Classical Williams

I've only skimmed the surface of Williams' original work outside of scoring films, but I like what I've heard so far.

Tuba concerto (Slatkin did this in '83)--GOOD theme for the tuba; I've only got an LP-to-MP3 version, which doesn't do the piece much justice; I'd be willing to obtain more of it

Clarinet concerto--

Bassoon concerto--aka the Five Sacred Trees; I've only heard "Eo Mugna" and I like it

Violin concerto--TreeSong ROCKS! I love the end of "Doctor Hu" and the first 5 minutes of "Trunks, Branches, and Leaves". The rest needs a jump-start, majorly. The violin shouldn't be allowed to solo for that long. It needs orchestral support.

Cello concerto--this sounds a lot like A.I., in places--which is just fine with me, b/c A.I.'s a fine score. This CD takes my interest a lot farther than TreeSong, because there's more ear candy--like "Elegy" and "Pickin'".

All in all...I like Williams doing classical stuff. It seems like he gets to stretch out and relax more with these things and it shows. I think the strengths come when he includes full orchestral accompaniment with the featured solo-instrument, because there's such a full sound to it. You NEVER get that in any kind score outside of A.I.--which was good for a harmonious sound with everything. The accompaniment has a lot of harmony to go with the melodies of the composition. When the orchestra goes out, though...it's best if you keep a pillow nearby.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

what about the Trumpet Concerto and the Essay for Strings? i haven't heard them, or the basoon concerto. are they worth it? i like the other three concetos that i have, cello, violin and tuba.

also, does anyone have any info on the two symphonies he's written? i've read numerous times at numberous places that he has written two symphonies. any info anyone?

Ted

what about the Trumpet Concerto and the Essay for Strings? i haven't heard them, or the basoon concerto. are they worth it? i like the other three concetos that i have, cello, violin and tuba.

also, does anyone have any info on the two symphonies he's written? i've read numerous times at numberous places that he has written two symphonies. any info anyone?

Ted

Ted

Slatkin did not recorded the Tuba Concerto in 1983! The main reason, because the work wasn't composed untill a year later, and was premiered in 1985 by Williams himself, with Chester Schmitz, as part of the Boston Pops Centenial celebration!

What Slatkin did record, in 1981, and release as lp in 1983, by Varese Sarabande, was the Violin Concerto and Flute Concerto. Slatkin did played many music by Williams in concert, but other than these two concert works, he only recorded the Imperial March for RCA, on a all march album.

I enjoy the concert works so much because they show a different side of his talent/genius. My personal favorite is the basson concerto The Five Sacred Trees. It was the first concert work by John Williams that I purchased and fell in love with on first listen. It is the reason I started collecting the rest of the concerti and have not been disappointed. I love music that moves my emotions and all the concert works do that for me on different levels. :thumbup: