Meeting John Williams

Hello everyone,

I, like I assume all of you are, am a huge fan of the maestro John Williams. He has influenced me a whole lot on me being a music composer, and although there are so many great composers out there, there is only one John Williams.

I am going to see him in Tanglewood for the August 13th concert. I was wondering if anyone knew at all how I'd be able to meet him. Whether it's before the show, backstage, after the show, etc. I have heard of people who knew orchestra members who let them in backstage, but I currently don't know any members of the Boston Pops. I am, however, awaiting a response from a friend who may potentially know the Boston Pops. Bottom line is: It's a long drive, a lot of money, and all at a difficult time that I will be seeing him conduct. Although seeing him conduct his music will already be a dream, meeting him would just be incredible. I have in my mind that this may be my only chance to meet him as he's getting older and to a point where he may eventually retire from at least conducting/traveling sometime soon. With this all in mind, I just want to try my best as far as trying to meet him.  All I'd like is to just talk to him for a couple minutes and thank him for all the work he's done and for inspiring me so much, and have him sign my The Force Awakens album.

Anyway, if you guys have any ideas on how and if this is possible and maybe who have already met him, I'd greatly appreciate you response.

Thanks,

Dane

I've had the same experience the few times I've been to Tanglewood. Whatever way he gets in and out of the venue, it's not through any area that's accessible to audience members. You'd have more chance waiting outside before one of his Boston shows, although even then you'd be lucky to get an autograph, and likely wouldn't have the chance to really speak to him. For that, even just writing a letter might give you a slightly better chance of reaching him, although you would likely get a canned response.

It's easier to meet the Pope than John Williams these days. On the two occasions I've seen him live, I've not been successful in even getting a picture with him (except one with him in the background, surrounded by autograph hounds), much less a meeting and interview.

I was able to get an autograph from Williams at Tanglewood in 2010 and share a few words with him. He was sitting in the audience during part of the program which was conducted by Keith Lockhart. During intermission, Williams remained near his seat and talked to some fans, gave away autographs, etc. I guess I was really lucky and it was a different time...

11 hours ago, Sandor said:

I was able to get an autograph from Williams at Tanglewood in 2010 and share a few words with him. He was sitting in the audience during part of the program which was conducted by Keith Lockhart. During intermission, Williams remained near his seat and talked to some fans, gave away autographs, etc. I guess I was really lucky and it was a different time...

What!? That really happened?  Wow!

12 hours ago, Sandor said:

I guess I was really lucky and it was a different time...

I remember when things were so lax that you could wander at will in and out of the buildings and grounds there while things were going on, catch rehearsals, maybe snag some of the players or even Williams himself** for a word.  The last time I was there I got the impression this had greatly changed.

** If you manage to run into him, have something suave, succinct, and genuine to say to him without gushing - and if you're musical yourself, mention it!

1 hour ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

** If you manage to run into him, have something suave, succinct, and genuine to say to him without gushing - and if you're musical yourself, mention it!

Hey Johnny baby, lovin' those hot Lydian chords you got there.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

No the shed. 

I didn't even attempt to get to the back room. I don't wanna go to Gitmo.

That's what I meant though.  More than once did I just drift in and out unhindered!  But now the terrorists have won.

#freetanglewood

#makeamericagreatagain

#trump2016

2 hours ago, Jay said:

What!? That really happened?  Wow!

collage750_zpslekxybki.jpg

It was an awesome moment. Surreal, magical. I remember he put his hand on my shoulder at the end and said: 'Enjoy the rest of the concert my friend'. It still makes me smile 6 years later. :)

29 minutes ago, Sandor said:

collage750_zpslekxybki.jpg

It was an awesome moment. Surreal, magical. I remember he put his hand on my shoulder at the end and said: 'Enjoy the rest of the concert my friend'. It still makes me smile 6 years later. :)

Wow!  This is so awesome!

The frustration that this never happened for me, is now so great that I can't look at these pictures anymore. Everyone and their grandmother have apparently managed a meeting of sorts, but not me. Can't even be happy for others at this point. Just miserable and consumed by envy. LOL! :D

36 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Did you say anything to him?

All i said was "Whaaahaallbbblaagh!"

Something about coming from The Netherlands, where to sign the program booklet (it was Williams who thought it was a good idea to put it at the top where it would be most visible - I wasn't able to make any decision at that moment)... The impact made me forget about what else was said.... "Whaaahaallbbblaagh!" indeed...

I wasnt able to think straight either. Jason had given us all sharpies and I had two when Williams approached me to sign my LP. And my mind could not decide which sharpie to give him, complete brain freeze. Thankfully Williams had his own. I mumbled something at him and he said something to me. I wish I remembered more!

51 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I wasnt able to think straight either. Jason had given us all sharpies and I had two when Williams approached me to sign my LP. And my mind could not decide which sharpie to give him, complete brain freeze. Thankfully Williams had his own. I mumbled something at him and he said something to me. I wish I remembered more!

:lol:

On the bright side, he's probably used to people doing silly stuff in front of him. Actually, he probably likes it, because it shows that you regard him highly (well...depends on what kind of silly thing you do)

Start here and go forward and you will see pictures of Stefan meeting John Williams in his John Williams shirt

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/22593-john-williams-at-symphony-hall-june-7-12-2013-boston-ma/&page=15

Wow, that's awesome. :D Looks like you guys had a lot of fun (shame about those professional autographers though)

And that's actually a very nice-looking T-shirt...

Sometimes I think it's just matter of luck and happenstance when it comes to these things. Back in 2007, I waited for JW outside the backdoor of Symphony Center in Chicago--there were just me, my three friends and maybe two or three other guys. JW was happy and open with everyone, signing stuff, posing for pics and exchanging a few words with every person there. I'm glad I was able to say something with sense.

However, when I was again in Chicago in 2013, there was a pretty big crowd (at least 30 or 40 people) waiting for him at the same backdoor, so JW's personnel rightfully protected him and made his way fast into the car. What was particularly annoying was that most of the people there were just waving LP covers in front of him in search of an autograph and some of them were also quite aggressive. He actually stopped like for 30 seconds to sign some stuff, but the situation was much more complicated than '07, so I didn't even try to get close. I just waved at him and gave him a thumb up, to which he replied smiling :)

I guess now the only way to have a proper meeting is knowing someone that can help you going backstage after a concert.

14 hours ago, Jay said:

Yea that's basically my same experience when I had my Hook LP signed by him

"Hook", on LP? Wow! Is it a double LP?

The closest I ever got to JW was having my LP copy of "TTI" scribbled on from behind a closed door, at The Barbican, 4th July, 1998. That and looking right up his ass (I was in the middle of row D for both set A and set B).

I've never met the man and kind of doubt I ever will, which makes me sad. I did meet Michael Giacchino one time at a work event, though. Very nice guy, very personable.

No, but it would make sense in a Meeting Michael Giacchino thread. 

But we could also make a Meeting the mailman thread. Meeting the traffic circle. Meeting the bartender. Hooray. 

Boston is basically like a disaster now, with the people mobbing that door.  I'm embarrassed for some of those people and the way they conduct themselves trying to get his attention.

59 minutes ago, Joe Brausam said:

Boston is basically like a disaster now, with the people mobbing that door.  I'm embarrassed for some of those people and the way they conduct themselves trying to get his attention.

Like that vid of Morricone being mobbed the day after his Oscar win.

4 hours ago, Plastic Wojtastic Lover said:

No, but it would make sense in a Meeting Michael Giacchino thread. 

But we could also make a Meeting the mailman thread. Meeting the traffic circle. Meeting the bartender. Hooray. 

Wait, we have people here who've met the mailman?!

A couple of years ago, at Tanglewood, we tried to meet him but to no luck. Nevertheless a lady from the organization did said that if we happened to be around a couple days earlier (during the week, when are less people around), we could easily find him strolling around the grounds...

I have never had the desire to meet my idol. 

I would be content to just see him conduct in person.

Well, I had no idea I was going to have this many replies, lol. So thanks to all who have posted here, I appreciate it. I see that some see it as very tough to meet him and some who have met him. From what I've been reading mostly, is that over the years it's been tougher to meet him. I've never been to Tanglewood. Is it going to be very busy at the end of the show where you will be bumping into people trying to find where you'd meet him? This said, what would you think would be better: During rehearsal, during the show (maybe when the other is conducting), or after the show?

In reply to Koray: That's really cool you've met them. How were they when you met them?