• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Max

Michael Giacchino's The Book of Henry (2017)

90 posts in this topic

I LOVE the samples!!  Can't wait till Friday!

Love that "Overture"! Already stuck in my head, those first few samples hooked me right away then it sorta got a little more typical. I tend to prefer these more modestly scaled Gia scores, though, so hope there's some good stuff.

Shades of Rogue One in that theme btw, though I like this one better.

Cerebral Cortex likes this

52 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I tend to prefer these more modestly scaled Gia scores, though, so hope there's some good stuff.

Indeed. These type of films play much more to Giacchino's strengths than your big blockbuster fare. Samples sound good.

Loving the samples. Really beautiful main theme and interesting orchestration for some pieces.

I have a soft spot for Giacchino's use of Piano, Cello and Harp together in a piece. He excels at it.

Really looking forward to the full score.

Arpy likes this

Do I hear a sneaky Jyn's Theme in there?

I've seen some people describing it as almost impressively terrible.  Like The Room or something.  So incompetent it's kind of entertaining.

Is it too late to remove him from Episode IX? :lol:

Oh my

My favorite review pull-quote:

"It's like blending Capri Sun with absinthe."

I think I've got to see this for myself.

What are the odds, after seeing the reviews, Trevorrow starts citing the film as an 'intentionally satirical reflection of the genre' or something equally pretentious?

This movie may cost Teverrow his chance of directing Star Wars 9. I wouldn't be to surprised if Ep 8 is great, Johnson returning for 9

I'm trying not to get my hopes up in that regard.  Kennedy seems to really like Trevorrow.

Gosh.. if they still go with Teverrow  I will be very surprised. I mean, what has he done to deserve such an assignment. Sure "Safety not Guaranteed" was a good indie movie, more due to the actors than the direction, but ok. Than he got Jurassic World which was ok at best. Now he, with full control, directed a movie that is being panned across the board. While great directors are need of opportunities they give one o for the most anticipted movies ever tô an inexpiriences and amateur director. 

JohnSolo likes this

2 hours ago, saulocf said:

Than he got Jurassic World which was ok at best. 

"Ok" is exactly what they need. Especially if it helped rake in over a billion.

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

Only early, but getting savaged by critics so far.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_book_of_henry/

Someone please tell me why this increasingly mediocre director is responsible for writing and directing what will probably be John Williams' final Star Wars score? :angry:

Oh jeez. Sounds like a terrible misfire all around.

I just saw the trailer, seems quite conflicted.

But is the movie bad because it was directed poorly, or just written poorly?

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

A good director can make a great movie out of a poor script!

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Some reviews that I read really bash the directing. Saying that Teverrow could not bring any style to the movie and was not able to handle the scripts turns. At least most of the reviews praise the score. Saying that does other than Watts is the only thing keeping the movie together.

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

A good director can make a great movie out of poor script!

I don't think that's true.  Maybe a great director can make a good movie out of a poor script, but what GREAT movies have poor scripts?

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't think that's true.  Maybe a great director can make a good movie out of a poor script, but what GREAT movies have poor scripts?

Avatar, Titanic, and almost all of James Cameron'a films 

Aliens and Terminator might be genre fare but they have fantastic scripts.

Joblo review:

THE BOOK OF HENRY really is Razzie-level bad, and a serious misfire for Trevorrow, who’ll still probably bounce back without too much effort once he plunges into STAR WARS: EPISODE IX (and he’ll do an OK job - one bad movie - even one as bad as this doesn’t automatically signal doom). It’s an awful curio that probably belongs on a “shelf of the dammed” next to movies like WINTER’S TALE and JUPITER ASCENDING. Hopefully it’ll get by without much notice, because this is truly one of the worst films I’ve seen in a good, long while.

Yikes.

The thing that irritates me most about Trevorrow is how pedestrian his direction is. Everything is so... mediocre, visually uninteresting, devoid of vision. It's like a logical computer directing a movie based on a series of formulas input by a marketing team, rather than an artist with a creative vision. I guess that's why he keeps getting gigs, because the Executives must love shit like that.

Worse still, he's reuniting for Episode IX with that same bland cinematographer who made the visually sterile Jurassic World. Joy! :mellow:

saulocf likes this

23 minutes ago, KK said:

"Ok" is exactly what they need. Especially if it helped rake in over a billion.

Also, this really pisses me off. I mean, Disney is taking risks by choosing Breaking Bad and Brick director Rian Johnson to direct episode 8. Why would they choose such a safe option for ep 9 if it is the one that will finish the trilogy. My guess (and hope) is that he will be fired by this time next year.

25 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

A good director can make a great movie out of a poor script!

I actually agree. At the very least, a good director/production team can make a movie that a lot of people love, even if the script is terrible.

12 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Having only just seen Terminator for the first time the other day, I can see how the dialogue and set pieces became so iconic, but I found the story so incredibly weak that I wondered if these now iconic lines may have come from a talented script doctor who was just trying to salvage the thing. Even with those lines, it was the direction and Ahnold's sense of presence that made the movie.

We also know that a great composer can create amazing scores for terrible films.

Hell, if IX is a trainwreck, Williams might just throw his baton in the air and say, "to hell with restraint, Johnny Baby is going out with a bang!" and write a ROTS-esque score.

Muldoon, Bofur01, Arpy and 2 others like this

34 minutes ago, crumbs said:

That is why I said "most of his movies". :) Titanic, Avatar, True Lies and Abyss have really ok to poor scripts

2 hours ago, Jay said:

A good director wouldn't sign on to a movie if it really was that bad. Or he/she would see the warning signs ahead of time and salvage something decent out of it.

I don't know why they would fire Trevorrow over this, seeing as he's already deep into pre-production. It's not like he's going to be losing craploads of money for a studio with these poor reviews. If this was John Carter, then I'd wonder, but even Andrew Stanton was able to fall back on Finding Dory which was a guaranteed hit like Episode IX. 

2 hours ago, saulocf said:

That is why I said "most of his movies". :) Titanic, Avatar, True Lies and Abyss have really ok to poor scripts

Do you think Avatar, True Lies, and Abyss are all truly great movies, though? 

Titanic is one of the better examples of a problematic script significantly elevated by its direction. Some of Spielberg's come to mind as well, like Jurassic Park and Saving Private Ryan. But I don't know if too many people who think about these things critically would consider both the films genuinely great and the scripts merely average or below.

I think there's something to be said for how a screenplay with kinda lame dialogue or two-dimensional characters can have other more subtle but crucial strengths like the structure of its plotting or consistency of tone, which can be exploited by a savvy director. Titanic is corny but filled with memorable situations hooked around visual ideas, even something as simple as a spitting contest (and then calling back to it) or Rose trying to find an instrument to cut Jack loose. In that sense Cameron knew what he was doing writing that thing.

4 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I don't know why they would fire Trevorrow over this, seeing as he's already deep into pre-production. It's not like he's going to be losing craploads of money for a studio with these poor reviews. If this was John Carter, then I'd wonder, but even Andrew Stanton was able to fall back on Finding Dory which was a guaranteed hit like Episode IX. 

Key difference being that Stanton had made two masterpieces of animation.  Whereas Trevorrow has made an ok movie, a pile of shit, and now apparently a "wtf were you even going for."

Arpy likes this

17 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Key difference being that Stanton had made two masterpieces of animation. 

Michael Cimino made The Deer Hunter right before Heaven's Gate, Francis Ford Coppola made Apocalypse Now right before One From the Heart etc.

The only reason Stanton got to make another big-budget movie for Disney right away was because he pitched a sequel to a hit. Whether or not Finding Nemo is a masterpiece is irrelevant.

I guess Book of Henry could affect Trevorrow's chances to direct anything original for awhile, but I dunno, if he makes a good Star Wars and it makes the money, then I think he'll survive. Depends on how big of a flop this ends up being, but it looks like it only cost $10 million? The guy who should really be worried is Gregg Hurwitz who wrote it (and this is his first movie.)

The reviews are nasty. The Guardian says 

'In its pure misjudged ickiness, bad-acting ropiness, and its quirksy, smirksy passive-aggressive tweeness, this insidiously terrible film could hardly get any more skin-crawling.' 

I can't deny. I am almost tempted to see what's SO BAD about it. Even the terrible reviews agree that it is atleast original in that it is atleast unpredictable. But I might wait for the DVD.

Just now, TheUlyssesian said:

I can't deny. I am almost tempted to see what's SO BAD about it. Even the terrible reviews agree that it is atleast original in that it is atleast unpredictable. But I might wait for the DVD.

Me too. So tempted.  I wanna watch a trainwreck.  Maybe in my younger days when I had nothing but free time.

36 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Do you think Avatar, True Lies, and Abyss are all truly great movies, though? 

Nah, I was just listing James Cameron's films that have bad script because someone said that Terminator and Aliens have good scripts despite that I said that I find most of his films badly written. Other than Lee Curtis I don't even like True Lies. Having said that, I do think that Avatar is great, despite its problems. The universe is fascinating and no one can be direct a grand film like Cameron

On 6/15/2017 at 0:39 PM, saulocf said:

True Lies has fantastic hilarious cracking dialogue, so can't say I agree with you there. 

21 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Michael Cimino made The Deer Hunter right before Heaven's Gate, Francis Ford Coppola made Apocalypse Now right before One From the Heart etc.

The only reason Stanton got to make another big-budget movie for Disney right away was because he pitched a sequel to a hit. Whether or not Finding Nemo is a masterpiece is irrelevant.

I guess Book of Henry could affect Trevorrow's chances to direct anything original for awhile, but I dunno, if he makes a good Star Wars and it makes the money, then I think he'll survive. Depends on how big of a flop this ends up being, but it looks like it only cost $10 million? The guy who should really be worried is Gregg Hurwitz who wrote it (and this is his first movie.)

I doubt Book of Henry will affect his Star Wars directing gig, unless he pulls a Josh Trank on set or something, a little seen soon to be forgotten in three weeks small film probably isn't going to get him fired from Episode IX.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I hadn't seen this tweet from Trevorrow before this morning

I'm not sure infantilizing yourself is the best tactic....

Yep, pretty infantile response to the criticism IMO.

I finished the album and I like the score.  It's nice to have a new score from a favorite composer that isn't another giant blockbuster type score.  There's a lot of different colors throughout the score which I appreciated.

It's not very catchy and I probably won't think to listen to it often, but I do like it after one listen for sure.

Arpy likes this