WESTWORLD (HBO TV)

A24

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Jonathan Nolan:  “The truth is, what we’re doing there is a 10-hour movie. It’s not really a TV series. When they say ‘It’s not TV, it’s HBO,’ they’re really not kidding.”

http://io9.gizmodo.com/jonathan-nolan-nothing-that-i-have-done-prepared-me-fo-1773150093

• 4 weeks later...

I think HBO is pumping a lot of money in this. Both coming from Michael Crichton, I always preferred the Westworld idea over the Jurassic Park one. In Westworld the technology should serve human kind (like a holodeck but with robots) but in Jurassic Park, with its house-sized monsters, you're kinda asking for trouble. In the future, I can see robots being used in Disney World, but real dinosaurs? I don't think so. 

Alex - waiting to be accused for being a dinosaur hater

He milked that Idea many times.

Westworld JP Timeline.

The only monsters in JP were people.

11 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I remember being gravely disappointed with Futureworld, the sequel to Westworld. Remember that one, Joey?

I honestly don't remembered. I was 15. I seem to recall it played more like a big budget Six Million Dollar Man. I enjoyed Race with the Devil and Dirty Larry Crazy Mary more.

• 3 weeks later...

And a Nolan!

But I'm celebrating Hopkins' return to television! And it's no ordinary TV, it's HBO! 

All craziness on a stick, Steef, the vibe I'm getting from this trailer is that Nolan is creating his own little Blade Runner Off-World universe. Am I the only one who is seeing that?

Alex

You're right. In the trailer we can already hear the characters spelling out the themes. I noticed that too.

Well, if the show stinks, we always have the new MacGyver. ;)

Game of Thrones has made me lose faith in the HBO brand where its dramas and quality consistency are concerned. Lately they're more of a mainstream blockbuster outlet than anything else. 

I disagree. Many HBO shows are not geared towards the masses at all. They are geared towards an older, neglected, more sophisticated crowd that felt cinema has become too childish. However, in the case of Westworld, HBO may indeed want to create another goose capable of laying golden eggs, like Game Of Thrones. Is that so bad? 

Alex

Got no problem with blockbusters or mainstream, but it just means I have to be more choosy, no different to what I am when it's those sorts of movies. With HBO you could be about as close to consistency per episode as one could get in TV, it was a safe bet. But the fact is Game of Thrones is all over the place. Then every year we get those one or two incredible episodes in its second half and all is forgiven. 

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

So it's a sci-fi western? Eh...

Westworld is an amusement park with a Western theme, an ancient Rome theme and an medieval world. As a visitor you can, for instance, live like a Roman senator with everything that goes with it. The extras that inhabit those worlds are AI.

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Didn't Nolan say it was a 10-hour movie?

It's an ongoing series, not a one and done event.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...