Tribute concert of John Williams in Paris (UPDATED 2017 + VIDEO)

toothless

Wow, great concert! Sometimes these tv broadcasts of live concerts don't sound very good but this one seems good. I'm gonna sit down and watch the entire concert later. Thanks for sharing.

3 hours ago, toothless said:

Hi everyone,

This is my first post but I'm not realy new to this forum as I follow some thread regularly. 
I had the opportunity to go to a Tribute concert tonight and It's been recorded live. I thought I'd share the link with you guys !
PS: Head over to the end for a truly great rendering of Rey's theme ! It wasn't planned at all and was a surprise to everyone as this tribute concert was about the music of JW in Spielberg's movies.

http://culturebox.francetvinfo.fr/live/musique/musique-classique/concert-hommage-a-john-williams-au-grand-rex-238619

Nice!  Great name too!

Thank you so much, toothless. So far I have listened to Rey's Theme and it sounded great - at the end of the rendition I started to wonder "What is happening?" when the crescendo appeared, and then it morphed into short statement of a theme from Harry Potter - pretty unexpected! I will surely check the rest of the concert.

Yeah sounds like the end of "Leaving Hogwarts" was tacked on to Rey's theme which was a bit strange, especially as none of the Potter music was in the rest of the concert!

You have to admit that Potter bit has that "It's over, ladies and gentleman!" quality to it - I would say it's more of a coincidence rather than a nod to similarities (which I also don't hear). But who knows?

2 minutes ago, zaddini said:

You have to admit that Potter bit has that "It's over, ladies and gentleman!" quality to it - I would say it's more of a coincidence rather than a nod to similarities (which I also don't hear). But who knows?

I agree. I think that's exactly the effect they were going for. 

45 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

Suddenly the video doesn't work for me anymore! Just as I was going to listen to the full concert too...

That's weird, still works for me :/
I'm glad ou guys like the vidéo !

3 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

Yeah sounds like the end of "Leaving Hogwarts" was tacked on to Rey's theme which was a bit strange, especially as none of the Potter music was in the rest of the concert!

Well, with the success of these two concerts, an other one is planned with music from the non-spielberg films. And it will include potter music :) http://overlook-events.com/portfolio/strikesback/ 

7 minutes ago, toothless said:

Well, with the success of these two concerts, an other one is planned with music from the non-spielberg films. And it will include potter music :) http://overlook-events.com/portfolio/strikesback/ 

That's great! I hope they will record it too.

9 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

Great performances, a very young and fresh looking and sounding orchestra. Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome :) The only thing missing for me in that concert was a cue from Tintin. But otherwise it was great :)

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Anti-Belgian sentiments after the Paris attacks are probably why nothing from Tintin was programmed.

And why would there be Anti->>>Belgian<<< sentiments?

Just checked the encore and they do sound quite great. And while this may sound a bit ungrateful, since it's just great this is available for all of us to see, I wish it was made available in higher quality...

A terrific concert and Rey's theme encore was simply ace! :) 

13 hours ago, toothless said:

Hi everyone,

This is my first post but I'm not realy new to this forum as I follow some thread regularly. 
I had the opportunity to go to a Tribute concert tonight and It's been recorded live. I thought I'd share the link with you guys !
PS: Head over to the end for a truly great rendition of Rey's theme ! It wasn't planned at all and was a surprise to everyone as this tribute concert was about the music of JW in Spielberg's movies.

http://culturebox.francetvinfo.fr/live/musique/musique-classique/concert-hommage-a-john-williams-au-grand-rex-238619

Thank you so much for posting this, it has made my weekend to watch a really fantastic selection played by an excellent young orchestra.  I always enjoy the rare opportunities to hear John Williams's music played by ensembles from different countries; whether real or imagined, I like to think that the natural characteristics of the musicians come through in the music sometimes.  I swear I can hear Berlioz in The Lost World all of a sudden!

I never knew that the French name for Short Round was Half Moon (Demi-Lune).  Also nice to see another John Williams fan called Damien presenting!

Great program! Anything goes to begin... gotcha! The presenter just said they choose the program in function of their childood memories.  Really? Instant wet eyes...  Geez I'm too sentimental.... or is it the white wine?

And what a great idea to present each piece visually on the big screen "à la Indiana Jones".

Chapeau!

What's that piece from Schindler's List they've played after Flight To Neverland?

I was sure it was from KOTCS, But I  think I've compared it quickly with every cue of the soundtrack except that one. Thanks!

Here's the full program for those who might be interested in listening to certain pieces only:

‘John Williams: The Philharmonic Concert’
A Tribute to John Williams – Music from the Films of Steven Spielberg
The Sinfonia Pop Orchestra conducted by Constantin Rouits
Recorded April 30, 2016 at the Grand Rex in Paris, France.

CONCERT PROGRAM

• Anything Goes from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
  • Theme from Jaws
  • The Barrel Chase from Jaws
  • March from 1941
  • Excerpts from Close Encounters of the Third Kind
  • Flying from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
  • Flight to Neverland from Hook
  • A Prayer for Peace from Munich
  • Catch Me If You Can from Catch Me If You Can
  • The Raiders March from Raiders of the Lost Ark
    INTERMISSION
  • Suo Gan from Empire of the Sun
    Introducing Jonathan Ke Quan (Short Round from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom)
  • Parade of the Slave Children/Short Round’s Theme from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
  • The People’s House from Lincoln
  • The Tale Of Viktor Navorski from The Terminal
  • Selections from War Horse
  • Theme from Schindler’s List
  • Theme from The Lost World
  • The Adventures of Mutt from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
  • Marion’s Theme from Raiders of the Lost Ark
  • Call of the Crystal from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
  • Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
  • Theme from Jurassic Park
    ENCORE
  • Rey’s Theme from Star Wars: The Force Awakens

(Total Time: 2h44m)

JWconcert_Paris20160430-1.jpg

JWconcert_Paris20160430-2.jpg

JWconcert_Paris20160430.jpg

On May 1, 2016 at 11:09 PM, Mr. Big said:

Likely a nod to the similarities between Rey's Theme and the general Harry Potter sound (which I still don't hear)

No, it's that Rey's theme doesn't have a big ending and I also thing it was a nod to "Hey Guys, he also did this theme"

Rey's Theme was very impressive, and I was equally bewildered by the Harry Potter quote at the end.

What REALLY had my jaw on the floor was the brass section in The Lost World. They absolutely nailed that. Come to think it, they nailed pretty much everything - if not let down by the sound mix.

The clarinet in Viktor's Theme was the best performance since the official soundtrack itself and admirably avoided an amateurish 'squeaks'.

• 4 weeks later...

I have watched this many times, what a brilliant program. Very well played.

The program is pretty hard(or is this broadcast tailored from two concerts?) To have a mic for every instrument is not

the best option but it somehow works with film music. It works fine for this tv show  but I'm interested how it would be listening experience

in the audience. Probably fine. (Everyone should hear these also natural)

Other observation was that it must best lighter to perform this kind of heavy program with the microphones, you never need to give the

the strongest effort to beat the whole orchestra what is sometimes needed in the lets say in the brass section.

But after that I really liked the performance, I did post it to my friends. Good start for an adventure in the world of Spielberg/Williams!!!

4 hours ago, hornist said:

The program is pretty hard(or is this broadcast tailored from two concerts?) To have a mic for every instrument is not

the best option but it somehow works with film music. It works fine for this tv show  but I'm interested how it would be listening experience

Other observation was that it must best lighter to perform this kind of heavy program with the microphones, you never need to give the

the strongest effort to beat the whole orchestra what is sometimes needed in the lets say in the brass section.

But after that I really liked the performance, I did post it to my friends. Good start for an adventure in the world of Spielberg/Williams!!!

Agreed!

On 2/6/2016 at 1:25 AM, hornist said:

or is this broadcast tailored from two concerts?

I'm interested how it would be listening experience in the audience.

It was recorded from one concert :) 

I thought the listening experience was nice :) But i'm not a Pro. So far I've only listened live to this concert, the Zimmer show and the Lord of the ring (2) live performance by the 21st century symphony orchestra. But, I already have my tickets for The Lord of the ring Trilogy, John williams strikes back, and James Newton Howard concert. So I'l get used to live performances more and more I guess :)

Geez, that performance of The Lost World was a bloody ripper! Such a lively performance, completely reinvigorated my love of that score.

Did Williams ever record that concert suite during the sessions? Or is there a performance of him conducting the concert version online anywhere? Far superior to the album version in my opinion.

On 02/06/2016 at 0:25 AM, hornist said:

While the recording does sound nice, and quite well played, it does seem to be a mono one...

Absolutely fabulous. You could tell these young people care about that music, because it was obviously very well practiced and rehearsed, and in some parts better than any world famous orchestra. The first violinist's Schindler's List performance was an exception among exceptional. My biggest complaint, if I can come up with one, was that The Lost World was probably too fast, which lent the piece great energy, but some intricate rhythms and motifs were swept a little under the rug by rushed players.

If The Lost World is too fast (I must admit I'm not familiar with this piece), I have to say The Adventures Of Mutt is a little too slow for me :). But that's if I have to find a complaint :P

50 minutes ago, toothless said:

If The Lost World is too fast (I must admit I'm not familiar with this piece), I have to say The Adventures Of Mutt is a little too slow for me :). But that's if I have to find a complaint :P

The Lost World Theme (the album version especially) is absolutely a top tier Williams composition. It is not only exhilarating from start to finish, thanks to the tribal percussion beats and dark string and brass timbres, but is filled to the brim with ingenious other-worldly rhythmic melodies. It is I think one of the first and prime examples of Williams pairing a more broadly sweeping longer-note melody (in this case, the minor-key theme that is uniquely harmonised solely with major chords), with a more rhythmic counter-theme (the rapid, modal motif, which in a way is actually a sped up version of the longer melody), over the timpani/bass ostinato.

Rey's Theme interestingly has a similar structure (although the rhythmic counter-theme doubles as an ostinato, and he instead throws in a second counter-theme for added variety...  both of which build on top of each other before the real melody kicks in). Williams is quite deft at weaving ostinati in and out (e.g. Superman, Jaws) but after The Lost World theme, he really went all out with competing melodic contours.

• 8 months later...
On 01/05/2016 at 10:58 AM, toothless said:

It's tomorrow, and the orchestra in rehearsing today :

I hope it gets recorded too. But I'll make a quick review anyway :)

The concert was recorded so I hope I will soon be able to provide you with a link. :D It was a really great concert with lots of surprises. 
One of the surprises being the world premiere of the Imperial Suite from rogue one :)

I don't want to share my thoughts right now as I want to let you the opportunity to listen and discover without much spoiler ;)

I asked the producer if a video would be made available on YouTube or Culturebox. He replied to me saying it was in the work and that they are hoping to release it in a month ! I'll post the video here if you're interested ; I can tell you it's really worth looking at :)

Edit : Should I make a new thread for this concert or can we continue here ?

• 3 weeks later...