Erik Bauersfeld, voice of 'Star Wars' Admiral Ackbar, dies at 93

Will

1 minute ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

Admiral Ackbar is ''beloved''? Why? By who?

Star Wars fans. despite his meme-status he's a very well-liked Star Wars character, been the subject of many parodies and praised for his charming performance in ROTJ. he was also brought back in for TFA so clearly there's some love going on with ol' fish-face.

2 hours ago, Barnald said:

That's nothing. Today I saw one site describe Maz Kanata as a 'fan favourite'.

Maz Kanata? Is that the little green thing with the really thick spectacles?

3 hours ago, Melange said:

Your characteristically overly cautious yet simultaneously 'direct' style of leadership for the Rebellion will never be forgotten, Sir.

We salute you!

Our firepower could not possibly repel a post of that magnitude! Well done, Mel!

59 minutes ago, Richard said:

Maz Kanata? Is that the little green thing with the really thick spectacles?

That's the one. I had to make sure I spelled the name right.

10 hours ago, Barnald said:

That's nothing. Today I saw one site describe Maz Kanata as a 'fan favourite'.

Star Wars fans are weird. 

Boba Fett has been a hugely popular "character" since 1980 despite getting eaten alive by a hole in the ground after only like two minutes of screen time (until 2002's Attack of the Clones).

Ackbar probably had equal screen time and dialogue.  His role was much bigger in Expanded Universe material - as the military leader of the New Republic.  So fans may like him because of that.

Maz has a much larger role in TFA than either of those characters, and she's apparently coming back for the next one.

Between novels, comics, roleplaying games, video games, etc., every background alien has a name and a story.  Everyone can be a fan favorite.  Want to know about the bartender in the cantina?  He hates droids, until he found one who could grind Greedo's charred corpse into a delicious drink.  Want to know more about the blue Twi'Lek Jedi who was onscreen for maybe five shots in Episodes II and III?  Her name is Aayla Secura, and there is a summary of thousands of words on Wookiepedia which tells you all about her adventures.

13 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Porkins for the win!

Alas the actor William Hootkins died back in 2005.