John Williams to Score Kobe Bryant short film "Dear Basketball"

pete

This was all an elaborate hoax by Kobe to get John Williams to write him a personal fanfare which will never be released, and to get invited to the Episode 8 sessions so he could steal the recordings and keep them to himself. 

Kobe betrayed us! He is not our friend!

Wow @Maclaine, super cool find! 

At first I wondered if Kobe was just one of those Williams "fans" that just knew him for the Imperial March or whatever.

But with his Rey's theme comment and this photo, I'm thinking his fandom is a little more than that! 

• 3 weeks later...

Terrific news!!!! :woop:

I was starting to worry it had been canceled! Great to hear they're already done animating, seemingly, or at least close. 

I know this might sound kind of crazy, but is there any chance that the music we hear at the beginning for a brief moment is a score except? I mean, The BFG premiere at Cannes used the film's score for the red carpet thing. 

Around 6:50 too there's some somewhat Williams-y stuff. 

I know I'm just grasping at straws here, but you never know, maybe these could be lucky straws. ;)

Gosh, Williams must have had fun working with Kobe (or will, if he hasn't scored it yet). So charismatic! 

I feel like the fact that Kobe was at the Last Jedi sessions is pretty telling that they're well-acquainted now. I don't think he would have just randomly gotten invited to sit in on that if he hadn't still been in recent contact with Williams.

How long would it really take JW to score this thing, anyway, if it's just a few minutes like he said? A couple days? A week? An hour or two recording it? Not like this is something that would eat up his time and our man's still in good shape to knock something like this out, dust himself off and go back to his larger projects.

37 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

How do we know Williams is still doing this?

Worried by the lack of mention of JW! Worried KM style!

Getting worried KM style!

maxresdefault.jpg

10 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I feel like the fact that Kobe was at the Last Jedi sessions is pretty telling that they're well-acquainted now. I don't think he would have just randomly gotten invited to sit in on that if he hadn't still been in recent contact with Williams.

Yeah I agree. I'm hoping you're right, at least! 

This is a project I'm really, really excited for. 

As long as the players were getting paid for two projects, I don't see why there would be a problem.  Williams uses the same orchestra for just about all of his projects now.  It would be easy to work out such details. 

Olympic Spirit seems to have been used at least twice as transition music, either on location or added to the broadcast:

I'm still wondering whether any clips of Williams' score might be heard here. After BFG I always need to check. 

I heard another orchestral fanfare I don't know:

Then again, most of the music sounds very unlike JW. 

EDIT: And here..

EDIT #2:

Another little bit:

I'm starting to think these are either pre-existing film compositions or stock music made to emulate Williams and his peers (given their variety and lack of repeating motifs). 

Anyone heard these bits before?

This is feeling like inauguration 2.0 LOL. 

11 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Great find, Maclaine! That being said, I think it's worth noting that the bromance goes both ways, with Williams himself having a picture of Kobe in his office as well. 
 Williams_Office_Kobe.png

:lol:

17 hours ago, Will said:

Another little bit:

I'm starting to think these are either pre-existing film compositions or stock music made to emulate Williams and his peers (given their variety and lack of repeating motifs). 

Anyone heard these bits before?

This music is Max Steiner's main title from the 1944 movie Since You Went Away, for which he won his third Oscar.

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if it will sound anything like Elfman's Barkley Superhero commercial, or if it will be something more typical Williams- and fanfare-y! The sport seems to lend itself to something very percussive-oriented.

On 2/7/2017 at 9:15 PM, Will said:

I heard another orchestral fanfare I don't know:

That's David Newman's "Sundance Fanfare" which appeared on this Telarc CD:
1388f.jpg

And it can be heard briefly being performed live in the background of this video:

23 minutes ago, Thor said:

I wonder if it will sound anything like Elfman's Barkley Superhero commercial, or if it will be something more typical Williams- and fanfare-y! The sport seems to lend itself to something very percussive-oriented.

Surely Kobe didn't pay Williams to do anything thay didnt sound Williamsy?

It will have enobling fanfares.

I like the look of that still, I was wondering how this might be animated. That sort of loose and "sketchy" pencil animation style has always been appealing to me. 

Glad to have this officially on its way, hopefully it'll go online shortly after the Tribeca premiere. So much Williams this year!