Do you own "The Poseidon Adventure," "Earthquake," and "The Towering Inferno" on CD?

Josh500

Do you own "The Poseidon Adventure," "Earthquake," and "The Towering Inferno" on CD?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. The Poseidon Adventure

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Earthquake

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. The Towering Inferno

• Yes
    • No

I recently found LLL's "The Poseidon Adventure" in used but very good condition on sale for 100 Euros.

Should I buy it? What do you think?

By the way, I own none of these 3 scores on CD (original or expanded), which is a bummer. I own every single post-Jaws JW score on CD, however.

Sure. But when? Nothing's announced yet so far, right? 

Basically, I guess, my question is, is this OOP score worth spending 100 Euros for?

That sounds a bit hefty for The Poseidon Adventure.

Still waiting for a re-release of The Towering Inferno to appear, one of the few JW scores I don't own along with Conrack and Paper Chase.

53 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Hmmm, yes, I guess. But then, this is an OOP JW, so...

Anyway, how do you like the score itself? Do you listen to it often? Does it have a catchy theme (or several catchy themes)? 

57 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Still waiting for a re-release of The Towering Inferno to appear, one of the few JW scores I don't own along with Conrack and Paper Chase.

That's the only one that I do own. I bought it in 1998. I find my self listening to "TPC" a lot more than "TPA". Hey, ho. "TPA" is a bit "samey". "TTI", on the other hand...

3 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Hmmm, yes, I guess. But then, this is an OOP JW, so...

Anyway, how do you like the score itself? Do you listen to it often? Does it have a catchy theme (or several catchy themes)? 

The score is divided roughly into two categories as it was with all three Irwin Allen catastrophe movies, the source music styled pop-ish tuneful material and the sparse, steely, mournful and creepy dramatic underscore for the obstacles the characters have to overcome to survive and the tragedies that happen along the way. Although this one contains perhaps less of the pop tune sensibility than the two other disaster spectacles (there is half an album of source music here though) it is quite removed from Williams' more tuneful efforts really. The main title theme appears very sparsely, mostly to open and close the proceedings although I think it is a great one, full of turbulent foreboding.

Interesting comparison on the LLL album are the two alternate takes on the main title sequence which are dark, non-thematic, atmospheric and creepy, more avant garde than anything else on the disc.

In all honesty I do not find myself returning to this trio of scores too often (although I should listen to Poseidon more as I think it is a fine if subdued dramatic score), but I would place them in order as follows:

1) The Towering Inferno

2) The Poseidon Adventure

3) Earthquake

4 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Basically, I guess, my question is, is this OOP score worth spending 100 Euros for?

I don't think any score is worth spending that amount of money.

I have LLL's Poseidon.  I missed Inferno and Earthquake, although I did buy the digital download of the OST for Towering Inferno in the meantime until a rerelease.

Of course, I have all three. Neither is a particular favourite, but both TTI and EARTHQUAKE have some fine tracks.

POSEIDON, I've never really cared for (although I have a strong connection to the film, having seen it at my grandparents place -- who had Swedish TV -- back in the late 80s). Too much suspense drones and sneaking-around music for my taste. But the real attraction is THE PAPER CHASE and the CONRACK track. I never picked up the expanded version of POSEIDON, obviously.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

Of course, I have all three. Neither is a particular favourite, but both TFI and EARTHQUAKE have some fine tracks.

POSEIDON, I've never really cared for (although I have a strong connection to the film, having seen it at my grandparents place -- who had Swedish TV -- back in the late 80s). Too much suspense drones and sneaking-around music for my taste. But the real attraction is THE PAPER CHASE and the CONRACK track. I never picked up the expanded version of POSEIDON, obviously.

The LLL version of Poseidon contains a hefty amount of source music and few versions of the Morning After song and Williams's sparse 35 minute score and Johnny does deliver most of his music with clenched fist here.

Poseidon - yep, I got the LLL

Earthquake & Towering Inferno - No, and I really hope they come back in print so that I can.  I don't even care if they are expanded or not, I just want them to be reissued on CD so I can legally own them!

19 minutes ago, Stempel said:

I own all of these Scores. 

My Favorite is "Towering Inferno". 

Couldn't have said it any better :)

From the old FSM release, Conrack and The Paper Chase are my favorites. And while I do have the expansions, I barely listen to The Poseidon Adventure one...

I've got all four - both "Poseidon Adventures" (FSM and LLL) and the other two.  Gotta say (and it may be more because I've always enjoyed "Poseidon" over "Inferno") that I'm one of the few weirdos who enjoys the "Poseidon" score more than "Towering Inferno".  Love the main theme (although it's also hard to beat the main title for "Towering Inferno") and even the creeping around suspense music more than any of the other TI cues.

5 hours ago, Josh500 said:

No score is worth that.

It's cool you like Poseidon over the Towering Inferno but the Towering Inferno is by far the greater score. It towers over Poseidon.

Ranking them is easy.

1. The Towering Inferno

2. Earthquake (underrated by far).

3. The Poseidon Adventure. 

Yes to owning The Poseidon Adventure.  I've been holding off on The Towering Inferno for years even though I'm very familiar with the score.  I feel like it'll be reissued soon.

I too feel like its coming.

I have zero inside info or anything, it just seems likely to me

Actually I do own 2 tracks from Earthquake because I own the Japanese edition of "Film Works."

I find the Main Title from Earthquake one of the best and most underrated pre-Jaws JW pieces. Thrilling, adventurous, dramatic... jazzy but at the same time orchestral. Vintage JW if you ask me. Can't believe none of you guys seem to appreciate it.

Anyway, still undecided whether to get TPA, but if its theme is anything like the one from Earthquake, I might get it even for 100 Euros. :)

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I too feel like its coming.

I have zero inside info or anything, it just seems likely to me

Hopefully, yes!

Although personally I gotta say I'm hoping the three Potter scores and TLW come first. 

Everything takes time, they could start projects in one order but they come out in another, who knows

The labels know what we want, but they can only work on what the studios will license to them

Just wanted to mention that the Varese/Sarabande and Silva Screen covers of themes from these three scores are fantastic. Been listening to them lately as I revisit albums I haven't played for many years. The Joel McNeely suite from Towering Inferno is really terrific.

What are you talking about?

A head of  label doesn't count as confirmation?  Are you on drugs?

Neither was I. Remember I came first. 

Towering Inferno... Does anybody have the OS album, the one with only 9 tracks?

I could have that for 14 Euros. Hmmm.

The original Towering Inferno LP was never legally released on CD; the FSM CD was the premiere CD release and a different program.  The LP program was re-issued digitally by Rhino in 2014, however:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24843-so-rhino-just-re-issued-the-towering-inferno-lp/

2 hours ago, Jay said:

The original Towering Inferno LP was never legally released on CD; the FSM CD was the premiere CD release and a different program.  The LP program was re-issued digitally by Rhino in 2014, however:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24843-so-rhino-just-re-issued-the-towering-inferno-lp/

Yeah, yeah you're right. It's not a CD, but a download I can get for 14 Euros.

Anyway, should I get it? What do you think? The main themes and the best tracks are included there, I think (hope!). Sure, I'd prefer the FSM version, but beggars can't be choosers. 

The original LP program that Rhino released digitally two years ago, is the superior program. However, I'm unsure if you can program the FSM version (which is the only one I have) to fit that program.

56 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Yeah, yeah you're right. It's not a CD, but a download I can get for 14 Euros.

Anyway, should I get it? What do you think? The main themes and the best tracks are included there, I think (hope!). Sure, I'd prefer the FSM version, but beggars can't be choosers. 

I wouldn't bother to get it, no.  MV Gerhard posted that an expanded version from his label is coming out next year, and it will surely include the LP program, so just wait for that!

On 03 May 2016 at 0:48 PM, Incanus said:

The score is divided roughly into two categories as it was with all three Irwin Allen catastrophe movies, the source music styled pop-ish tuneful material and the sparse, steely, mournful and creepy dramatic underscore for the obstacles the characters have to overcome to survive and the tragedies that happen along the way. Although this one contains perhaps less of the pop tune sensibility than the two other disaster spectacles (there is half an album of source music here though) it is quite removed from Williams' more tuneful efforts really. The main title theme appears very sparsely, mostly to open and close the proceedings although I think it is a great one, full of turbulent foreboding.

Interesting comparison on the LLL album are the two alternate takes on the main title sequence which are dark, non-thematic, atmospheric and creepy, more avant garde than anything else on the disc.

In all honesty I do not find myself returning to this trio of scores too often (although I should listen to Poseidon more as I think it is a fine if subdued dramatic score), but I would place them in order as follows:

1) The Towering Inferno

2) The Poseidon Adventure

3) Earthquake

Incanus, perhaps you would like to "hold-off" your 1/2/3 until we hear a proper OST of "Earthquake"? As it stands, I like the re-recording.

The Towering Inferno is absolutely phenomenal.  I've never heard The Poseidon Adventure outside of the film, but nothing about it seemed particularly memorable.  I've never listened to or seen Earthquake.

On 5.5.2016 at 1:06 PM, Richard said:

Incanus, perhaps you would like to "hold-off" your 1/2/3 until we hear a proper OST of "Earthquake"? As it stands, I like the re-recording.

Perhaps. If and when we get the original tracks for the score. Same goes for The Eiger Sanction too, which I already think is terrific.

On 07 May 2016 at 5:55 AM, Incanus said:

Perhaps. If and when we get the original tracks for the score. Same goes for The Eiger Sanction too, which I already think is terrific.

Perhaps it's the way that both scores are mixed for their films (at least "Earthquake" is in stereo), but I prefer the re-recordings to the OSTs. All that "Training With George"/"George Sets The Pace" stuff is terriffic!

I have all of them. Love the lighter cues from Earthquake.

Main Title, Let There Be Light and An Architect's Dream from Towering are highlights for me.

I mainly listen to the Main Title andEnd title from Poseidon. Unfortunately the soundquality for both Towering and Poseidon is not good imho.

I have all three. Poseidon I have both the LLL and the FSM release (it was my first FSM purchase - and I believe my first specialty label soundtrack purchase). I love all three scores, and really enjoy the 70s lounge numbers (especially on Earthquake). If I ever make a compilation CD of Williams loungecore music, Earthquake and Towering Inferno will feature heavily.

On May 10, 2016 at 9:50 AM, pixie_twinkle said:

I have all three. Poseidon I have both the LLL and the FSM release (it was my first FSM purchase - and I believe my first specialty label soundtrack purchase). I love all three scores, and really enjoy the 70s lounge numbers (especially on Earthquake). If I ever make a compilation CD of Williams loungecore music, Earthquake and Towering Inferno will feature heavily.

Absolutely. Earthquake especially has some ridiculously smooth and groovy cues.

And although it is not Williams, Alfred Newman's score from "Airport" also has some great lounge music. "Love Theme" is sublime.