Michael Giacchino's The Book of Henry (2017)

Max

Giacchino is currently recording the score at Abbey Road!

Having loved Jurassic World, I'm excited that Giacchino and Trevorrow are teaming up again. I can't wait to hear this one!

I'm surprised they're recording it in London. I guess since the film was financed outside the studio system, that gave the producers the option to record outside the United States.

I tried checking earlier, and it seemed the film doesn't have a release date yet?

With Star Trek Beyond opening in just three months, he'll be recording that one soon too!

• 1 month later...

Excellent!

Between this and Miss Peregrine there will actually be some interesting new scores to listen to in September (a rarity!)

• 2 months later...

The Book Of Henry has been delayed almost an entire year, from September 16, 2016, to June 16, 2017

:(

Well, that's one 2017 Giacchino score already in the books.  I don't think they're even doing reshoots or re-editing the movie - Trevorrow is already working on Star Wars 9 - I think they're just delaying the release of the finished product.  Weird.

:(

I hate to hear that. I did think it was odd that the movie was only a month away and we still hadn't seen a trailer. Oh well... This opens about a month before War for the Planet of the Apes (July 14, 2017) now.

• 7 months later...

Looks interesting. Like a grounded and real Lovely Bones. After so many huge blockbusters, it's nice to see him go back to something small.

His intimate and very personal music for LOST is sensational, so I expect brilliance from him for this.

Looks bad.  

3 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

His intimate and very personal music for LOST is sensational, so I expect brilliance from him for this.

I can hear the emotional piano chords now...

Finally watched the trailer.  Well, I think it looks interesting - good cast and premise.  With these kind of movies, its all about if the writers actually have a good ending that is worth it after 2 hours of investigation, unknown elements, etc.  Here's hoping.

I find it odd that they pushed the film back from last summer to this summer; I assumed at the time it was maybe because it was more of a special effects film or something, but it doesn't look like it, so who knows why they really pushed it back.  There hasn't been any word of the studio interfering with Trevorrow's cut so who knows.

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

I find it odd that they pushed the film back from last summer to this summer; I assumed at the time it was maybe because it was more of a special effects film or something, but it doesn't look like it, so who knows why they really pushed it back.  There hasn't been any word of the studio interfering with Trevorrow's cut so who knows.

According to sources, the delay was because the film was testing well with audiences and the studio felt that the film would perform better earlier in the summer (June) rather than in September.

From Variety:

The film has been testing well, according to insiders, and the hope is that the new date will give it more room to find its audience. The summer is a bit of a wasteland for adult-oriented fare, and Focus is betting that “The Book of Henry” will be able to attract older crowds who may not be enamored of costume heroes and animated adventures. The studio still thinks the film is strong enough to warrant awards attention.

Yea, see, that doesn't make sense to me, because if they didn't want it to get lost among summer blockbusters, then release it in October or November, not June!

Maybe the "older crowds" mentioned will come out this summer... we'll see!

Looking forward to Giacchino's score a lot!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The film comes out next Friday, June 16, but we haven't heard anything about a soundtrack release yet (unlike War for the Planet of the Apes and Spider-Man: Homecoming, which come out next month and have both been announced). Could it be possible that someone announces the soundtrack and releases it by Friday, or could this mean the soundtrack is delayed or not guaranteed?

9 hours ago, Max said:

The film comes out next Friday, June 16, but we haven't heard anything about a soundtrack release yet (unlike War for the Planet of the Apes and Spider-Man: Homecoming, which come out next month and have both been announced). Could it be possible that someone announces the soundtrack and releases it by Friday, or could this mean the soundtrack is delayed or not guaranteed?

Probably no release. Giacchino's smaller scores tend to not get them. 

Wow, somehow managed to completely forget Giacchino has 3 big scores coming out soon.  This is just the standard pattern for summers now, eh?  I guess since I haven't been impressed with a lot of his recent offerings, my excitement before hearing new scores from his have tempered off a lot...

10 hours ago, Jay said:

Wow, somehow managed to completely forget Giacchino has 3 big scores coming out soon.  This is just the standard pattern for summers now, eh?  I guess since I haven't been impressed with a lot of his recent offerings, my excitement before hearing new scores from his have tempered off a lot...

Yeah, I really dug Jurassic World, Jupiter Ascending, Tomorrowland and Inside Out in 2015, it's just that nothing he's done since has made much of an impression on me. Don't get me wrong, I still liked Star Trek Beyond and Rogue One well enough, they just didn't grab my attention (or keep it) like many of his previous scores have. And then there's things like Doctor Strange, that were mostly just boring.

Samples are in, it sounds very different from his Lost sound, that it was what I was expecting from him here. Score being released this friday on iTunes.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-book-of-henry-original-motion-picture-soundtrack/id1247743432

PS: Lovely cover.

Thanks for the link, listening to samples now!

And yea, cool cover:

1600x1600w.jpg

1. Overture
2. Treehouse Inventions
3. Cheering Up the Mountain
4. Predator in Their Midst
5. Research and Development
6. Shaking, Not Stirred
7. On Mortality
8. Henry's Final Wish
9. A Tender House Call
10. Book Discovery: System of Abuse
11. Do You Have Prince Albert in a Can?
12. Target Practice
13. Forging Ahead
14. Peter's Lament
15. The Parable of the Talents
16. Christina's Dance
17. Susan for Justice
18. Peter the Great
19. Into the Fire
20. Closing the Book on Henry
21. Your Hand I Will Never Let It Go 

People who hate Giacchino's tinkly piano writing, turn back now!

Samples sound good, can't wait to hear the whole thing.  I'm not sure it'll hold up to a full listen, but maybe I can get a good playlist of highlights.

Love that "Overture"! Already stuck in my head, those first few samples hooked me right away then it sorta got a little more typical. I tend to prefer these more modestly scaled Gia scores, though, so hope there's some good stuff.

Shades of Rogue One in that theme btw, though I like this one better.

52 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I tend to prefer these more modestly scaled Gia scores, though, so hope there's some good stuff.

Indeed. These type of films play much more to Giacchino's strengths than your big blockbuster fare. Samples sound good.

Loving the samples. Really beautiful main theme and interesting orchestration for some pieces.

I have a soft spot for Giacchino's use of Piano, Cello and Harp together in a piece. He excels at it.

Really looking forward to the full score.