Fanfare for Festive Occasion played by Boston Civic Orchestra Sunday April 10th

Wow, cool! Williams already wrote "Fanfare for a Festive Occasion" for the Boston Civic Orchestra, but while I know the Boston Pops mainly consists of players from the Boston Symphony, I've never been quite sure how the Civic orchestra plays into all of this.

9 hours ago, Quintus said:

Honda and John Williams. Didn't see that coming. 

Ha! :)

But there is actually a precedent. Danny Elfman wrote music for Honda back in the 90s. Not specifically the Civic, though.

I'm starting to think if this piece is indeed the "Fanfare for a Festive Occasion" renamed, as the info above says nothing about whether or not this is a NEW piece.

26 minutes ago, Thor said:

I'm starting to think if this piece is indeed the "Fanfare for a Festive Occasion" renamed, as the info above says nothing about whether or not this is a NEW piece.

...written especially for this orchestra...

1 hour ago, Michael said:

...written especially for this orchestra...

Yes, but so was "Fanfare for a Festive Occasion".

5 hours ago, Thor said:

Wow, cool! Williams already wrote "Fanfare for a Festive Occasion" for the Boston Civic Orchestra, but while I know the Boston Pops mainly consists of players from the Boston Symphony, I've never been quite sure how the Civic orchestra plays into all of this.

It is a training orchestra.  Training orchestras can be quite good and JW has a long history with various civic orchestras.  A training orchestra did his concert premiere of war horse suite with him conducting.

1 hour ago, karelm said:

It is a training orchestra.  Training orchestras can be quite good and JW has a long history with various civic orchestras.  A training orchestra did his concert premiere of war horse suite with him conducting.

Ah, thanks! A sort of 'recruitment ground', then...

Ah thank you for the info! :)

Another new fanfare from the Maestro is always welcome. Hopefully we might get a recording of this sooner rather than later.

6 hours ago, Thor said:

Now that you say it... yes, it looks like that may be the case. I'd wait for more details to come out before considering it a new Williams piece.

12 minutes ago, Ricard said:

Now that you say it... yes, it looks like that may be the case. I'd wait for more details to come out before considering it a new Williams piece.

Yup it actually is more than likely this is just Fanfare for A Festive Occasion, just under another title.

If it is the FfaFO, it is good that they are performing it.  It was one of Williams most fun compositions--it deserves more performances.  And, while we are at it, a proper recording.  The Monsignor piece is close, but the fanfare is not identical to it. 

1 hour ago, Tom said:

The Monsignor piece is close, but the fanfare is not identical to it. 

Are you referring to the one used in 'The Meeting in Sicily" and "Reunion in Italy"? That theme originated from Esplanade Overture, written around that time, but not the same :)

Man, I am way off, aren't I.  Yes, I was thinking of the Esplanade Overture.  I'll go track down the festive occasion piece.  I must have heard it already, but it is not coming to mind.  How many orchestras does Boston have? 

5 hours ago, Tom said:

If it is the FfaFO, it is good that they are performing it.  It was one of Williams most fun compositions--it deserves more performances.  And, while we are at it, a proper recording.  The Monsignor piece is close, but the fanfare is not identical to it. 

It has a proper recording, by the Bay Brass, on Harmonia Mundi.

8 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

It has a proper recording, by the Bay Brass, on Harmonia Mundi.

I was confusing the Festive Occasion piece with the Esplanade Overture. 

23 hours ago, Thor said:

Ah, thanks! A sort of 'recruitment ground', then...

Sort of.  It doesn't really work that way with a straight forward career advancement.  It is more like the members are highly trained with a performance degree but there are many more performers than there are opportunities, so an orchestra exists for them to continue playing and honing their skills since these skills get stale very quickly if not used frequently.  This in turn positions them better for future auditions when those opportunities arise. 

Is this not similar in Europe?

Yeah probably, but I'm not knowledgeable enough about orchestra set-ups over here. So what does 'civic' mean in this context? That the orchestra consists of 'civilians', meaning 'amateurs' who don't have a paying job as a musician?

4 hours ago, Thor said:

Yeah probably, but I'm not knowledgeable enough about orchestra set-ups over here. So what does 'civic' mean in this context? That the orchestra consists of 'civilians', meaning 'amateurs' who don't have a paying job as a musician?

Civic technically means city so it is from or supported by the city or local municipality to help manage costs.  The musicians are probably paid a minimal fee that is not near enough to make a living.  But the group might then get a famous person (eg: John Williams) and perform at expensive venues so they have quite a bit of costs so there are many fees to be paid.  Meanwhile, the concerts are usually free so there are high costs and low revenue so the city supports the group as a good local cause.  Then there are community/amateur orchestras.  In Los Angeles, there are over 130 orchestras.  Almost all are community and amateur and some quite good.  About 10 are youth orchestras (again ranging from very skilled and exclusive to those that are just for kids to have an activity or introduction to music), 2 or 3 are training orchestras, and 2 professional orchestras (LA Philharmonic and Pacific Symphony).  An Amateur orchestra (or community orchestra) is made up of local residents (so a cross sampling of some retired, some hobbyists who always wanted to play something, some brand new, some kids, some semi-pro, etc.) who would meet whatever the minimum audition requirement of the orchestra might be.  Again, some are quite good, some are abysmal but fulfill their intention ("we play just for fun and know we suck" for example).  The difference with an amateur orchestra is the mission is more for fellowship and fun than for artistry, professional development, profit, etc.

2 hours ago, king mark said:

I think it's a new piece. Why would they take an old fanfare and rename it?

It wouldn't be the first time that Williams renames a concert work:

To Lenny!, To Lenny! --> For New York

Fanfare for Prince Philip -- > Aloft… To the Royal Masthead

Satellite Celebration --> Song for World Peace (reworked)

The Unfinished Journey -->  Celebration 2000 --> American Journey

On 26/03/2016 at 0:55 AM, Ricard said:

Fanfare for Prince Philip -- > Aloft… To the Royal Masthead

Was that the title during the Pops season? Because, shortly after, at Tanglewood, it was already called "Aloft.. To the Royal Masthead".

I remember a Richard Dyer article mentioning the coming of the new piece, and just saying it was dedicated to Prince Philip's visit, but at the time still unnamed...

32 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Was that the title during the Pops season? Because, shortly after, at Tanglewood, it was already called "Aloft.. To the Royal Masthead".

I remember a Richard Dyer article mentioning the coming of the new piece, and just saying it was dedicated to Prince Philip's visit, but at the time still unnamed...

In either case, it made sense to rename the piece, as no one would remember or understand the reference to the Prince Philip visit to Boston all those years ago. I wonder WHERE the piece was played? At some tribute concert? As Philip landed on Logan airport? :)

Thanks, I did not get that it's possibly the same work.

I guess we'll have to wait the review of the concert then...

25 minutes ago, pete said:

I just emailed the orchestra and asked the million dollar question!

Tell Them we don't have time for that.  We have a discography to maintain. Do they think it's funny to do such things?

I'm disgusted.

The good news is I got a lovely reply. The less good news is it's not a new piece. At least I can excite myself by changing the pieces name on iTunes:

This work was first performed on November 14, 1980 by the Boston Civic Symphony, conducted by Music Director, Max Hobart; again on May 8, 1983 by the composer, John Williams; and most recently on April 17, 1994, by Max Hobart. It is scored for quadruple brass and percussion.

10 minutes ago, pete said:

The good news is I got a lovely reply. The less good news is it's not a new piece. At least I can excite myself by changing the pieces name on iTunes:

This work was first performed on November 14, 1980 by the Boston Civic Symphony, conducted by Music Director, Max Hobart; again on May 8, 1983 by the composer, John Williams; and most recently on April 17, 1994, by Max Hobart. It is scored for quadruple brass and percussion.

Thanks! So it seems to be the "Festive Occasion" piece after all -- one of the first pieces Williams wrote after taking up the baton for Boston Pops. In either case, it will be nice to hear a new rendition.

[Perhaps update the thread with a disclaimer that it's a re-named version?]