Martin Stempel's 'The John Williams Song Book'

Ricard

1 minute ago, Marian Schedenig said:

And I'm not the only one I think. Thor, did you mean any kind of singing, or solo singing?

I was thinking of solo singing, primarily.

I was not aware that you sung in a choir, though. We never talked about that when we met. :)

18 hours ago, Thor said:

I was thinking of solo singing, primarily.

I was not aware that you sung in a choir, though. We never talked about that when we met. :)

I've mentioned it a couple of times on this board, but neither of us reads all the threads. I had no idea you sing, either (how/what/where?). I don't remember much of what we talked about other than photographing Horner... but these film music concert/symposium/people meeting events always seem like a blur anyway.

Speaking of which, Varese have just announced to release a Blu-ray of that Horner concert.

33 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I've mentioned it a couple of times on this board, but neither of us reads all the threads. I had no idea you sing, either (how/what/where?). I don't remember much of what we talked about other than photographing Horner... but these film music concert/symposium/people meeting events always seem like a blur anyway.

Yeah, that's understandable. We'll have to do another one soon (although I'm skipping this year's Desplat event in Vienna for obvious reasons).

I sing solo, but not professionally, and I'm too old to re-boot my career in that direction. I've had some lessons with my mom's cousin, who's the big opera star in Norway -- mostly about technical stuff. I usually only perform at certain small events and obviously karaoke, when opportunity allows. Used to sing in a choir when I was younger -- even with solos. Good times. My preferred style is 'anthems' of various kinds (lots of Disney, some musicals, some rock anthems etc.) because it allows you to try out your range. I'm rather terrible at rock.

1 minute ago, pete said:

I'd never heard of "The Same Hello...". Has that project been discussed here before?

Yeah, I remember a couple of occasions. It was written for Frank Sinatra back in the day, but he never performed it. There's a decent recording out there; with Michael Feinstein. I'm not too fond of Barbara Streisand's version.

It would be interesting if someone ever found out why Sinatra never performed it. If it was merely a question of logistics, or something else.

You know, it's something I find odd at best... Sinatra is said to have loved it, even crying or something, as he felt the lyrics portrayed him perfectly. He had commissioned the whole thing, but then he was getting to old to learn new songs... I think that was either told on the liner notes (which I'm too lazy to check out right now) or in some interview with Feinstein. Very odd story.

On 2016-04-29 at 10:58 AM, Ricard said:

Samples from "The John Williams Song Book" by JWFan member Martin Stempel and His Band, to be released this Fall:

"The Same Hello, the Same Goodbye" (Written by John Williams and Alan & Marilyn Bergman, 1978)

"The Long Goodbye" from The Long Goodbye

"If We Were in Love" from Yes, Giorgio

"A Place of My Own" from Heidi

Oh... Do I push play... do I ignore it... After all I have very particular tastes.... Orbison... Aznavour... Sinatra... I'm very picky.

WOW, I LOVE IT! WHAT A WONDERFUL PROJECT!

I'll buy this album for sure, congrats Martin!

:lovethis: