Michael Giacchino's DOCTOR STRANGE (2016)

Jay

Just now, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Powell would be a good choice!

Though I don't recall which one, but I think he recently said in an interview that he was going to focus on concert works and do less film :(

A Powell Star Wars score could be pretty great, and actually the plot and setting of Rogue One would probably be more suited to him than other potential spinoff film possibilities, other than maybe the Boba Fett one

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I'd rather see Giacchino on Han Solo and Powell on Rogue One, than the other way around

Big fan of them both, and I think I agree. Alas, I doubt Powell will see the Star Wars franchise. Boba Fett is an outside possibility. James Newton Howard for McGregor's Kenobi movie (somewhat akin to the meditative Last Days in the Desert) which exists in my head.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Jay said:

Haven't listened to it yet

The end credits is the only difference, right?

At first glance, it looks like it's just the OST with the last three cues combined.

OK I was able to check out the FYC this morning.

I only listened to the final track, so don't know if the first 16 tracks are different from their OST counterparts (IE, contain an Insert that the OST didn't use).  The lengths are practically identical for all of these; I may do a visual scan for differences in Sound Forge later if I'm motivated.

The final track, however, is a different story.  It breaks down like this

• [0:00-5:30] = "Strange Days Ahead" (OST track 17), but edited a bit
  • [5:30-7:30] = The UNRELEASED beginning of the end credits.  Though to me, honestly, it sounded like it could just be tracked music from earlier in the score?
  • [7:30-11:10] = "The Master of the Mystic End Credits" (OST track 18), perhaps with a little bit of a different mix at the beginning
  • [11:10-12:50] = The UNRELEASED after credits bonus scene music

This spreadsheet should help

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16U-LlqcWIDc3D8BT7xWdX2cRTXXGBPqia2q90QzdpGk/pubhtml

• 4 weeks later...
On 2017-01-31 at 3:52 PM, Jay said:

I only listened to the final track, so don't know if the first 16 tracks are different from their OST counterparts (IE, contain an Insert that the OST didn't use).  The lengths are practically identical for all of these; I may do a visual scan for differences in Sound Forge later if I'm motivated.

Did you ever listen to the whole FYC? I'd really like to know wether the first 16 tracks are different or unreleased!

Yea, I listened to the FYC afer I saw the film.  No idea if anything in the first 16 tracks is different than the OST >shrug<

If you are dying to know, can't you compare them yourself?

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...
On 6/28/2017 at 6:21 PM, Disco Stu said:

As much as this score was underwhelming, I'd still really like to have the cue for his arrival in Katmandu that's missing from the OST.

Ha, I searched for this thread to say that the sessions leaked and this was the cue I was happiest to have now.  Funny it was the last post in the thread.

The cue is "Pangborn Again."  Good stuff.

Yea, I wanted to ask what everyone's favorite cues are on the leak that weren't on the OST?

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea, I wanted to ask what everyone's favorite cues are on the leak that weren't on the OST?

"Pangborn Again" for sure! That flute! A must for fans of the score

I already said it, but I'll say it again!  "Pangborn Again" should 100% have been on the OST, it's crazy to me that it was left off.  Especially considering some of the very nondescript cues they decided to include.

Just now, saulocf said:

"Pangborn Again" for sure! That flute! A must for fans of the score

Jinx!

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I already said it, but I'll say it again!  "Pangborn Again" should 100% have been on the OST, it's crazy to me that it was left off.  Especially considering some of the very nondescript cues they decided to include.

And the OST takes a while to take flight. That cue would have helped a lot!

Yep, it's far from his best work, but there's some really nice moments

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I can't remember a thing about this score!

You don't remember when the theme starts and you say "oh that's the Star Trek theme" and it's not ?

I have never thought that his Strange theme sounded like his Star Trek theme and am surprised how many people do.

1 minute ago, Obi said:

You don't remember when the theme starts and you say "oh that's the Star Trek theme" and it's not ?

I make jokes, but this doesn't actually bother me at all.

Heck, all of Elmer Bernstein's fantastic scores for Westerns in the 60s he was essentially just doing the Magnificent Seven over and over again and it's never bothered me in the slightest.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I make jokes, but this doesn't actually bother me at all.

I make jokes too, the score are maybe a little tto much atonal "Matrix" material but is really enjoyable.

15 hours ago, Jay said:

I have never thought that his Strange theme sounded like his Star Trek theme and am surprised how many people do.

I mean, it's not exactly 1:1 the same or anything, but there is definitely a similarity (though no more similarity than Christmas Star's to the Accidental Tourist Theme or The Fathers Theme from Catch Me If You Can)

17 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The Dour Dutchman!

Guess I should pick up the slack

Only I am terrible at jokes.

And yeah i never found it similar to star trek sounding either. 

• 3 years later...