John Williams to Score Kobe Bryant short film "Dear Basketball"

pete

• 4 months later...

Couple of things of note there are that Williams actually just wrote it last March on a two week break from Last Jedi -- so definitely delayed from when it was originally supposed to come out last year -- and Kobe wants to hire him again.

Just came here to post that article! :lol:

Awesome that Kobe wants to do more with Williams - hope it ends up happening!

The pictures are also cool. As Karelm noted a few days ago, he wasn't in a turtleneck at the rehearsal, but rather a blue golf shirt. I think he looks a little younger in it! :lol:

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

The music is good, but the project itself is awful, really.

The music and animation are above the paygrade of the material, but I think it works overall.  I am not a basketball fan, but I enjoy it as a celebration of human achievement that speaks more to love and effort than basketball.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

The music and animation are above the paygrade of the material, but I think it works overall.  I am not a basketball fan, but I enjoy it as a celebration of human achievement that speaks more to love and effort than basketball.

So you don't think a multi-millionaire paying to do a short film where he can read aloud  how wonderful he is reeks of narcissism? 

To be fair, it's not the narration itself that's the problem since it really says nothing about him being wonderful or anything like that, it's just about how much he loves basketball. It's more that the animation plays up Kobe himself as a God and the music is so celebratory, especially towards the end, it comes off a lot more as "I love Kobe" than "I love basketball." Which would be fine as a fan tribute or if somebody else made it for like a lifetime achievement thing, but when you consider that he commissioned it himself for basically no reason, that's what makes it sort of embarrassing. As a simple poem, it can be seen as humble and reflective, but the short feels excessively self-aggrandizing.

2 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

To be fair, it's not the narration itself that's the problem since it really says nothing about him being wonderful or anything like that, it's just about how much he loves basketball. It's more that the animation plays up Kobe himself as a God and the music is so celebratory, especially towards the end, it comes off a lot more as "I love Kobe" than "I love basketball." Which would be fine as a fan tribute or if somebody else made it for like a lifetime achievement thing, but when you consider that he commissioned it himself for basically no reason, that's what makes it sort of embarrassing. As a simple poem, it can be seen as humble and reflective, but the short feels excessively self-aggrandizing.

This.

6 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

That's my exact reaction too. It might be a cultural thing. I think this kind of self-congratulatory prose and style goes over better in the US than it does over here in Europe (BIG words without actual real content). Be that as it may, the Williams music is decent enough on its own. It's like with scores like LINCOLN or the courtroom scene in AMISTAD -- it's overblown Americana in context, but is fine listening outside the film. Hoping for a recording down the road.

Sure, it has some self-aggrandizing elements, but just be sure to be consistent. For instance, the main hero of Star Wars is named after the writer/director. Is this anymore obnoxious than that? If not, why not the harsh criticism lodged at Lucas and other artists (Frank McCourt, anyone)?

15 minutes ago, Tom said:

Sure, it has some self-aggrandizing elements, but just be sure to be consistent. For instance, the main hero of Star Wars is named after the writer/director. Is this anymore obnoxious than that? If not, why not the harsh criticism lodged at Lucas and other artists (Frank McCourt, anyone)?

George Lucas hasn't received harsh criticism? 

55 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

This!

54 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Lots of Kobe haters hating for the sake of hating. Ugh.

Go get a life, haters.

Meh. He's no Paudie Maher. 

57 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

George Lucas hasn't received harsh criticism? 

I have never heard the criticism of SW that it is self-indulgent and narcissistic insofar as the hero is a metaphor for Lucas's own life journey to that point.  Have you?  Have others on the board criticizing "Dear Basketball" made that criticism?

Great article! Good ol' Johnny "never seen a basketball game- never watched a horror film before Dracula- never seen a Star War" Williams. One of these days I half expect him to say, "Pizza? What's that?!"

"I do classical pieces, and it's all by hand". My new favorite JW quote. 

4 hours ago, Tom said:

Star Wars is not fictionalized autobiography. Luke Skywalker may be a stand-in for George Lucas in his own mind, who knows, but he is not presented that way to us. It's irrelevant to how we perceive the character and the film, unlike say 8 1/2 or Woody Allen's alter egos.

"Dear Basketball" is literally about Kobe Bryant, he is deliberately expressing some part of himself to an audience and it's perfectly valid to evaluate its quality and intent as a self-portrait. There's nothing wrong with autobiography, but when Kobe Bryant commissions a lavish film about himself and presents it in front of thousands of people at the Hollywood Bowl, then it's fair to consider what he's communicating about himself and why. And your answer will probably depend on if you think he's saying anything worth hearing.

9 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Star Wars is not fictionalized autobiography. Luke Skywalker may be a stand-in for George Lucas in his own mind, who knows, but he is not presented that way to us. It's irrelevant to how we perceive the character and the film, unlike say 8 1/2 or Woody Allen's alter egos.

"Dear Basketball" is literally about Kobe Bryant, he is deliberately expressing some part of himself to an audience and it's perfectly valid to evaluate its quality and intent as a self-portrait. There's nothing wrong with autobiography, but when Kobe Bryant commissions a lavish film about himself and presents it in front of thousands of people at the Hollywood Bowl, then it's fair to consider what he's communicating about himself and why. And your answer will probably depend on if you think he's saying anything worth hearing.

It is his love letter to basketball.  So, like any love letter, it is about the author in some sense. insofar as he is dwelling on basketball as his, concrete, individual love interest..  But, like with any love letter, the object of that love is central. 

If a couple reflects back on their 50 year marriage, each person is going to be talking about themselves as much as the other.  that is the nature of a love relationship. 

For the record, I do find it a bit narcissistic, but I find all entertainers to engage in analogous activities.  Do I really need to hear Taylor Swift, et al sing about their stupid lives?  No, but it is the nature of entertainment.  

Also, I would guess it was Williams idea to present the film in front of thousands of people.  Is Williams just as narcissistic to present his own work in such a way, with himself talking about himself and conducting his own music front and center?  Not to mention enabling multiple rounds of applause and standing ovations with each encore. 

We like the music, so we tolerate the blatant self-indulgent.  Why hold Kobe to a different standard?   

Self indulgent or what, the music combined with the images and the words gets to me.

I know nothing about basketball or Kobe -I'm a Dutchie, we like football-, but I think this is one of the most beautiful 'short things' of Williams' career. 

9 hours ago, Sandor said:

Self indulgent or what, the music combined with the images and the words gets to me.

I know nothing about basketball or Kobe -I'm a Dutchie, we like football-, but I think this is one of the most beautiful 'short things' of Williams' career. 

I found it grating. Far moreso than people swinging lightsabers.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I found it grating. Far moreso than people swinging lightsabers.

What did you think of just the music, away from the images, concept and words?

• 2 weeks later...

Oscars: Kobe Bryant Brings Star Power to Animated Short Race

Apparently the short is qualified to be nominated for Best Animated Short.  Given that there are probably a lot of Lakers fans in the Academy, its chances are probably good.  All we care about of course is if this makes a release of the music any likelier (the answer is probably not).