Michael Giacchino's DOCTOR STRANGE (2016)

Jay

Announced via his twitter

I would have thought Christopher Young would have gotten the gig, but this could be a fun score for him after Zootopia and Star Trek Beyond.

Let's hope Gia can tap into some magic for this one.

I like the 3.5 Bryan Tyler Bates scores - I think they're my favorites of those composer's bodies of work.  I find myself listening to them more than Doyle's Thor and Djiwadi's Iron Man, at any rate, and probably just as much as the Silvestri MCU scores.

Overall, across the board the MCU stuff doesn't thrill me outside of a cherry-picked cue here or there, though.

This is actually rather surprising, after all the talk that the producers wanted Hansy to take the gig. But hey, a Marvel Giacchino score could be a lot of fun. I actually would like to see him try the next Avengers picture. At least we know he'd bring some of the older themes back.

51 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Christopher Young would have been more suitable for this project... But it's not bad news at all.

Karol

Yeah why do they keep sideswiping actual good composers?

I'd think so. Tyler no longer meets serviceable levels for me either.

24 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Gay men can't be friends without occasionally bumming each other! No way!

Rare, but possible.

Karol

39 minutes ago, crocodile said:

You'll find a true and genuine mate sooner or later, Stefan. Just be patient.

Karol

He needs a nice, rugged manly man at his full blooming manliness!

I suppose I'm a Giacchino skeptic despite being very fond of some of his work.  He's too unpredictable and uneven to not be skeptical.  If nothing else, his recent compositional strides may suggest that the underscore will be solid and that it'll deliver the, errr, strangeness that the subject merits.  Thematically, it could go either way.

1 hour ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I suppose I'm a Giacchino skeptic despite being very fond of some of his work.  He's too unpredictable and uneven to not be skeptical.  If nothing else, his recent compositional strides may suggest that the underscore will be solid and that it'll deliver the, errr, strangeness that the subject merits.  Thematically, it could go either way.

I'm somewhat intrigued. But cannot imagine a Doctor Strange score from him.

It's like expecting Danny Elfman to do an Alan Silvestri score... Oh wait..

Karol

• 3 months later...

Cool.  An actual harpsichord instead of a synth.  Of course with how advanced instrument software is these days, my untrained ear wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway.