John Williams to Score Kobe Bryant short film "Dear Basketball"

pete

That is simply a variant of Summon The Heroes that a JWFanner noticed for the first time on a temporary channel set up for Olympic basketball games.  It was not music written FOR basketball at all.  There was another one we found for the first time on the Olympic soccer channel

Edited portions of them were first used as bumpers for coverage of the 2004 Olympic games, so probably then.

Oh, I just realized it was so stupid of me to even suggest that it could have been written in the 80s ... since Summon the Heroes wasn't written until 1996! So it had to have been after that.

2 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Glen posted this on Facebook a couple of hours ago

glen.jpg

Kobe Bryant closes his eyes and listens for the first time to John Williams beautiful and emotional score for "Dear Basketball".

Analogous to many great works of art before it, Kobe represents all of us. 

Isn't this guy like a legend to all the cock stains around here that think I'm the weirdo for listening to this wordless background elevator music? The irony is unprecedented.

25 minutes ago, king mark said:

I know what it's going to sound like. It's gonna be a "quirky jazzy piece" with saxophone

13 minutes ago, Tom said:

I predict it will sound like a cross between Song for World Peace and the Olympic music, with a bit more percussion thrown in. 

The former would be preferable, actually.  

My guess it will be a general Americana approach but with a lot of jazz progressions (and maybe even some instrumentation) thrown in there in its more pure Williams style.

10 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

The former would be preferable, actually.  

CMIYC suite is great, but it says all Williams needs to say with a sax. 

On 12/03/2017 at 8:31 PM, Muad'Dib said:

Kobe Bryant closes his eyes and listens for the first time to John Williams beautiful and emotional score...

Imagine if Williams started playing this:

On 14/03/2017 at 2:22 PM, LampPost said:

Imagine if Williams started playing this:

On 15/03/2017 at 4:22 AM, Rose Dawson said:

Yuck!

What a cock stain. 

8 hours ago, Tom said:

Sounds like a ready-to-go concert piece.

Yeah, I'm hoping it has a stronger self-contained structure as opposed to a slightly episodic or "mickey-mousey" score cue.

Should be a nice piece, though. About as long as I expected for something like this.

Here is what I think is updated text to Bryant's Instagram from the previous page (I don't know how to embed Instagram):

"kobebryantWhat an amazing day!! Thank you Glen Keane for the hand drawn #animation art you have created and thank you John Williams for bringing your timeless melody and soulful composition to #DearBasketball. I can't wait to debut our film at the Tribeca film festival in April. #Kobeincstudios #CreateForever"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRd5QzPAb_z/

When an old artist (85 yo in this case) is asked by a younger person to collaborate on a new "little" project like this, two things can happen: a very conservative general thing, perhaps even a parody of an ancient work, or, on another hand, a very innovative thing, done in tight collaboration with the young artist, especially created for him.

Of course I hope for the second choice... but...

Disney used to track a lot of JW into their movies (particularly during the time Glen worked over there) so I think we can expect great things for this.

That's pretty cool, do you remember any specific examples or sources for that?

Funny that they never got him to score anything, wonder if he was ever asked...you gotta figure he must have been.

27 minutes ago, Rose Dawson said:

The ShoWest trailer for Titanic was temp-tracked with not only the Enya song from Far and Away, but Williams' score. You can sort of hear influence on Horner's score.

Yeah weren't there some posters floating around that said music by John Williams?

3 hours ago, king mark said:

with microedits

The sentimental Kobe Bryant theme for flute, strings, and piano will be available in an edited arrangement on iTunes and he will perform that in concert, while the badass 3-minute percussion/brass interlude for the basketball game that you can barely hear under Kobe's narration and crowd/gameplay sound effects will be edited out and never heard again.