'The 25 Greatest Superhero Scores of All Time'

Quintus

Fair enough. Superman is one of my absolute favourites in the Williams repertoire, the March is probably my most played piece of music ever. Could it possibly be a generational thing again? 

17 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Fair enough. Superman is one of my absolute favourites in the Williams repertoire, the March is probably my most played piece of music ever. Could it possibly be a generational thing again? 

The themes themselves are great.  I just don't find myself listening to the bulk of the score very often.  

I still prefer it to Elfman's Batman though.  That one strikes me as being a bit "one-note".

That's why I wondered about the generational appeal thing. I don't know how old you are, but the Superman score has always been under appreciated by younger members here while beloved by older ones. Obviously that's not strictly the case, but it's definitely been a bit of a narrative at JWFan. 

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

I thought it was just alright. A lesser Horner. 

Lesser Horner? I disagree. "Jenny's Theme" is one of the most romantic and beautiful cues he ever wrote, in my opinion. Too bad it was never presented as powerfully in the film as it appears on the album.

I'm going to take a listen, thanks! Outside of the main theme I only ever listened to the score during the movie, when I was a kid. It left no indelible mark on me. 

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Most consider The Rocketeer top shelve 80's Horner, Leigh!

Which obviously time travelled to the 90's to grace that decade with its throwback charm!

It's a fantastic superhero/swashbuckle score with a simply wonderful soaring main theme.

It just gets a bit much. 

Out of curiosity is there a single really good action cue which doesn't heavily lean on the main theme? I never liked the main theme much. 

William's Superman is superior in absolutely everyway over Batman and all the others. The Denver of fools got it wrong.

Elfman's Batman Returns is epic tragedy on a Shakespearean scale, it's wonderfully OTT! 

The original score is good, but nowhere near as theatrically accomplished. 

However, I've completely outgrown both films. 

Batman Returns is basically unwatchable to me at this point.  I still have some affection for the original, but I watched it a couple of years ago with fresh eyes and it isn't terribly good.

Williams' Superman is the greatest superhero score.  It's probably the most infectiously exciting thing he's ever written, and one of the best marches you're ever likely to hear.  Elfman's Batman is a solid number 2, but with measurable distance behind Williams.  No one can match his orchestral might.

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

It's not a bad list. All the significant ones are on there.

Karol

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Most consider The Rocketeer top shelve 80's Horner, Leigh!

The Rocketeer came out in 1991.

It's one of Horner's very best scores!

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

Out of curiosity is there a single really good action cue which doesn't heavily lean on the main theme? I never liked the main theme much. 

If you don't like Jenny's Rescue and The Flying Circus  than the album isn't for you.

It's nice to see Unbreakable on here, and at least the quality Hancock gets a passing mention.  But all questionably ordered.  And the typical attempt to save face by including TDK but immediately downplaying its quality (the two-note theme is "unforgivably dull," really?  The most recognizable thing on the list aside from Williams' tune?) puts quite a dent in this guy's credibility!

Is there any indication that list is in some order of preference and not just a list of 25 scores in no particular order?

7 hours ago, Quintus said:

That's why I wondered about the generational appeal thing. I don't know how old you are, but the Superman score has always been under appreciated by younger members here while beloved by older ones. Obviously that's not strictly the case, but it's definitely been a bit of a narrative at JWFan. 

Superman is full of eargasm fodder.

8 hours ago, Quintus said:

Try the Rendezvous at Griffith Park cue.  Nice suspense building to a (typical) Horner action crescendo.  It's nothing groundbreaking, but like much of Horner, he used the same ingredients as before, but the recipe, for whatever reason, turned out better this time.

15 minutes ago, EdwardHall said:

"The Dark Knight Rises" would have been a better film if Batman had actually appeared onscreen for more than ten minutes. The movie centers on the three villains.

FYP.