Captain America: Civil War (SPOILERS)

I wanted to check out this film earlier this week after all the discussion here, and realized it's not even out here yet! Damn Europeans and their privileges...

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

They are still more imaginative than that new Star Wars film that everybody loved. 

Meh, barely. They're all in the same boat really. Largely uninspired crowdpleasers that provide a good romp for the time, but nothing else. SW just has the advantage of coming off a hiatus, but with Disney's plan for its future, it too will suffer from audience fatigue...just hope it happens with Marvel sooner than later.

4 minutes ago, KK said:

Meh, barely. They're all in the same boat really. Largely uninspired crowdpleasers that provide a good romp for the time, but nothing else.

Yeah, but that's what blockbusters are, KK. And many of them don't offer even that.

I don't think you can push superhero genre much further. Because you'll risk it becoming completely ridiculous and alienating.

Karol

Sure, I can get on board with that. But sometimes I find it strange how some of you guys go out to see these kind of films multiple times (outside of social obligations) and are keen on writing long essays on them, when there is probably more interesting cinema out there to put that effort into.

And I'm not sure if it's entirely impossible to change up the genre in more interesting ways. Winter Soldier got the closest of what I've seen from Marvel's roster, and to Snyder's credit, BvS tried to do just that, in some ways. But I guess the latter proved that the crowd just doesn't want that I guess...

3 minutes ago, KK said:

And I'm not sure if it's entirely impossible to change up the genre in more interesting ways. Winter Soldier got the closest of what I've seen from Marvel's roster, and to Snyder's credit, BvS tried to do just that, in some ways. But I guess the latter proved that the crowd just doesn't want that I guess...

It should be then interesting to you that Civil War presents essentially the same premise, with the same basic ingredients. It's where it all ends up that makes all the difference. The Winter Soldier, while a leaner and more focused film, still degenerated into a pointless CGI battle at the end. This one mostly manages to avoid that.

And I watch them multiple times because I enjoy them. They are the best blockbusters around at the moment.

Karol

Yeah, but Watchmen isn't really a superhero story. It's about superhero genre. And by using its cliches it tries to tell a very different story about the modern world and how we interact with it.

Well, at least the comic was that... Zack Snyder was too concerned about its choreography and sexy shots to understand the intention.

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Watchman is still the only really challenging modern superhero film. And its a film many people actively dislike.

I agree with KK. BvS is flawed, probably moreso then Civil War, but it does aim a bit higher.

No it doesn't. It chickens out at the end. Civil War at least tries to gives us conflict and dilemma complex enough that it cannot be truly resolved. All B v S does it being murky. And that's not ballsy enough, sorry.

Karol

15 minutes ago, KK said:

Sure, I can get on board with that. But sometimes I find it strange how some of you guys go out to see these kind of films multiple times (outside of social obligations) and are keen on writing long essays on them, when there is probably more interesting cinema out there to put that effort into.

Glad to learn you're with "us" on this one, KK.

1 minute ago, Quintus said:

Glad to learn you're with "us" on this one, KK.

Simple. I haven't got a family and I'm single. With enough income and time to indulge my hobbies. Doesn't seem likely to change in the near future.

Sad or not. But true.

Karol

The only thing I'm trying to figure out is whether he should be feeling sorry for us. Or us feeling sorry for him.

Either way, we'll all die eventually without ever learning much about life anyway. So it's all pointless regardless.

Karol

It's time we kick "them" out to the curb. Or maybe their own subforum.

Just now, crocodile said:

Simple. I haven't got a family and I'm single. With enough income and time to indulge my hobbies. Doesn't seem likely to change in the near future.

Sad or not. But true.

Karol

More or less in the same situation, except short on time and money, really. So I guess I do have to select my cinema experiences more carefully.

But wouldn't you rather watch a film you haven't seen or rewatch a more interesting work than watch the umpteenth Marvel flick for the 5th time? Like what do you get out of rewatching them. And there are so many films that I've yet to still see, so I'd probably rather check one of those out at home, then go see the next Avengers film again. To be honest, I enjoy them most when I'm watching them with a group of friends or whatnot, because it weirdly becomes this collective "illusion" of something great (an idea that cinema was built on really). But I'd probably get bored of watching them repeatedly in my own spare time.

And I still feel like there's room for auteurism, if the industry wasn't so restricted and keen on playing it safe. Heck, I'd be much more satisfied if even the most generic of Marvel's plots had something Snyder's distinctive visual language (think Watchmen, not MoS). Doctor Strange seems like it might have the most potential for that, but the teaser cut my expectations short on that front too.

You're over thinking it. Even if I had all the time in the world I wouldn't have any interest in seeing these sorts of movies week in week out. 

Yeah, but what if I'm not interesting in those films?

Karol

Patience ... Dunkirk will be out before you know it!

Just now, Alexcremers said:

Patience ... Dunkirk will be out before you know it!

I'm not a fan of historical epics/dramas. They are all lies.

Karol

I'm not a fan of historical epics/dramas. They are all lies.

Karol

The subject doesn't matter. It's Nolan!

Just now, KK said:

Have you lost faith already dear Brother?

He's decided to tackle a historical subject. He's bound to fail.

Karol

He is taking on a new path for once! We must commend him, not condemn him!

I always thought that for crocs it's the director, not the subject. I mean, imagine the following situation:

Person 1: I'm a huge Kubrick fan, man!

Person 2: Then you must be thrilled that he's working on Napoleon, right?

Person 1: Sigh! A history movie?! Pass!

This doesn't sound right, does it?

51 minutes ago, crocodile said:

He's decided to tackle a historical subject. He's bound to fail.

Karol

I'll see his Dunkirk before I bother to see The Dark Knight Rises. 

Humor, it is a difficult concept.

I'm basically saying I disagree with you, and find it comical that anyone would think that was the best of the 3 films, as I personally find it to be by far the weakest of the 3.

Visually, it may be more interesting. But as a whole, it's definitely the weakest of the trilogy.