BBC Proms 2016

Omen II

The 2016 season of the BBC Proms was announced this week.  I would be interested as ever to read any recommendations from the good folk of JWFan:

BBC Proms 2016 listings

There are a lot of big choral and operatic works programmed this year.  For film music fans, the highlights will probably be a Quincy Jones prom (with the Dutch Metropole Orkest - please please please play The Italian Job), the annual appearance of the peerless John Wilson Orchestra in an all Gershwin concert and Prokofiev's Alexander Nevsky cantata on the opening night.

The price to stand has gone up from £5 to £6 this year.  The horror!

I'll most definitely be going to the Prom with R. Strauss' "An Alpine Symphony" on 28th August. One of my favourite pieces and I just can't wait to hear it live! Stephen Hough playing Rachmaninov's "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini" on 23rd is sure to be spectacular as well.

34 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Shame there's nothing much of special interest again this year. Just the usual classical repertoire and nothing too out of the ordinary. 

Still wishing for The Proms Does Music From The Video Games?

I'll most definitely be going to none of them, but, among those I'll likely tune in to hear, the concert pairing Boulez's Éclat with Mahler's Symphony No. 7 and the one with Grisey's Dérives are probably top of the list.

13 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The Proms Does Music From The Video Games?

:lol:

Cool to see them do a Quincy Jones special, but I doubt they're going to play much of his film and tv music. Which is a shame, because there's a lot of good stuff there (and I'm not only talking about THE COLOR PURPLE and THE PAWNBROKER).

7 hours ago, loert said:

I'll most definitely be going to the Prom with R. Strauss' "An Alpine Symphony" on 28th August. One of my favourite pieces and I just can't wait to hear it live!

:up:

Not a ton of interesting stuff, quite a few "safe" concerts, but I'd like to see Berlioz's Romeo and Juliet, Nielsen 5, and Bach Mass in B minor.  Surprising amount of Dutilleux as well.

• 2 months later...

After yesterday's terrible incident in Nice, the first night concert this evening began with an unscheduled performance of La Marseillaise and the French tricolore projected onto the organ loft of the Royal Albert Hall.  It brought everyone in the hall to their feet in solidarity and was greeted with a huge ovation.  This is great to see.

Sakari Oramo conducts the BBC Symphony Orchestra.

The Strictly Come Dancing prom that was screened on TV yesterday was actually pretty decent and even included a couple of film music selections, namely Richard Rodney Bennett's Murder on the Orient Express and John Barry's Somewhere In Time.  Nice dancing too, of course.

20 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

And I seem to have missed the Purcell/Handel prom with the Academy of Ancient Music. Why didn't they broadcast it on RAdio 3?

Fear not, @bollemanneke, that one is the late night prom on Thursday 8th September and will be broadcast on BBC Radio 3 (alien invasion notwithstanding).

Dutilleux is always worth a punt. Anything conducted by Norrington, Eliot Gardiner, Barenboim, and Rattle is a must. 

"Boris Godunov" sounds good. The Quincy Jones prom is fiucking essential!

The Bowie prom is the same.

Avoid the Strictly prom, if you value your mental health.

No "DW" prom, this year. :(

1 hour ago, Omen II said:

The Strictly Come Dancing prom that was screened on TV yesterday was actually pretty decent and even included a couple of film music selections, namely Richard Rodney Bennett's Murder on the Orient Express and John Barry's Somewhere In Time.  Nice dancing too, of course.

Fuck's sake. RRB, and JB must be turning in their graves.

On 16/04/2016 at 2:57 PM, Lonnegan said:

Not exactly difficult mate ;)

On 16/04/2016 at 3:00 PM, Stefancos said:

Exactly!

That's probably why Steef likes it! :lol:

On 17/04/2016 at 2:30 AM, DarthDementous said:

is there going to be any Doctor Who music or is that now relegated to the 'Symphonic Spectaculars'? I was hoping to hear some tracks from Series 9.

SERIES 35!!!!!!!!! Fuck's sake.

22 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Don't mind him, he's British.

ah, I think in Australia we call them seasons. I'm someone not super-familiar with the Classic Era (I've seen some episodes) so 'Season 9' is a lot easier to remember than 'Series 35' :P

8 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

ah, I think in Australia we call them seasons. I'm someone not super-familiar with the Classic Era (I've seen some episodes) so 'Season 9' is a lot easier to remember than 'Series 35' :P

"Easier to remember "???!!!

All you have to do is remember one word, and one number. It's easy, repeat after me:

see-er-rees thir-tee five.

See? Easy. A chimpanzee, and two trainees could do it.

11 hours ago, Richard said:

"Easier to remember "???!!!

All you have to do is remember one word, and one number. It's easy, repeat after me:

see-er-rees thir-tee five.

See? Easy. A chimpanzee, and two trainees could do it.

one number is easier to remember than two numbers.

One of the things I love about the Proms is that every once in a while attending what, on paper, looks like a fairly run-of-the-mill classical concert turns into something quite memorable.

I went to the concert given by the Stuttgart Radio Symphony Orchestra on Thursday, playing Brahms's first symphony and Beethoven's fourth piano concerto.  I had no idea when I booked tickets that it would be the last ever concert given by the orchestra, as they will be merging with another group in September.

After the first encore the leader / concert mistress stood up to address the audience and explain that it would be the last time they would play together and that it was a privilege to have played their final concert at the Proms.  You could see that some of the musicians were quite emotional and there was not a dry eye in the house when they then played one final encore, the quintessentially English Nimrod from Edward Elgar's Enigma Variations.  Usually at a classical concert the orchestra leaves the stage when the applause dies down, but on Thursday something happened that I had never seen before at a concert; almost the whole audience stood and applauded continuously until every last one of the musicians had left the stage, many of them hugging each other and conductor Sir Roger Norrington before they left.

It was very touching to witness and one of those real 'I was there' moments that, if we are lucky, come along every now and then.

13662330_10154192090006265_8617198695168

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 16 April 2016 at 8:04 PM, Thor said:

Cool to see them do a Quincy Jones special, but I doubt they're going to play much of his film and tv music. Which is a shame, because there's a lot of good stuff there (and I'm not only talking about THE COLOR PURPLE and THE PAWNBROKER).

I went to the Quincy Jones concert yesterday and it was one of the best (and definitely the funkiest) concerts I have ever been to.  I loved every minute of it.

His film and TV music was in fact very well represented, the concert opening with a medley of three of Q's best known TV themes - Roots, Sanford and Son and Ironside.  The theme from The Pawnbroker also made an appearance (sung by Laura Mvula), there was a cue from The Color Purple and the first half ended with They Call Me Mister Tibbs and Soul Bossa Nova, which was of course used later in the Austin Powers films.

It was not just the well known films represented, with music from Mirage and the action cue Money Runner from his score for $ in the second half.  The orchestra, conductor, singers and soloists were just fantastic.  Although The Italian Job was not played, Michael Caine and his wife were there in one of the boxes (Quincy Jones was chatting with them during the interval).  Here are two of the highlights, the first featuring Cory Henry on hammond organ.  Ain't this just the best thing ever?

And what about this?  Groovy, baby!

The Jones concert looks awesome -- I wish there some way to watch the whole thing -- and I'm surprised it includes so many film and TV bits. Great programming!

• 2 weeks later...