John Williams to Score Kobe Bryant short film "Dear Basketball"

pete

Yes, Keane and Bryant are both nominated for the short. 

I feel like Williams would not go on stage even if they tried to coax him since he's too modest and pretty much always sitting somewhere in the back of the theater, anyway, but they'd obviously thank him.

33 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

It's kind of funny how Williams has done more publicity for this than his other 2017 film scores

I think there are two connected reasons for this.  one, he generally does what the director/producer asks of him.  two, in the case of the Kobe project, he literally is one of three people, whereas in a normal movie the director, producers, writers, actors, etc. are all the focus of media stuff. 

1 hour ago, Not Mr. Big said:

It's kind of funny how Williams has done more publicity for this than his other 2017 film scores

Not really.  It seems he connected with the project on a personal level more so than on his other two scores.  I think the music shows this.  Dear Basketball and Markings are his best works of 2017. 

I hope the Oscar helps the music to be released!

23 minutes ago, King Mark said:

yeah but they didn't play the score when they walked on stage, just some random  unrelated music

I don't think for any animated/live short, or documentary, they've ever played the related music.

(correct me someone if I'm wrong).

They're not so important categories.

52 minutes ago, King Mark said:

yeah but they didn't play the score when they walked on stage, just some random  unrelated music

It's not like it was memorable enough that they would ever do that.

Too bad jw didn't get an Oscar for this, but I think this was well deserved. One of the best basketball players collabs with one of the best animators and one of the best composers. Not surprised. 

I honestly think this is as close as we're gonna get to that elusive 6th oscar for JW at this point in his career, unless he knocks it out of the park with episode 9.

Didn't he turn down the lifetime achievement award some years ago, saying he still had more to accomplish?

5 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Maestro!

Scores another Oscar winning film!

Kobe thanked the maestro.

Hopefully the score will get a release now.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I have no idea why this vanity project won an Oscar.

well, the execution was great!

i would watch a feature film with that rough drawing  style.

Yeah, style was great. But it's all VERY bloated. Then again, I can see why this would appeal to the Academy.

I also don't like Williams' music in context (uncomfortable shades of his abysmal A TIMELESS CALL), but I would love to have it recorded, away from the film.

6 hours ago, p0llux said:

I honestly think this is as close as we're gonna get to that elusive 6th oscar for JW at this point in his career, unless he knocks it out of the park with episode 9.

i think Williams will win another Oscat if:

1) he scores a non-Spielberg film (and a non-Star Wars, Indiana Jones sequels score)

2) gets out of his comfort zone and composes a more original score.

17 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

i think Williams will win another Oscat if:

1) he scores a non-Spielberg film (and a non-Star Wars, Indiana Jones sequels score)

Not if it is another Book Thief.

The Book Thief: Episode II?

Like the sound of that! :D

On 2/28/2018 at 9:39 PM, mrbellamy said:

I feel like Williams would not go on stage even if they tried to coax him since he's too modest and pretty much always sitting somewhere in the back of the theater, anyway, but they'd obviously thank him.

That's where the fun is. Or maybe he's just far-sighted.

7 hours ago, p0llux said:

Too bad jw didn't get an Oscar for this, but I think this was well deserved. One of the best basketball players collabs with one of the best animators and one of the best composers. Not surprised. 

Given how thoroughly uninspired Williams' contributions were, i'm not surprised either.

10 hours ago, Bryant Burnette said:

Does he have a lifetime achievement award?  If not, that seems like a safe bet, though possibly posthumously.  Maybe not, though; they don't seem to do those anymore.

There aren't any posthumous Honary Oscars. Even if they were awarded in the past, they've now been discontinued for quite some time.

10 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

With a track that short, there'd be plenty of room left on the CD to have somebody read the formal charge against Kobe in full

9 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Kobe Bryant and Glen Keane talking about John Williams backstage at the Oscars:

Thanks for that, that was nice to watch, fun little story

Apparently someone I knew as a trainee at sea told Kobe Bryant during a cruise how to wear his lifejacket.

I had no clue there were only three degrees of separation between myself and John Williams! :blink:

49 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Apparently someone I knew as a trainee at sea told Kobe Bryant during a cruise how to wear his lifejacket.

I had no clue there were only three degrees of separation between myself and John Williams! :blink:

Kobe, for heaven's sake. Put on a life jacket and set a good example.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm more surprised that Kobe didn't know how to wear a life jacket.

I assume he was talking about the mandatory lifeboat drill.

Doesn't mean anything about Kobe, other than that he was on a cruise.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You basically know Johnny!

Feels like we've been best buddies for longer than I can remember. ;)

13 minutes ago, Philippe Roaché said:

Kobe, for heaven's sake. Put on a life jacket and set a good example.

It is beautiful to see this rumour develop in front of my very eyes! :lol:

14 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Didn't he turn down the lifetime achievement award some years ago, saying he still had more to accomplish?

First, "You need to give this award to other composers because I am not dead yet."

Second, I would prefer he work up a 5 minute concert piece over a straight score release.  

3 hours ago, hornist said:

It is a wonderful score and it should have won!!!

Yes.  Double yes. 

The Book Thief is one of Williams's best scores.

14 minutes ago, Tom said:

Second, I would prefer he work up a 5 minute concert piece over a straight score release

I'll second that.