John Williams to Score Kobe Bryant short film "Dear Basketball"

pete

Okay, someone do a mock-up quick! :P

(On a serious note, awesome to see sheet music, even if I can't read it)

Also:

1 minute ago, Tom said:

This is probably the first time in many years Williams has composed a score for a movie with a near-final edit while scoring. 

Yes! And it also probably was built with Williams in mind, at least to some extent. Projects like this usually really depend on only the mix of music and picture to carry them along. I think the music will be treated very well. 

Will we get a soundtrack release for this because I don't care who's scoring it, I have no intention of watching anything about American sports. 

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

A soundtrack release for an animated short (which is probably under 20 minutes long)? Unlikely.

It might end up being released on some Williams compilation later down the road, though.

Yeah, I should have just release rather than soundtrack. 

I'm ok with waiting for it to show up on a compilation though. 

I doubt there would be a straight "soundtrack" release, but its Williams.  He will create a concert version of the piece, perform it likely this summer, and we will have that version. 

Somehow I'd always imagined this film to be really kiddy and colorful because that's the first thing I think when I hear "animation." 

Looks like they're going a much more "grown-up" route here, which totally makes sense. 

6 minutes ago, Will said:

Somehow I'd always imagined this film to be really kiddy and colorful because that's the first thing I think when I hear "animation."

Clearly you need to watch more animated stuff than just the usual Disney fare!

1 hour ago, Will said:

Bloodbait's right, watch Felidae, Plague Dogs, Watership Down, Princess Mononoke or Grave of the Fireflies.... Plenty of stuff to choose from.

2 hours ago, Will said:

Cartoons are for the kiddies, and dont let them tell you otherwise!

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Will, I don't think I knew your Kobe fandom was this intense.

6 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Will is just a fan of Kobe because Kobe is a fan of someone Will is a fan of.

No, Disco Stu, I'm not any sort of Kobe superfan haha. 

I just used to be an enormous sports fan so Williams sports projects always make me really excited. 

Also, what BloodBoal said. ;)

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

Next he will combine the two, and it will result in John Williams's greatest masterpiece: Koray's Theme

Maybe he'll title it "The Adventures of Kobe".

Somehow I have a feeling this will sound kind of like the "NBC Olympic Basketball" music he wrote a while back:

It almost sounds un-Williams-y in its level of accessibility -- but accessibility and instant gravitas may be exactly what Kobe wants. It's awesome in any case so I certainly wouldn't mind if Williams worked in the same style. 

24 minutes ago, Will said:

Somehow I have a feeling this will sound kind of like the "NBC Olympic Basketball" music he wrote a while back:

It almost sounds un-Williams-y in its level of accessibility -- but accessibility and instant gravitas may be exactly what Kobe wants. It's awesome in any case so I certainly wouldn't mind if Williams worked in the same style. 

Not un-Williams-y at all; it's derived from Summon the Heroes; in fact it's just a soft variation of it.

1 minute ago, zoltan_902 said:

Not un-Williams-y at all; it's derived from Summon the Heroes; in fact it's just a soft variation of it.

I did know it uses the Summon the Heroes melody. I have just thought ever since I heard it that it was in a much more accessible language than Williams usually writes in. Maybe others will disagree. 

1 minute ago, Will said:

I did know it uses the Summon the Heroes melody. I have just thought ever since I heard it that it was in a much more accessible language than Williams usually writes in. Maybe others will disagree. 

I've never heard it before, but I like it, though I find it a bit absurd that it's supposed to be music for basketball - it sound way too noble for a game as rough and dynamic as that.

4 minutes ago, zoltan_902 said:

I've never heard it before, but I like it, though I find it a bit absurd that it's supposed to be music for basketball - it sound way too noble for a game as rough and dynamic as that.

Well haha the basketball name is actually a bit arbitrary, I believe - the first time JWFans heard it was on the NBC Basketball channel back during the 2004 Olympics during times where they would just show the NBC logo when there were no games going on.  

I'd bet that Williams just wrote it as a general Olympics piece for use as needed on the NBC networks. And indeed, it was used during the primetime show intro on the main NBC network several times during the Rio Games, presumably among many other non-basketball-related instances. 

I'm actually not even sure when it was written. Possibly around 2004, but possibly even in the 80s. I don't know. 

Just now, crumbs said:

So is this technically Williams' second animated film score, after Tintin?

Yup -- unless you count smaller in-film things, like the openings of GUIDE FOR THE MARRIED MAN or NOT WITH MY WIFE YOU DON'T. Or "Mr. DNA" from JURASSIC PARK. Etc.