sense of history tied with the urgency of the very quick sell-out.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Sometimes I feel like the only one here who doesn't listen to any golden age scores at all.

Out of all the guys in the list, I only own a score from Alex North (Dragonslayer) and that's from the 80s. Is he considered a golden age composer?

He's really more Silver Age (as noted above in this thread), but A Streetcar Named Desire is one of his most celebrated, and one of the most celebrated scores ever, and it falls in to that Golden Age timeline (which I think is usually considered 1930-1955 or so)

I pretty much adore all of them, but I would rank Rósza and Waxman first in terms of enjoyability, with  Herrmann and North right next, which strike as slightly more intelectual composers

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Why not? You're missing out a great deal of the greatest movie music ever written

Eh, maybe someday I'll have time to check it out. In the meantime I am still discovering scores from the 80s till today for the first time.

I'll list my favorite Golden Age (1930-1955) score from each of the composers on the poll:

Herrmann - The Day the Earth Stood Still

Korngold - The Adventures of Robin Hood

Newman - The Robe

North - A Streetcar Named Desire

Rozsa - Spellbound

Steiner - King Kong

Tiomkin - Red River

Waxman - Sunset Blvd.

Young - Samson and Delilah

It is really very difficult for me to pick a favourite from this list, as they were all such wonderful film composers.  I've been lucky enough to hear the music of most of these guys played in concert quite a lot over the last few years and it never ceases to impress me.  Victor Young wrote such lovely melodies and is the only one on the list who does not always get the attention he deserves, so I'm going to go with him today to be nice.

I would also probably have stuck Hugo Friedhofer on the list as another option.  Not only did he contribute so much to the sound of Steiner, Korngold, Waxman and others through his orchestrations, he was also a fantastic composer in his own right.  Check out the wonderful Coplandesque The Best Years of Our Lives if you have not heard it before; it is surely one of the finest film scores ever written.

Benny is more a Golden Age composer than North was, but he never really played by the rules of that era.

I wouldn't really count North in this age. If Bernie was included, it'd be between him and Rozsa. But in the end, I'd probably go with Rozsa.

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

He's really more Silver Age (as noted above in this thread), but A Streetcar Named Desire is one of his most celebrated, and one of the most celebrated scores ever, and it falls in to that Golden Age timeline (which I think is usually considered 1930-1955 or so)

Chronologically it's Golden Age, but I think of it as one of those seminal Silver Age scores, like The Man With The Golden Arm, The Best Years of Our Lives, East of Eden/Rebel, The Cobweb that brought modernism, Americana and/or jazz into the lexicon of film music.

12 minutes ago, Sharky said:

Chronologically it's Golden Age, but I think of it as one of those seminal Silver Age scores, like The Man With The Golden Arm, The Best Years of Our Lives, East of Eden/Rebel, The Cobweb that brought modernism, Americana and/or jazz into the lexicon of film music.

Yeah I think I agree. "Proto" Silver Age.  North was the Iggy Pop to Jerry Goldsmith's Ramones ;)

On 21.3.2016 at 1:15 AM, Sharky said:

Yes it was one of those watershed works that ushered a new style to the American film music lexicon, which soon caught on in a big way for a while as it is typical for Hollywood but also pushed film music a nudge forward to new directions.

He is but a lot of his more serious stuff (especially when it gets harmonically more adventurous) actively pursues me to hit the Stop button. Even if i recognize its brilliance i can only take it in small doses (in both SPARTACUS and CLEOPATRA the old and somewhat tinny sound is an additional and major turn-off).

See I can eat that stuff up all day, but what you describe is sort of my experience with Rosenman as was discussed recently.

And there's a conspicuous absence from this discussion, this mystical gentleman who can be associated with this period if Herrmann and North can.

590092.jpg

At the moment Tiomkin, I've listened to more of his stuff than others listed but I've appreciation of all mentioned for various bits and bobs. The first thing I knew Tiomkin for was Guns of Navarone and that's a favourite, The High and the Mighty as well. Alfred Newman I first heard for Airport which, well, feels wrong.

17 hours ago, hornist said:

Herrmann. Only one I care a little of this bronanza.

Good heavens Pasi! Go and explore these wonderful composers!

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, Fabulin said:

2. Rózsa wins in the "total amount of A+ music" for me... But something very dated rings in his scores and that puts me off... The King of Kings would be my favorite here, although some selections from Ben Hur are also S for superb.

Funny, as I feel Rozsa was a bit ahead of his time in some ways.

The recordings are what is dated sometimes, not the music.  Unless the whole romanesque writing can be called dated.  Rozsa did not chase trends.  I find his writing timeless.

Now Waxman, he could be ahead of his time.  The Spirit Of St.Louis is extraordinarily fresh, for example.