WESTWORLD (HBO TV)

A24

But you don't know what it will do to YOU, until you tried it!

And flavor wise, its a whole bouquet of flavors unavailable without alcohol

Just ask your kid to download it and form your own opinion.

But if you really need us to tell you what to do... Honestly, I'm not sure how you'd feel about that one. I think there's stuff you'd like for sure, but there's other stuff that may not be to your liking (the show is rather uneven with really strong moments often followed by rather dull ones)... Which is why he'd be better if you downloaded/streamed it first before buying the set.

It features some of the very best acting and production values of 2016,and tells a cool story. But your standards are impossible to satisfy so how the fuck can any of us tell you what to do? Just download it and watch it, then buy it if you liked it. 

Why do you of all people care if it's the next big thing?

If anything, watch it for Hopkins. Every scene he's in deserves to be seen, he's outstanding.

Totally agreed!  He is SO GOOD on this show.  I was impressed by his performance every week.... and on top of him, Jeffrey Wright and Evan Rachel Wood were spectacular every week too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Interesting video, Hopkins was definitely more impressive than he has been for many years.

I read an interesting quote from Alec Baldwin recently where he compared listening to a Hopkins performance to listening to the famous horn solo at the beginning of Tchaikovsky's Symphony No.5, 2nd movement.

What do you think?

He was was he? That's the initiative I need to get on it then. 

Quintus - loves Hopkins in everything from Silence of the Lambs and Remains of the Day, through to Magic, Audrey Rose and the underrated The Edge 

Not only are the production values of this show incredibly high (As in: Expensive, gorgeous sets, scenery, cinematography, costumes), but it features FANTASTIC acting every week as well.  Not only is Hopkins great, but so is Ed Harris, Jeffery Wright, AND Evan Rachel Wood... and many others!  Every actor seriously brought their A game to this show.

How much you ultimately like it therefore depends pretty much entirely on how you feel about the storyline and how its plotted out (IE, how the story is told in terms of what they tell you along the way and what they hide until the end), since the production values and acting and everything is is completely ace.

38 minutes ago, Jay said:

How much you ultimately like it therefore depends pretty much entirely on how you feel about the storyline and how its plotted out (IE, how the story is told in terms of what they tell you along the way and what they hide until the end), since the production values and acting and everything is is completely ace.

This is what's so frustrating about the show for me.  There's a fascinating story there but the showrunners seemed to place keeping the audience in the dark and guessing above anything else.  Ultimately, I didn't like season 1 but I'm still really excited to see what they do for season 2.

What I liked about it is that for as much of it was left to a mystery week to week, so much was explained in the final 2 episodes.  It isn't like some shows that just drag their mysteries out forever.  I also like that the final episode introduced new mysteries to ponder until 2018

22 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Wait. So you have seen it then?

Nope! I just ran into this video and thought I would post it here. I like Nerdwriter's videos.

22 hours ago, Jay said:

Not only are the production values of this show incredibly high (As in: Expensive, gorgeous sets, scenery, cinematography, costumes), but it features FANTASTIC acting every week as well.  Not only is Hopkins great, but so is Ed Harris, Jeffery Wright, AND Evan Rachel Wood... and many others!  Every actor seriously brought their A game to this show.

Hmm, so you're saying that the storyline itself is frustrating possibly to the point of being harmful overall? Fuck's sake, I hate that. 

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I find his manner of speech when reading the scripts very annoying, but his videos are top notch production-wise.

He's very intelligent and he wants us to know that.

On 5/4/2017 at 10:53 AM, Quintus said:

Hmm, so you're saying that the storyline itself is frustrating possibly to the point of being harmful overall? Fuck's sake, I hate that. 

No, I am not saying that at all, and I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion.

I found the storyline easy to follow week to week, and satisfying when it reached its conclusion.  It's a good show.

1 minute ago, Alexcremers said:

He's very intelligent and he wants us to know that.

Yeah, he could do with trying to sound more conversational.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

No, I am not saying that at all, and I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion.

22 hours ago, Jay said:

How much you ultimately like it therefore depends pretty much entirely on how you feel about the storyline and how its plotted out (IE, how the story is told in terms of what they tell you along the way and what they hide until the end)

Sorry Quint, I still don't follow what you're getting at.

As I said:

On 5/4/2017 at 10:55 AM, Jay said:

I found the storyline easy to follow week to week, and satisfying when it reached its conclusion.  It's a good show.

What I'm getting at is:  It's extremely unlikely that there is anyone who would watch the show and say "I loved the story, but the acting and production values were not ideal", because those two things are knocked out of the park here.

So therefore, I'm saying someone who watches the show, but doesn't like it, falls into two categories:

1 people who watched a few episodes then got frustrated by the fact that there are mysteries week to week that aren't answered, and gave up on it before finishing the season.  This is unfortunate, because ultimately all the mysteries WERE answered by the end of the season.  This show is not structured like LOST, where every question that got answered opened up 2 more, and mysteries got dragged out season after season, etc.  Season 1 is pretty self contained, explains pretty much everything that is mysterious in the early episodes, BUT still opens up new questions in the final episode that will give you an idea of what season 2 will tackle.  I think its the perfect structure for what they are doing here.

2 people who simply don't like watching a sci-fi storyline about rich people buying time in a old-West themed park filled with robots, that actually is more about the robots and their makers than it is about the guests.  

Some people simply can't handle watching a show where something happens that isn't explained immediately and just give up.  If you don't mind that, and are willing to go in with an open mind and watch all 10 hours, you'll like it just fine.

I mean, is that what really happens when "people" watch it though? Because in this day and age, we all know that to start a new show is to make the decision to potentially become dedicated to it, to be in for the long haul. It's sort of become the whole point, and is the origin of "binge" watching. 

What I am on the lookout for when trialling new stuff is phonies. I don't like writing which plays games, takes me for an idiot. I don't like shows which bullshit me. It's why I have developed a natural aversion to the likes of Lindelof. I'm weary of writers who don't really know where they're going with it but present everything in a glossy manner which is supposed to be a stand in for the lack of focus and direction. That's why a pair of unshowy but safe hands like Vince Gilligan's appeal the most to my tastes. Steady and assured, no gimmicks. 

25 minutes ago, Jay said:

So therefore, I'm saying someone who watches the show, but doesn't like it, falls into two categories:

That's a gross oversimplification, I'd say. There are other reasons why people would have problems with the story.

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I found Westworld deeply frustrating.  It's the kind of show that strings you along with mysteries upon mysteries.

Like Samsung, they throw a load of ideas at the wall and see what sticks? Is Westworld the TV equivalent of the Samsung Galaxy Edge? ;)

3 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Like Samsung, they throw a load of ideas at the wall and see what sticks? Is Westworld the TV equivalent of the Samsung Galaxy Edge? ;)

Thankfully, the show never explodes in your face.

53 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I mean, is that what really happens when "people" watch it though? Because in this day and age, we all know that to start a new show is to make the decision to potentially become dedicated to it, to be in for the long haul. It's sort of become the whole point, and is the origin of "binge" watching. 

I brought it up because Pub watched the first few episodes and then gave up on it.

What I am on the lookout for when trialling new stuff is phonies. I don't like writing which plays games, takes me for an idiot. I don't like shows which bullshit me. It's why I have developed a natural aversion to the likes of Lindelof. I'm weary of writers who don't really know where they're going with it but present everything in a glossy manner which is supposed to be a stand in for the lack of focus and direction. That's why a pair of unshowy but safe hands like Vince Gilligan's appeal the most to my tastes. Steady and assured, no gimmicks. 

Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad are absolutely better shows than Westworld, no question at all.

Its not a phony show though, it has things to say, and says them well.  IMO.  You may like it, you may not.  Nobody can tell you.  Simply watch and find out for yourself.  What have you got to lose?

Hopkins is great but by far my favorite performances are from Jeffrey Wright, James Marsden, Thandie Newton, and Evan Rachel Wood.  I'd give all 4 of them Emmies if I could.

Every time I see Thandie Newton these days I'm distracted by her depressingly skinny frame courtesy of the celeb diet affliction which so many naturally curvy women subscribe to. When you see her in older stuff, Interview With a Vampire for instance, Newton had a lovely round face with big eyes and pouting lips. Now though she's all cheek bones and shoulder blades. Same thing happened to Jessica Alba.