John Williams to Score Kobe Bryant short film "Dear Basketball"

pete

Possibly a little bit missing from that unscored beginning too. Theoretically 6 minutes could just mean anywhere between 5:30 and 6:30.

I really enjoy this piece, glad Williams did it! Good on KB for asking him. :up:

33 minutes ago, hornist said:

Major wow!!

As a former player and a huge JW fan, this is wonderful.

Former PLAYER? What level?

I've played some basketball myself over the years, but only amateur level.

37 minutes ago, hornist said:

Major wow!!

As a former player and a huge JW fan, this is wonderful.

I would have hoped for a good burst of hostility from you, what happened?

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Former PLAYER? What level?

I've played some basketball myself over the years, but only amateur level.

I was 20 years and on my way to a pro player but had to quit playing when I got my first orchestral position. Too many hits to my lips and fingers...One year my team gave me a car in order to make my studying easier...kinda semi-pro already:lol:

12 minutes ago, hornist said:

I was 20 years and on my way to a pro player but had to quit playing when I got my first orchestral position. Too many hits to my lips and fingers...One year my team gave me a car in order to make my studying easier...kinda semi-pro already:lol:

Ah, so you mean a HORN player, not a basketball player!? ;)

Wasn't aware that basketball was big in Finland.

12 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Don't be so sure.  Could be temp music from a trailer house that hasn't been removed yet.

Well if it's temp music, it only mean one thing: invasio... oops, sorry,... it means that we don't need John Williams anymore... and I can't resign myself to accept that.

The day John Williams will stop writing new music, I will only wear black and stop to listen to any new instrumental music.

The main melody's first phrase reminds me of The American President. Lovely theme, but I could do without the over-the-top modulations every time Kobe makes a shot.

6 minutes ago, The Psycho Pianist said:

Surely Kobe would push for some form of score-only release given he's such a big JW fan?

Nah, he probably just asked John to give him an MP3 for his personal iPod and that was that. ;)

I don't care a lick for basketball, but this was really sweet.  I think it's possible to tell when John is writing from a place of genuine emotion and understanding rather than just going through the paces - it is definitely the former here.  Even in the space of a few minutes, one still feels the sense of a true master of his craft at work, in top form, the same sense that's been around since, I dunno, Lincoln.  Looking forward to the new Star Wars score.

Is Bryant a piece of shit, like so many professional athletes seem to be?  Does anyone know?  Wonder if he really deserved this.

12 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Is Bryant a piece of shit, like so many professional athletes seem to be?  Does anyone know?  Wonder if he really deserved this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_Bryant_sexual_assault_case

Hard to say. Seems like a nice guy and you have to love someone who loves Williams, but there is that rape case Stu pointed out. We of course do not know exactly what happened that night so I try to avoid judging. It doesn't really sound great even if it wasn't rape, though. 

Fantastic!  That main theme is better than Lincoln.  [Ducks and covers, scrambling for the exit.]

the more I listen to it the more I like it, and the more angry I get we don't have the music released

This is the kind of stuff I wish we had more of in the BFG but didn't get

1 hour ago, igger6 said:

Fantastic!  That main theme is better than Lincoln.  [Ducks and covers, scrambling for the exit.]

I think the theme itself is okay. If I had to rank it with all the melodies he's ever written, it'd probably get lost somewhere right in the middle with most of them. I mean, if it was the main theme to a feature length score, I might get a little sick of it after like an hour, but it works swell for this and he sure makes the most of it in a few minutes.

I wasn't too sure what level he was gonna pitch this thing....I was basically expecting the sentimental Americana style, but I thought it might be a little more mellow overall since that's what he's been doing lately. I'm glad he basically went for the throat, though, it's fun to hear him just indulging himself at the end there.

Well that is a nice fluffy little theme with the above mentioned Lincolnian feel to it.

And that film was much more about Bryant than dear basketball.

The short hasn't even been officially released!  Technically we shouldn't have even heard this yet! Slow your roll, folks!

I'm not quite as enamored with this one yet, saying it's better than anything in Lincoln is laughable to me. 

Just watched the short and some of the interview material concerning Williams.  I dislike Bryant as a person, so it's hard getting past that, but taken on its own it's a very nice little piece of animation with lovely music.